Amazing New Gears Of War Footage

london-boy said:
Having multiple versions of the same textures would be such a waste of time for developers.

yup... thought it'd be easy to scale back like with the case of UT2k3/4.

Hardknock said:
So I'm guessing, Sony is having the Developers make lower res textures for their games? Sounds like the nightmare of PC development.

you don't need explicit lower res textures - you get them implicitly with the creation of mipmap LODs. all you need to do when using originally hi-res textures at lower resolutions is use a lower top LOD for the given mipmap.

I had thought that everything was rendered at 720p and then scaled up to 1080i, down to 480i/p or left alone at 720p by the scaler/output chip. Wasn't certain though..

I expect that down sampled 480 output will look pretty 'jaggy' free. I guess time will tell.

the station isn't hd so your only going to see 480i images . Any videos shown on this are going to be that unless cropped (like when they play trailers and have the name of it under neath it with the g4 info )

I love how Cliffy turns the corner. First it was " well Killzone has been confirmed pre-rendered and not achievable " yet then he states " but were going to hit that quality with Gears of War! " :D Gotta love that.

Anyway, the X05 footage is better but I'm still a little on the wait and see side in terms of the gameplay. The X05 footage, all gameplay, showed a ton of just ... running doing nothing .. riding in carts doing nothing and watching stuff happen around you. Reminded me of how old Sega CD games worked. Game looks great though, nothing bad you can point out graphically. The gameplay has me a little ... bleh right now though.

centerofadmiration said:
I love how Cliffy turns the corner. First it was " well Killzone has been confirmed pre-rendered and not achievable " yet then he states " but were going to hit that quality with Gears of War! " :D Gotta love that.

Let's not put words in his mouth.

Back