AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
New It isn't a well known fact because it isn't a fact at all.
It is a fact no matter how you'll want to spin it. You get basically the same result as you'd get from system level FSR integration.

The Lanczos kernel is neither a fixed parameter equation, nor is it the only algorythm used in FSR.
It is the only algorithm used for upscaling. You can add any sharpening on top of it on Nv GPU to get the second algorithm used in FSR as well. No idea what "fixed parameter" means.

It is a fact no matter how you'll want to spin it. You get basically the same result as you'd get from system level FSR integration.
Nope

5-tap Lanczos filter used by NV scaling method integrated in drivers doesn't provide the same result as EASU which is based on modified 2-tap Lanczos etc.

It is the only algorithm used for upscaling. You can add any sharpening on top of it on Nv GPU to get the second algorithm used in FSR as well. No idea what "fixed parameter" means.
NV is using simple sharpening filter.

AMD is using Cotrast Adaptive Sharpening via RIS in drivers and enhanced RCAS algorithm is used by FSR

Nope

5-tap Lanczos filter used by NV scaling method integrated in drivers doesn't provide the same result as EASU which is based on modified 2-tap Lanczos etc.
Yeah, 5-tap gives better quality. But the results are close enough anyway because the algorithm is the same.

NV is using simple sharpening filter.
Nv isn't using anything. A user may use about a dozen or so sharpening filters through drivers, GFE and Reshade, including CAS.
Also do note that "AMD is using" everything in FSR on Nv h/w too. So it's not really a versus scenarios, it's just another bonus for GeForce users.

Yeah, 5-tap gives better quality. But the results are close enough anyway because the algorithm is the same.
Yeah, but 5-tap is also much more prone to artifacting etc.

The whole reason why I mentioned that "NV/AMD is using" was because you came with that first
The fact that you can get a similar in IQ upscaling in any game on Turing+ Nv GPUs via a driver option isn't well known however.

The whole reason why I mentioned that "NV/AMD is using" was because you came with that first
Yeah, well, I consider a system level upscaling of the same variety a close enough solution really since from my own testing so far FSR basically sucks in IQ at any level and I would use it only when there is no other option of improving performance but to lower the resolution - FSR is better than just bilinear upscaling. But this is exactly what GPU scaling on GF does - upscales the lower resolution to your monitor one with Lanczos. Yes, the engine side integration is better since it doesn't affect HUDs and is (presumably) tuned for the game. But since it sucks anyway and is a last resort in getting the performance you want a driver level option is basically the same here (worse artifacting and more user setup needed but compatible with most games from the get go) - and AMD should think about adding it into their drivers really.

Curious as to why you'd need it on a PS3 emulator though... Emulators generally take a lot of CPU power but very little on the GPU front.
Maybe some games are locked to original PS3 resolution? Upscaling them to a modern display with FSR may be an interesting option at least.

Curious as to why you'd need it on a PS3 emulator though... Emulators generally take a lot of CPU power but very little on the GPU front.

The more GPU they use, the more effective they are AFAIK.

Not everyone running RPCS3 is using the latest and greatest GPUs. I know some people that run it on integrated GPUs. Maybe I should put run in quotes there. :p

Regards,
SB

DOSbox has several "HQ" res upscalers for many years now. They all look bad IMO and the best one is simple integer with no filtering.
bladerunner_3x_fsrmwj9i.jpg

Interesting results. (FXAA+FSR)

edit: remade the image.. there was something funky.

Last edited:
FSR seems to increase Posterisation?
Trying to make edges to look sharper on 8bit palette gradients and sharpening filter may both contribute.

Background is also a compressed movie, so identical comparisons are quite hard.

Really like how FXAA fits characters into the backgrounds.
Westwoods stacked 2D vector plane characters had quite strong aliasing in surfaces as well as edges.

Last edited:
Back