All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you don't get about it. When I was a kid growing up in the 80s and 90s there were thousands if not tens of thousands of games already out that I just never had the time to play but still wanted to play. Now I am in my 40s and have some free time and its great to go back and play some of those games from back in the day. There are also games that I loved when I was a kid and its been 20-30 years since I last played them.

Then you take someone like my nephew who is 13 and is loving playing through all the old games that came out decades before he was born. What's more he loves sitting down with his father and myself and playing some of our favorite games from when we were young.

I mean have you never seen a movie or show more than once or read a book a second time ?
Okay.

There are a gazillion games, that is true, most are bad :) Nostalgia makes me want to replay some of those that brought much joy when growing up. But there is no Atari 2600 game I probably would play to day, exception might be space invaders.
As for C64 I have tried a bunch due to nostalgia, again they are usually not that good, but I loved them then and in retrospective view, still love them for what I got from them then. :D
There are some classics of course, but like books and movies very few stand the test of time. Which is why I do not get the, lets play this ancient game that has bad mechanics, feedback loop and what not. :)

Okay.

There are a gazillion games, that is true, most are bad :) Nostalgia makes me want to replay some of those that brought much joy when growing up. But there is no Atari 2600 game I probably would play to day, exception might be space invaders.
As for C64 I have tried a bunch due to nostalgia, again they are usually not that good, but I loved them then and in retrospective view, still love them for what I got from them then. :D
There are some classics of course, but like books and movies very few stand the test of time. Which is why I do not get the, lets play this ancient game that has bad mechanics, feedback loop and what not. :)
Most of today's games are bad also and riddled with micro transactions.

I think there are two aspects with retro games. 1) It instills knowledge of where we came from. I think a lot of people gain an appreciation of gaming history when you can see its evolution. It's also great if you have an interest in becoming a video game programmer or designer like my nephew wants to do. You can get first hand experience of how game design has changed. 2) For fun of course. There are few atari 2600 games sure. But space invaders or missle command ? Don't think those are worth it? We can have a debate about which is the optimum copy of the game but that in itself is perk of emulation.

I personally replay the ultimas every 10 years or so and I still play the command and conquers. The first game I put on my steam deck was warlords 2. On my phone I got the remastered versions of dragon warrior 1 and 2 and they were still great games.

I find myself playing a lot of emulated games on my steam deck when I have 20-30 minutes to play and I load up newer games when I have more time to play

I do not get this emulation craze, I don't get this thing about playing old games that you already played. I get nostalgia etc, but it grows old fast in my book.
Some types of gameplay is timeless. I still love Pacman, Asteroids, Defender, Tempest and games like Tetris and Lumines have never got old for me. Some games just hit a sweet spot in terms of gameplay and combinations of mechanics. I've played Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Skyrim an absurd amount of times because the games are so vast, and options to play so diverse, and the environments so dynamic, that no two playthroughs need to be the same.

Generally I agree, but when I set about to get my retro consoles up and running it was mainly to play a few key titles that won't come back like Samba De Amigo. Certain gameplay experiences aren't coming back to modern systems.
Kaboom!
Not just an exclamation, but the game. It's available on retro collections but it isn't nearly the same experience without a properly calibrated paddle (or spinner) controller.

I do not get this emulation craze, I don't get this thing about playing old games that you already played. I get nostalgia etc, but it grows old fast in my book.

It all depends. I like gameplay more than I like pretty shiny graphics. Many of the best games are quite old. Hell, I'm replaying Warlords Battlecry III (2004) yet again right now. Every once in a while I'll go back and play NOLF, NOLF 2, Interstate 76, Thief, Fallout 1 & 2 and a whole host of other games, because they are just REALLY good games.

Some old games I play for nostalgia (the original Wasteland [1998] or Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord [1981]) while others I play because their gameplay is still miles better than most AAA games released today. Hell, I prefer the original X-Com games a lot more than the newer ones (the newer ones are still pretty good despite them being dumbed down).

Just imagine, the Wizardry games are one side of the duo (Ultima being the other) that forms the basis and inspiration of most top down Japanese RPGs (Ultima inspired) and Dungeon Crawlers (Wizardry inspired).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:

One specific figure shows just how much Microsoft makes from Xbox Game Pass on consoles. According to the data, Xbox Game Pass generated $2.9 billion from consoles in 2021. Based on data publicly available by Microsoft, Xbox gaming generated a total of $16.28 billion in calendar year 2021.
This means Xbox Game Pass made up roughly 18% of Microsoft's total yearly Xbox revenues ($16.28 billion), and nearly 30% of its games and services revenues ($12.581 billion) for the period.

This is without the pc subscribers add in it seems. Looks like Game pass is a huge success for MS and will only get bigger

This weeks numbers for Famitsu

Switch OLED Model – 36,923 (2,762,461)
Switch – 23,252 (18,763,433)
PlayStation 5 – 4,896 (1,704,808)
Switch Lite – 1,925 (4,899,684)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 649 (274,017)
Xbox Series S – 406 (200,161)
Xbox Series X – 391 (164,127)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 85 (1,188,862)
PlayStation 4 – 12 (7,819,908)

Bad week for Current Gen

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 24,229 (2,786,690)
PlayStation 5 – 18,691 (1,723,499)
Switch – 17,610 (18,781,043)
Xbox Series S – 3,082 (203,243)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,606 (275,623)
Switch Lite – 1,490 (4,901,174)
Xbox Series X – 469 (164,596)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 113 (1,188,975)
PlayStation 4 – 11 (7,819,919)

It's not too shabby that MS has managed to sell 368,000 units compared to Sony's 1.7 million. They might eventually get to a 1:4 ratio in Japan, which would probably be acceptable.
Tiny Xbox = big sales. Big Xbox = tiny sales. Hmmm.. 🤔

I posted in the series s thread but costco in the usa is going to have the series s at $230. I am going to assume other places in the usa at least will have black friday deals at $230-$250. I wonder if Japan will get similar sales. With the increase of the ps5 price a good $50 off could move some series s

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 24,229 (2,786,690)
PlayStation 5 – 18,691 (1,723,499)
Switch – 17,610 (18,781,043)
Xbox Series S – 3,082 (203,243)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,606 (275,623)
Switch Lite – 1,490 (4,901,174)
Xbox Series X – 469 (164,596)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 113 (1,188,975)
PlayStation 4 – 11 (7,819,919)

4 times the sales of PS5 compared to last time. Makes you wonder if supply contraints are the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back