AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
This one is even more interesting :)

obrzek_2021-08-12_134ksjzf.png

Those fuckwits inverted the FSR ON/OFF screenshots in their comparator....
I'm not so sure that this is a proper comparison either.
Looks like the "Off" one is just bilinear upscale from same native resolution instead of actual rendering in native res.
But such way of putting it make sense for a console comparison I think.

I'm not so sure that this is a proper comparison either.
Looks like the "Off" one is just bilinear upscale from same native resolution instead of actual rendering in native res.
But such way of putting it make sense for a console comparison I think.
I think that is the purpose actually - to compare it against other upscalers and Not native. That is where FSR will shine.

these are my first screengrabs ever both playing on Linux and having FSR enabled, playing Resident Evil 2 Remake. The game is set to 1440p (my monitor's resolution). Tbh, I can't really discern a difference with native rendering 'cos I dont have material to compare as of now.

HWLvZH3.jpg

lggQ3ng.jpg

rkU5XTr.png

aYvQyBh.png

Closest one I have is this HDR screengrab in .jxr format playing the Windows version a few months ago.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlQRiTnVy1R2jZRiYYZbNqnGGieg7Q?e=sTQOAq

ADD FSR TO ALL YOUR GAMES ON LINUX

How to setup Lutris, which is a very very good application, to use FSR on a game by game basis.

For Lutris it not advised to use Proton, but the Wine version which is maintained by Glorious Egg Roll.

https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom

(thx to Zummer for the pics)

On the main menu, open "Manage Runners"

L4Au9dv.png

Look for the Wine runner in the list of runners. Click on the green button to install.

axotFsz.png

Several versions will appear. Those compatible with FSR shall say "fshack".

MVuY5XC.png

Environment variables are added in their own section. And there is the possibility of adding them globally or game by game, being the latter the most recommended procedure since a variable can be good or bad depending on the game.

To add variables you just have to right click on the game and select "Configure". From there you go to the "System options" tab and scroll down to find the Environment Variables section.

Fqq6uE1.png

There you have the "Add" button. To add the variables there are 2 columns, one for the variable name, and the second to add a value.

To enable FSR you must add a variable...

For the first column the variable is:
WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR

Have the following value in the second column:

If we want to use a variable to adjust the quality level of FSR we add another one.

First column:
WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR_STRENGTH

Second column:
A value from 1 to 5

whoa! thats really nice to be able to make any game got FSR working.

but...uh...

1st screenshot. Okay this is nice. Linux is now looking to be more user friendly, more windows-like. Just going into menus.
2nd screenshot, uhuh.
3rd screenshot, uh? hah? wat?
4th screenshot, *mind explodes*

i wonder if someone gonna make a terminal script that do it in one click. Even better if its integrated to the 1st screenshot (e.g. right click and "enable FSR")

I'm waiting for ADD FSR TO ALL YOUR GAMES IN WINDOWS.....
Gaming on Windows is a delight. The games run at 165Hz, or you can lock them to whatever framerate you want and it's mostly plug & pla. Great nVidia drivers and great support, HDR, etc.

tbh, I dont mind gaming on Linux, but I satiated my curiosity and now I have installed a couple of OSes to play with.

"Universal FSR" is not perfect, it has its caveats, 'cos ideally you implement it within the frame, and this FSR method enables the upscaling after the frame is built.

You mean like Lossless Scaling?

gotta buy it now that you mention it, specially 'cos nVidia dont want to add support to simple things like Integer Scaling to Geforce 10xx series.

Only works on Windows it seems, but I use Windows as my main OS, 'cos I also have a lot of MS apps linked to my Android phone. (back when I had a Windows phone it was great to make a photo and then have it uploaded to Onedrive by default, helped me immensely in many cases)

a very interesing guide on Lossless Scaling, since it gives curious hints about how FSR is actually working on games

Last edited:
and now I have installed a couple of OSes to play with.
You need to try Temple OS it's like windows but with more jesus

ps: How does lossless scaling work with unusual aspect ratio's (like 32:10)
pps: does it run outside of steam (if I want to use it on a non steam game)

Last edited:
a very interesing guide on Lossless Scaling, since it gives curious hints about how FSR is actually working on games

Especially interesting as he doesn't adjust the resolution of the game after the beginning..
I guess the lossless scaling scales a it bit and then windows or something takes it to the rest of the way.

Scaling factor is in one direction.
Pretty sure in his case he should use auto and just change the rendering resolution in game.
Have never tested auto, so I'm not sure it works.

manually set scaling factor should be set according to the render resolution.

Back