All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows/OEM is actually the effect of the pandemic when everyone started working from home, and then decline again.
I just think in terns of PCs be it chrome books , macs , windows there just isn't really any growth left because everyone has them and cell phones and tablets are fast enough to do a lot of what people were doing on those devices and thus don't have to be refreshed as often

This weeks numbers from Famitsu

Hardware Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

Switch OLED Model – 38,079 (2,824,769)
PlayStation 5 – 26,238 (1,749,737)
Switch – 15,372 (18,796,415)
Xbox Series S – 3,951 (207,194)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 2,423 (278,046)
Switch Lite – 1,186 (4,902,360)
Xbox Series X – 207 (164,803)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 57 (1,189,032)
PlayStation 4 – 13 (7,819,932)

This is one time that I am hoping that the Xbox Systems weren't just simply supply limited because it would have been boneheaded to not have enough systems upon the release of Persona 5 Royal. While it is true the game only sold 5,000 units for the Playstation 5 ( game was playable through BC already) it sold 45,000 units for the Switch. With Microsoft marketing push they could have moved some more systems this week.

Last edited:
As part of this blogpost, the team also provided comprehensive breakdowns of the game’s player count by platform, revealing not only that in total there are now more than 10 million players, but also just how many of those 10 million are paid players:

• Steam (paid): 4,000,000
  • Xbox (paid): 750,000
  • Xbox Game Pass (subscription): 2,000,000
  • PlayStation (paid): 500,000
  • PlayStation+ (subscription): 1,300,000
  • Switch (paid): 68,000
  • WeGame (paid): 125,000
  • Epic Game Store (combo paid + give-away): 1,500,000+
It’s not often that we get such details on a game, and so to have a platform breakdown such as this is interesting indeed. Regardless of where players are playing, it is impressive to see The Long Dark doing better than ever so many years after its initial release.

Gotta shed operations and development in outside countries so when they are purchased next year they don't have to worry about regulators

Never heard of this game before. Literally no marketing. Metacritic scores are very very favorable.
Reminds me of Clover Studio games. Great games whose' art style never gave enough juice back to maintain the studio's existence.

It is ironic that Square Enix originally owned western assets and studios giving them potential foothold in bigger markets.

It's unfortunate that Square Enix appear to be doubling down on Blockchain based gaming as that's incurring costs that are going to bite them in the arse in the future. Most game developers and publishers that had expressed interested an initial R&D for blockchain based gaming have since either pulled back (cancelled those plans) or greatly scaled down their plans for how they might use blockchain based tech in their games.

It's hard to blame them really as they grow increasingly dependent on FFXIV to keep the company's financials in a good place. It's never good to have the financial fortune of your company so dependent one game. And while they have managed to tap into the money spigot that mobile gaming represents, they haven't been as successful at it as other companies who specialize in mobile games.

Regards,
SB

It also doesn't help that they limit their consumer base growth when they do those console exclusivity deals.

This is old now but it still doesn't make sense to me:

May 17, 2022
During Take-Two Interactive's conference call for Q4 2022, the publisher noted that GTA 5 sold yet another 5 million units over the last three months.
Aug 8, 2022
On the same call, we also learned that NBA 2K22 has sold over 12 million copies, GTA V has once again sold around 5 million in a single quarter and brought its lifetime total to nearly 170 million sold, and Red Dead Redemption 2 has sold over 45 million copies.
A 9 year old game sells 5m units each quarter and selling 169 million copies in total as of 3 months ago. At some point it seems like they're making it up for a laugh right?

I think being bought by MS will be better than potential money hats from sony.
Is being bought out the only solution people think exist in the industry? That's the ultimate money hat and it's nothing but bad news.

Square enix just need to learn how to properly market their titles. Capcom is doing well because they know how to speak to their audience properly

Is being bought out the only solution people think exist in the industry? That's the ultimate money hat and it's nothing but bad news.

Square enix just need to learn how to properly market their titles. Capcom is doing well because they know how to speak to their audience properly

I don't think that is enough or even possible. They have been around for what 30-40 years now ?

I think the main issue is how long its taking them to make their games and likely the costs involved. FF XV came out in 2016. FF XVI is set for 2023. That is 7 years between releases. In 8 years they released FF 1- 6. After that they released 5 titles in 10 years. I thin k for square they need to have time tables reined in.

I also have to say that I have seen within my group a huge drop off in the amount of people who play FF games themselves. Now I know Square is more than FF but its their biggest franchise and I have to say everyone I knew that played games used to be excited about the games and would laugh at me for saying there hasn't been a good one since 6. However now those same people don't pay attention and don't even know if a new FF is coming out. These are people who used to play 40 + hours a week of FFXI when it launched .

