Xbox 360 to Receive More GTA IV Episodic Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I say they couldn't cut-price full-stop? Or did I say that they couldn't cut-price at the same rate at Sony? They've been given plenty to cut their prices further (Europe, Australia and Canada for example).

Its a bit ignorant to ignore the fact there is more leeway for price-cutting in the PS3, especially given Sony's expertise in this area.

It doesn't matter. Either way it's a silly assertion. As I pointed out, Sony hasn't put pressure on them to match anything. So there's no basis to assume MS could, or could not, match the rate that Sony dropped price. All we know is they didn't feel it was necessary to do so...well, we also know that MS as a company is 'able' to do almost anything they want to ;) I'll grant you that from a manufacturing standpoint 360 couldn't match PS3, the overpriced BR components ensured that...

At the end of that day the PS3 has dropped 33% in 12 months, MS has only dropped 12.5 % in 24 months.

It doesn't take a genious to see that MS is probably in a much more comfortable position with regards to additional price drops.

Regardless, all I said was that it was "unlikely" that Sony could do another pridedrop so soon after the holiday's, I never said it wasn't possible. Actually, I think it's integral to their global strategy that they do drop another $100 this spring, that would give them a fighting chance in NA..... but I don't really think they'll do it.

Also, I notice you said GTA could be a big help in Europe which is what I was responding to, so I'm not sure where NPD data comes into it. Given the price disparity (or lack thereof) and the relative brand strengths here, I see the influence of the forthcoming downloadable content questionable to say the least.

NPD comes into when looking at MS ability to drop price, the necessity of the drop, and their overall global strategy. Obviously, due to stong NA sales, and good EU sales, they felt they did not need to agressively drop price.

It doesn't matter. Either way it's a silly assertion. As I pointed out, Sony hasn't put pressure on them to match anything. So there's no basis to assume MS could, or could not, match the rate that Sony dropped price. All we know is they didn't feel it was necessary to do so...well, we also know that MS as a company is 'able' to do almost anything they want to ;) I'll grant you that from a manufacturing standpoint 360 couldn't match PS3, the overpriced BR components ensured that...

At the end of that day the PS3 has dropped 33% in 12 months, MS has only dropped 12.5 % in 24 months.

It doesn't take a genious to see that MS is probably in a much more comfortable position with regards to additional price drops.

Regardless, all I said was that it was "unlikely" that Sony could do another pridedrop so soon after the holiday's, I never said it wasn't possible. Actually, I think it's integral to their global strategy that they do drop another $100 this spring, that would give them a fighting chance in NA..... but I don't really think they'll do it.

NPD comes into when looking at MS ability to drop price, the necessity of the drop, and their overall global strategy. Obviously, due to stong NA sales, and good EU sales, they felt they did not need to agressively drop price.

Its not silly if you read it carefully.

I also think its rudimentary to ignore the fact that the $1bn loss incurred has massively impacted its aim of consistent profits over the life of the 360.

Also, I'm not sure why your post continues to talk about the US, when you were previously talking about the effect of GTA 4 on Europe (sales have been OK in the UK, very poor elsewhere). Nevermind...:LOL:

Its not silly if you read it carefully.

I also think its rudimentary to ignore the fact that the $1bn loss incurred has massively impacted its aim of consistent profits over the life of the 360.

More so than the massive losses Sony's gaming division has been posting?

If one would be looking for a prime example of a thread gone wrong, this would be it. Folks, communication means talking to people not throwing phrases and nonsense around the dividing lines like grenades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back