Amazing New Gears Of War Footage

Platon said:
london-boy said:
Animation could (and should) be much much better. Looks very good though.

I'm sure they are still working on that, but generaly I think that animation will not advance as much as graphics do, so although I do expect GOW to get better animation han shown here, I do not see the same jump as with graphics, next gen graphics, last gen animation :( ...

Well i'll be very disappointed if in the next gen all we get is better graphics but the animation stays the same.

I'm pretty confident that won't be the case though.

serenity said:
Did they even give out a expected time frame for its release ? All I remember is "Emergence Day 2006" which could be well over 14 months from now. ;)

It has a loose date of Q1 2006, but that's assuming there are no delays.

serenity said:
dukmahsik said:
This game looks stunning so far! you guys need to keep in mind it's not due until 6-9 months away so of course it is going to be improved on.
Did they even give out a expected time frame for its release ? All I remember is "Emergence Day 2006" which could be well over 14 months from now. ;)

I think that at E3 they sadi that the game was one year away, but sure since the "Emergence Day" is 2006 they really can't be late, unless they have to delay it until 2007...

Powderkeg said:
serenity said:

It has a loose date of Q1 2006, but that's assuming there are no delays.
The way Cliffy B was speaking, it looked like they had a lot of time on their hands for its release.

On Spectator mode:

"I want to do some stuff like Embedded Reporter type like CNN type War coverage type stuff in the game but we'll see .. we're not quite ready to talk about that yet."

london-boy said:
Platon said:
london-boy said:
Animation could (and should) be much much better. Looks very good though.

I'm sure they are still working on that, but generaly I think that animation will not advance as much as graphics do, so although I do expect GOW to get better animation han shown here, I do not see the same jump as with graphics, next gen graphics, last gen animation :( ...

Well i'll be very disappointed if in the next gen all we get is better graphics but the animation stays the same.

I'm pretty confident that won't be the case though.

I guess I am a bit dramatic, but I just don't think that animation will keep the same pace as graphics...

I've got to say, I found the chopper scene very different from the action scene. The action had choppy animation and looked very computer-gamey to me, whereas the chopper scene looked much more advanced. Presumably it's a cut scene. But I was left thinking 'why doesn't the rest of the game look as good as that chopper clip? That's looked truly awesome whereas the rest looks no different to a PC game.' - Note it may be much better in content than your average PC shooter as I'm ignorant in the genre, but I didn't feel the in-game shooting monsters looked any more next-gen than existing PC games. Perhaps existing top-end PC is the limit of next-gen? Perhaps I expect too much? I think the animation was what let it down for me. That's an area I really feel needs a lot of work next gen. True skeletons, IK, physical simulation of movement, are what'll make the difference for next-gen movements.

It's a shame that this far in all we really have for Next-gen is better visuals and more monsters. There isn't much to look at and say 'that's next-gen anmiation technologies' or 'that's next-gen AI' or 'next-gen physics'. I hope, and am confident it will be the case, that next-gen is more than just this gen with a facelift. Of course launch titles aren;t the area to see that.

I'll admit, this game is what got me to plunk down the cash to reserve a 360. Other than the slightly "mr. Burns-ish" way the main character seems to walk, (at this early stage, anyway), this game looks fantastic. It kind of reminds me of the first time I saw "Strider" on the Genesis.

I think the chopper scene looks different because the characters are bing lit from the front and there was some kind of HDR or filter effect going on in the cutscene.

The chopper scene was incredible. The rest of the is hi-res very very good textures... stiff animations... ok special effects. Its next genereation casue theres nothing with that level of detail i've ever seen...

Not sure howd you "see" next gen AI though but the phyiscs in GoW suck right now...

Is the game necessarily using 3Dc? Wonder how they're handling all the high res normal mapping etc... streaming things as they go ala Halo 2 or loading smaller sections ala Conker?

Off topic:

Who said Killzone was pre-rendered and when?

No flames. Just want a link. It's such a taboo to speak of the game here but darn it I want some clarity. Pre-rendered CG, rendered (at a low FPS) and spooled together like Heavenly Sword, pre-rendered with in game assets...what...I just want to know.

Cliffy right? ...Cliffy states "they" came out and said it was pre-rendered but who are they, what did they say and when did they say it? I can't find any sort of concrete announcement be it official or unofficial anywhere.

Just a note...it's interesting Cliffy thinks he can hit those visuals seen in Killzone in Gears of War. Just an observation though.

Back on topic:

I'm curious about the gameplay so far. Will the battles really feel heated if there's always cover? ...with frantic circle strafing style combat?

I suppose the pressure comes from intelligent A.I. flanking the player...at least I hope so. I seems you could just line up a guy pop up, shoot, drop down, rinse, repeat without some good A.I. giving you reason to ever move.

Another thing that perks my interest is the possible absence of large open areas in the game. Open areas do seem to lend themselves to cover to cover combat as there's no where to hide except behind how fast your trigger finger is. I could be wrong though as I think I did see a pic with one of the monsters in a relatively open space, but I'm not sure if that was more to show off speedtree or something else as at that time IIRC we didn't know the creature was from GoW.

I also love the knock on cliche' space aliens attacking you ...hmmm...you mean like in Halo3 maybe? A little friendly competition hehe...

All in all I like the vid as the framerate is MUCH smoother than before and we did get a better look at the combat. I can't wait to see some more of the weapons and weapon effects attached to them at that. I generally can't wait until Epic begins to really tear the HW apart with both next gen consoles. Given their head start in allot of areas I think they should one of the first to start pulling off some really slick shizni :)

It's to my understanding that the Killzone you saw was from the actual game engine, it's just it was running at 5 fps, so they speed up the movie to 60 fps, so it's not really real-time, it's somehwere in the middle.

Anyways, I must say the chopper scene looked incredible and so did the game, but they need to smooth out that framerate, big time. I'm a firm believer that framerate is something that can take a person out of hte moment or universe of the game, so I don't care if they stick with just 30 fps, but at least have it at a constant 30 fps.

The graphics and overall design of the game look good. I'm still less than thrilled about seeing this game in motion though.. I'm not so sure about the current AI either but that will (hopefully) get better.

This Thread is about GoW, not about Killzone trailer being realtime or not.

Simply put, keep on topic. On Topic, keep, you must.

Edit: Some pruning done too.

I don't know I think the AI could be good . I saw them rum from under fire, hit cover, repostion themselves after firing and suppress their opponents. The game still has a ways to go so think of it as playing on a low difficulty level seems like how the game would play on easy.

Another thing I like is fact that grenades have such a large splash area and the fact their seems to be longer range combat than other shooters I have seen. This is a grind it out kind of game wher tactical advantages are key. I mean there was only one scene where they were on an even playing field.

Visually Gears of War looks stellar.

My problem is with the weapon cross-hair being static and the lack of "feel" is seems to give to the firing of a weapon. The only sense of physical gun recoil comes from the animation on the character. Some sort of "camera shake vibration" is needed. Sort of like in NCAA Football has when the stadium crowd effect meter goes into effect. They could have different camera "shake" effects for different weapons.

Back