Amazing New Gears Of War Footage

Sorry, if you don't see the (big fat obious to me ) superiority of jak serie animation compared to any epic title,i cannot help.
The first wrong thing is probably that the GOW main character is animated as if he was wearing casual clothes.

(A little like if you blend mouse mo-cap onto an elephant)

You don't sound so sure.

Bingo :

Maybe their skinning system is too limited.

In fact ,i'm 100% sure it's a question of talent (and frame rate) ,not tech.

I was actually going to start a thread about this. But last time I did, a moderator said soem BS, so I decided not to. Yes, this game is breathtaking, it has me doubting my bias toawrds 360. I need to be strong though

Laa-Yosh said:
Brimstone said:
The only sense of physical gun recoil comes from the animation on the character. Some sort of "camera shake vibration" is needed..

You'll have force feedback rumle with the controller, on the Xbox at least. Worked pretty well for Halo, no need to shake the screen.

The Halo games aren't that great when it comes to weapon feel imho. UBI with the Rainbow Six series eclipsed Bungie on giving weapons a sense of recoil. Firing a weapon in Gears of War comes across as very dry. It has no sense of kinetic energy.

Let's discuss in a less agressive manner, folks.
Or else the discussion will turn into a bashfest.
talyn99 said:
But last time I did, a moderator said soem BS,
:idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
_phil_ said:
Epic games never had good animations ,btw.Maybe their skinning system is too limited.

Animation and skinning aren't related. Skinning is responsible for deforming the character, but the movement dynamics are generated by the engine, from the animation library that's either mocaped or manually keyframed. In both cases, skinning has nothing to do with it.

Just one, qyuestion.
He say that this is runing in the dev kits, but they also have said before that its is runing on 6800SLI, Right?

pc999 said:
Just one, qyuestion.
He say that this is runing in the dev kits, but they also have said before that its is runing on 6800SLI, Right?

Right. I'm wondering if this is our first look at it running on X360 kits - presumably beta hardware, since they weren't happy publically showing it on alpha.

Titanio said:
Right. I'm wondering if this is our first look at it running on X360 kits - presumably beta hardware, since they weren't happy publically showing it on alpha.

Ciffy B said what was shown was on Xbox 360.

It may be too soon to show beta work, at least it so good image/fremerate?
Meybe they altered their dev kits...if it is possible.

talyn99 said:
I was actually going to start a thread about this. But last time I did, a moderator said soem BS, so I decided not to. Yes, this game is breathtaking, it has me doubting my bias toawrds 360. I need to be strong though

lol! i sense much confusion in you young padawan

so isnt this game going to be 720P . the video is in 4:3 form
or is it al running on a pc with sli'd 6800ultras like the E3 versioin?

Just because it has to support a minimum of 720p doesn't mean it can't run in 480p or 480i. It'd be a big mistake if only widescreen aspect ratios were supported considering the support for old televisions and VGA monitors.

That's an interesting question. If HD players will see a certain frame rate and X amount of AA on the 720p image, will players of the game on 480i/p sets get to see improved frame rates or increased AA levels?

I'm not sure about frame rate, but higher levels of AA seems like a possibility.

The EDRAM performs the AA(this is probably wrong) or something like that, so I'm not sure it's possible to change the AA from anything but 2X or 4X. I do think there would be improved framerate at low resolutions (assuming the framerate was bad in the first place). Some articles I've read said that they scale down 720p->480p but I don't believe this since it would fuck over people with 4:3 TVs (not everyone wants widescreen). They also want VGA to work at all resolutions below 720p (at 60Hz or 50Hz) so 4:3 support is important there also. A 1024by768 monitor would be a mighty fine replacement for a 2000$ HDTV even if it's running at 60Hz.

We will actually give the game developers a choice. They can either have the Xbox 360 automatically crop or scale. Or, they can render a different aspect ratio scene of their game if they want to. Or, a game developer can say, "let the user choose." And there will actually be a setting in Xbox 360 to tell the box what it should do. And game developers can just hand it over to the box to decide what's best from a user's perspective.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xbox360_inside.asp

I was of the impression that ALL rendering is 720p and output is managed by the scaling chip. Therefore SDTV gamers will get 720p downsampled = better AA. But there won't be any framerate changes or the like because the game is still rendering a 720p buffer. This is probably a good thing. A console that has different rendering speeds at different resolutions is going to be confusing/annoying to Joe Public, and makes development more complicated. Better for devs to target 30/60 fps at 720p without trying to improve things for lower res's, and just accept SDTV uses gain an IQ boost at the lower res.

In the latest PSM:

Speed OR Quality: It's Your Call

It's something PC gamers have been able to do for years: Run their games at a lower resolution in order to speed them up. As it stands, Sony is leaving the door open for developers to offer players the ability to make their games run faster and smoother by using lower resolutions like 480p(progressive) or 480i(the standard egular TVs use). Sony obviously wouldn't want to abandon the majority of gamers who have non-HDTVs do by forcing all games to run at 720p. It's nice to hear that HD-less folks will get a little speed (can't read) from the lower resolutions, but if you're like us, it's all about resolution, baby

So I'm guessing, Sony is having the Developers make lower res textures for their games? Sounds like the nightmare of PC development.

I'll believe that when i see it.

The most logical option is to have everything internally rendered at 720p or 1080p and the scale it back.

Having multiple versions of the same textures woul dbe such a waste of time for developers. I hardly ever believed a word of PSM and this doesn't improve my trust.

If the game's running at 30/60 fps at 720p, what's the advantage in reducing resources needed for lower resolution to get 120-500fps? Only if the game runs too slow at 720p would a 480p reduction be useful, and that'd need an AWFUL lot happening to slow the graphics that much.

Back