All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no worthwhile addressable market outside of switch. Less than 10 million PlayStations sold in almost 10 years is wild.
That's been the case since ps3 tbh.

If we think another way, core gaming itself has contracted significantly due to mobile. Nintendo consolidated their platform into one. But they are not getting the result of the two platforms equally with the switch. Well if we don't count Wii u times lmao

Is VGChartz now a permissible source? I've seen it quoted twice recently but previously had seen people warned for using it as a reliable source.

Mods, clarification? Was there a post declaring the change of status?

Also, Happy New Year!

Preferable to have a better source, using them will tend to shift the discussion into the "are those numbers anything more than random fiction". I'm not sure if anyone wants to ride that merry-go-round. 🤮

It would be nice if VGCharts provided footnote references for their datapoints or someone else can make those frequency charts that are sales aligned.

Is VGChartz now a permissible source? I've seen it quoted twice recently but previously had seen people warned for using it as a reliable source.

Mods, clarification? Was there a post declaring the change of status?

Also, Happy New Year!

They'll correct historical numbers to match any officially released numbers. It's usually only the most recent "live" updates that can be questionable, which is also the case with any analyst or statistics website that tracks the gaming industry. It's basically pick your poison of which estimate you want to go with. So it's not any better or worse than say Statista, Netmarketshare, Marketwatch or any other organization.

While I don't absolutely trust their most recent numbers, as in I wouldn't bet my life on them, they are generally close enough and as mentioned they actively update their numbers if they don't match official releases. So at the very least they'll correct any errors in their estimates as they get official numbers.

I usually throw in a standard disclaimer of "take with a grain of salt" and ignore if you don't like VGChartz numbers.

Regards,
SB

Preferable to have a better source, using them will tend to shift the discussion into the "are those numbers anything more than random fiction". I'm not sure if anyone wants to ride that merry-go-round. 🤮
So we can use VGChartz? Excellent. I've deliberately not used it because I thought it was borderline a bankable offence.

Home consoles are really dead in Japan. Guess that explains why most JRPGs these days are all ports from switch and other Nintendo handhelds.

How do you know how many Switch owners are using it as mostly a portable device? Mine rarely leaves home.

How do you know how many Switch owners are using it as mostly a portable device? Mine rarely leaves home.
Why else would switch in particular be the only system selling anything? The Nintendo exclusives have been there for decades and never mattered before. The mobile aspect is the only differentiator.

Why else would switch in particular be the only system selling anything? The Nintendo exclusives have been there for decades and never mattered before. The mobile aspect is the only differentiator.
Cost, size, availability, exclusives. Not everybody has played Nintendo exclusives for decades, many people have not been alive for decades. Some people absolutely buy a Switch primarily because it's portable, and it's definitely a feature I value and when I travel for work - a lot less since covid - I always take my Switch but it's use is 95% on a big OLED TV at home.

edit: on exclusives, you might notice that the top twenty best selling Switch games are all exclusive to Nintendo. MK8 has sold almost 50m which is a title attache rate higher than any game on PlayStation or Xbox. Ditto. Animal Crossing at 40m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost, size, availability, exclusives. Not everybody has played Nintendo exclusives for decades, many people have not been alive for decades. Some people absolutely buy a Switch primarily because it's portable, and it's definitely a feature I value and when I travel for work - a lot less since covid - I always take my Switch but it's use is 95% on a big OLED TV at home.
There will be no way to know for sure but I believe portability is the driving reason behind the success of Switch. Every prior Nintendo console in the last 20 years has bombed and I don't believe people have suddenly changed so much that its exclusives are now a magic bullet. It's a bit cheaper but I don't think a 100$ difference is that much of a factor either. With other console sales being relatively nonexistent I don't see how it could be an availability problem.

Last edited:
There will be no way to know for sure but I believe Portability is the driving reason behind the success of Switch.
I'm not arguing with belief. Evidence your claim or move on.

Every prior Nintendo console in the last 20 years has bombed and I don't believe people have suddenly changed so much that its exclusives are now a magic bullet.
What about the Wii which outsold the PlayStation and Xbox? Or is this another belief?

Xbox has always been DOA in Japan.
And PlayStation
Are these not accurate? PS2 was the last non-portable console that didn't bomb in Japan. WIi marginally outsold PS3 and PS4 but all 3 clearly bombed.

I assume they're accurate. Do you believe that consoles that don't sell over number X have bombed? Is this some industry accepted thing, or another personal belief?

Because its cute and the idea of being able to play in portable mode attracts people even though they seldom use it. Also size matters (Besides the exclusives and attractive price point of course)
I mean.....I bought a PS3 also because of it's BR functions and I barely every used a BR disk in my life :ROFLMAO:

So we can use VGChartz? Excellent. I've deliberately not used it because I thought it was borderline a bankable offence.
Their "recent"/"live" reports are still outright laughable made up fiction. You'll still be ridiculed for using those.

And PlayStation

I assume they're accurate. Do you believe that consoles that don't sell over number X have bombed? Is this some industry accepted thing, or another personal belief?
Look at the sales trends.

Famicom - 19 mil
Super Famicom - 17 mil
PS - 19 mil
PS2 - 24 mil
Wii - 12 mil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back