AMD FSR antialiasing discussion

• Thread starter Deleted member 90741
  • Start date
Valve talks about FSR on Steam Deck:

One new technology that is already working on the Steam Deck is AMD’s FidelityFX super sampling, which helps achieve higher frame rates through the use of upscaled images. “We've actually been working pretty closely with AMD on testing FSR, and giving them feedback throughout the development process,” said Griffais. “As you've seen, we've released a Dota 2 update that supports FSR. All these games that support FSR just work on this device, and FSR kicks in just the way you'd expect.”

so..., something amazing has been achieved, FSR is now universally applied to any game out there!
Yup. ;)

Elite Dangerous has FSR added for players on the Odessey expansion. I'm on at 1080p screen, so it really doesn't help much on a game that has poor antialiasing options to begin with.

Might see if I can use DSR + FSR to perverse some image quality out of an upsample downsample bungfight

Elite Dangerous has FSR added for players on the Odessey expansion. I'm on at 1080p screen, so it really doesn't help much on a game that has poor antialiasing options to begin with.

Might see if I can use DSR + FSR to perverse some image quality out of an upsample downsample bungfight
I think someone already tested this and you can (and in some cases might be even worth it if you tolerate FSR to begin with)

Sorry but what is gen 4/5 TAA I didnt know AA had generations?

Well, it can get better over time because they update how it works. The "gen" and "4 and 5" are rather arbitrary here, just meant to distinguish the two. First is older and does an ok job for cheap, second does a great job similar or better than DLSS, but is expensive to run.

It will likely look rather horrendous.
640x480 games could look decent or games with already antialiased art when there is no need for FXAA to give gradients.

Wing Commander 2 and Ultima Underworld 2 looked quite blurry, although I loved to see AA on them.

640x480 games could look decent or games with already antialiased art when there is no need for FXAA to give gradients.

Wing Commander 2 and Ultima Underworld 2 looked quite blurry, although I loved to see AA on them.
DOSbox has several "HQ" res upscalers for many years now. They all look bad IMO and the best one is simple integer with no filtering.

DOSbox has several "HQ" res upscalers for many years now. They all look bad IMO and the best one is simple integer with no filtering.
Yeah, those are bad and yes, integer scaling might be best overall. (Will have to test someday.)
Haven't really found way to add AA when using any of them.

Would be awesome if one could force supersampling to software renderers. :D

AMD FSR Based on Modified Lanczos Upscaler, Can Be Enabled On NVIDIA GPUs Using Control Panel For Similar Results In Games
August 5, 2021
AMD's FSR has received a positive response across the gaming and tech community for bringing an open-source solution that rivals NVIDIA and is hardware agnostic (in a way). AMD FSR runs on both, NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon GPUs and several developers have shown just how easy it is to implement within games though it looks like people digging through the source code have found out that the tech behind FSR might be a little too similar to something that NVIDIA has offered in its control panel for a while now.

It isn't a well known fact because it isn't a fact at all. The Lanczos kernel is neither a fixed parameter equation, nor is it the only algorythm used in FSR.

New Heh, seems like someone discovered America again :D

We already knew that since source code release.
Is it surprising that the article is coming from Tom's "just buy Nvidia" Hardware though?

Back