Amazing New Gears Of War Footage

Looks awesome, especially the chopper bit. The cinematic camera, particles effects and especially HDR lightning look great. :)

Animation does suck in the gameplay footage shown. Is animation still motion captured, or do physical calculations come into play? Because the difference in animation quality between the cinematic(chopper) and gameplay is somewhat strange.

Some of it is also awkward, since the armor is so bulky that one expects these guys to move with difficulty and have the armor itself move. When in motion, the models instead have this strange tendency to animate like plastic figures - as if they didn´t have the weight they ought to (Hopefully I got my point across).

Brimstone said:
The only sense of physical gun recoil comes from the animation on the character. Some sort of "camera shake vibration" is needed..

You'll have force feedback rumle with the controller, on the Xbox at least. Worked pretty well for Halo, no need to shake the screen.

Pruning done again...

People in this thread want to discuss Gear of War, nothing else.

About the Killzone demo, this forum has, believe it or not, a search function, it's extremely useful in times like this.

IbaneZ said:
Is it me, or is Cliffy B a real hunk? :LOL:

Don't hunks have, you know, a little more hunkiness on their bones? This dude is pretty skinny. I'll give him charisma and cuteness factor, but hunk? Nah. He's got to have more mass to be a hunk.

IMO the animation make this game look dumb. When the graphics realism goes up a notch and the main character prances around like a string puppet thats stiffer than a lego man it kills the overall effect.

It looks like they didn't even use any motion capture at all which is common in current gen games. The impressive thing about the RE5 and Killzone trailers was the natural movement which may be a distinguishing feature of true next-gen games. Ken Kutaragi talked about going one step beyond motion capture and calculating body movement.

bleon said:
IMO the animation make this game look dumb. When the graphics realism goes up a notch and the main character prances around like a string puppet thats stiffer than a lego man it kills the overall effect.

It looks like they didn't even use any motion capture at all which is common in current gen games. The impressive thing about the RE5 and Killzone trailers was the natural movement which may be a distinguishing feature of true next-gen games. Ken Kutaragi talked about going one step beyond motion capture and calculating body movement.

Tell me how you can have smooth and natural body animations while giving the player super responsive twitch shooter controls, then you can bitch about GoW having "bad" animations. :rolleyes:

I can't believe how even some of you can even dare to compare animations of playable Software like GoW and pre-rendered wishful thinking BS like Killzone video....

Shogmaster said:
bleon said:

Tell me how you can have smooth and natural body animations while giving the player super responsive twitch shooter controls, then you can bitch about GoW having "bad" animations. :rolleyes:

I can't believe how even some of you can even dare to compare animations of playable Software like GoW and pre-rendered wishful thinking BS like Killzone video....
Wow, you have high hopes for next gen. :rolleyes:

Shogmaster said:

This man speaks the truth.

The developer of killzone said it was only a representation of gameplay . Its cgi , get off the subject its old and just flame bait . Even Cliffy B says killzone is cgi . I think its time to stop beating this dead horse .

The 5fps comment is from DeanoC on his video game and he is refering to out door sequences .

As for gow this game is great and this is where I see next gen games for the xbox 360 hitting in 2006 with ps3 games hitting this at the end of 2006 (figure about a year after they get full spec dev kits and a year or so to work on the art ) The animations aren't that great but this game should be much better when it comes out around march and it will sell a ton of x360s .

Also is it just me or is that one chick tina hot as hell

The animation during the chopper scene is motion captured. Regarding the in-game animation, I think it would be difficult to allow fast movement animation using motion capture. If you take a game like RE4 for example, the main character is motion captured but he moves very slow and would be out of place in a game like GoW which is very fast paced.

Tell me how you can have smooth and natural body animations while giving the player super responsive twitch shooter controls,....

The problem in GOW is both bad animation and bad frame rate.The jak and daxter ,or ratchet series achieved responssiveness and top notch animation.
Epic games never had good animations ,btw.Maybe their skinning system is too limited.

Also ,the jump roll with a very heavy armour looks ridiculous.Impossible to animate that in a credible fashion,i concede.

_phil_ said:
The problem in GOW is both bad animation and bad frame rate.The jak and daxter ,or ratchet series achieved responssiveness and top notch animation.

Are you confusing cartoony animation with good animation? I see nothing "better" about J and D or Ratchet's animation except for it being more exaggerated and/or cartoony.

Epic games never had good animations ,btw.Maybe their skinning system is too limited.

And you know exactly the extent of skinning system in GoW, right? :rolleyes:

_phil_ said:
then ,my advice:never apply anywhere to be animator.

Well then, as an animator, can you point out for us laymen exactly where it kicks so much more ass? Besides the more exaggerated movements?

BTW, one would hope that only those who are animators apply for animator positions. :LOL:

i think it support rotation only.still evaluating it ...

You don't sound so sure. How much evaluation time do you need to see if it is more complex then the older Epic systems?

Back