I am not sure MS or sony is the answer , however it might be best for them if they were part of a bigger company that could fill out the 5-7 years between FF games with other sought after games

This week's Famistu numbers

PlayStation 5 – 34,287 (1,784,024)
Switch OLED Model – 23,399 (2,848,168)
Switch – 14,262 (18,810,677)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 4,579 (282,625)
Xbox Series S – 1,921 (209,115)
Switch Lite – 973 (4,903,333)
Xbox Series X – 1,753 (166,556)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 56 (1,189,088)
PlayStation 4 – 11 (7,819,943)

Last week was an excellent week for the PS5 in Japan. It might be the first time the PS5 outsold all Switch models. I don't know what is going on with the Xbox numbers. All of the big games are being released, and more Xbox might be needed to sell in the country.

The top ten are interesting. The release of Call of Duty might not have only been bad for Star Ocean in the west but also for the title in Japan. Look at these numbers. The problem is I don't know if there was a good time to release Star Ocean this year unless it was before July. Every month afterward had noteworthy releases that could have eaten into Star Ocean's sales but based on these numbers, last week was not the time to release this game worldwide. Part of me wishes they had delayed the game until early next year.

[NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 51,547 (3,235,701)
[NSW] Bayonetta 3 (Nintendo, 10/28/22) – 41,285 (New)
[PS4] Star Ocean: The Divine Force (Square Enix, 10/27/22) – 27,001 (New)
[PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Activision, 10/28/22) – 24,371 (New)
[NSW] Ace Angler: Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco, 10/27/22) – 23,297 (New)
[PS5] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Activision, 10/28/22) – 17,710 (New)
[PS5] Star Ocean: The Divine Force (Square Enix, 10/27/22) – 17,177 (New)
[NSW] Aquarium. Limited Edition (Entergram, 10/27/22) – 13,199 (New)
[NSW] Persona 5 Royal (ATLUS, 10/21/22) – 12,040 (58,038)
[NSW] Needy Streamer Overload (WSS playground, 10/27/22) – 11,693 (New)

Last edited:
I don't think that is enough or even possible. They have been around for what 30-40 years now ?

I think the main issue is how long its taking them to make their games and likely the costs involved. FF XV came out in 2016. FF XVI is set for 2023. That is 7 years between releases. In 8 years they released FF 1- 6. After that they released 5 titles in 10 years. I thin k for square they need to have time tables reined in.

I also have to say that I have seen within my group a huge drop off in the amount of people who play FF games themselves. Now I know Square is more than FF but its their biggest franchise and I have to say everyone I knew that played games used to be excited about the games and would laugh at me for saying there hasn't been a good one since 6. However now those same people don't pay attention and don't even know if a new FF is coming out. These are people who used to play 40 + hours a week of FFXI when it launched .

I am not sure MS or sony is the answer , however it might be best for them if they were part of a bigger company that could fill out the 5-7 years between FF games with other sought after games
I'd say that they already have plenty of stuff in between major FF releases. Only that it's really mismanaged and/or lacks proper marketing/funding, not everything they do seems to get a fair chance at succes. In the last two years orso they developed/published over 30 games. The last month they released plenty of games but how many can you name without looking it up.

I currently enjoy my time with the new Star Ocean but it definitely shows that the game was effectively made with a skeleton crew.

Last edited:
I'd say that they already have plenty of stuff in between major FF releases. Only that it's really mismanaged and/or lacks proper marketing/funding, not everything they do seems to get a fair chance at succes. In the last two years orso they developed/published over 30 games. The last month they released plenty of games but how many can you name without looking it up.

I currently enjoy my time with the new Star Ocean but it definitely shows that the game was effectively made with a skeleton crew.
What do they even have now that they got rid of the edios stuff ?

The majority that I can find seems to be re-releases

It's unfortunate that Square Enix appear to be doubling down on Blockchain based gaming as that's incurring costs that are going to bite them in the arse in the future. Most game developers and publishers that had expressed interested an initial R&D for blockchain based gaming have since either pulled back (cancelled those plans) or greatly scaled down their plans for how they might use blockchain based tech in their games.

It's hard to blame them really as they grow increasingly dependent on FFXIV to keep the company's financials in a good place. It's never good to have the financial fortune of your company so dependent one game. And while they have managed to tap into the money spigot that mobile gaming represents, they haven't been as successful at it as other companies who specialize in mobile games.

Regards,
SB
Even their FF7 spin off on Mobile phones shut down very early. They are running out of ideas.
I wish they would try a Parasite Eve Remake. That game has huge potential with its concept and art style.

This week's Famitsu numbers

Switch OLED Model – 74,895 (2,923,063)
Switch – 13,869 (18,824,546)
PlayStation 5 – 12,014 (1,796,038)
Xbox Series S – 2,663 (211,778)
Switch Lite – 1,714 (4,905,047)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,260 (283,885)
Xbox Series X – 450 (167,006)
PlayStation 4 – 257 (7,820,200)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 31 (1,189,119)

Lots of OLED Switches last week. Everyone else was down last week. Star Ocean did not make the top 10 last week with Modern Warfare II for the PS4 being at number 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back