All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

PSN April sales, it looks better for Returnal in digital sales than physical sales.

PS5 Games
US / Canada

1. MLB The Show 21
  2. Outriders
  3. Returnal
  4. Mortal Kombat 11
  5. It Takes Two
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  7. FIFA 21
  8. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  9. NBA 2K21
  10. Madden NFL 21
  11. Marvel’s Avengers
  12. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  13. Disco Elysium – The Final Cut
  14. Hitman 3
  15. Demon’s Souls
  16. Borderlands 3
  17. Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2
  18. Godfall
  19. No Man’s Sky
  20. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege

Europe

1. FIFA 21
  2. Outriders
  3. It Takes Two
  4. Returnal
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  6. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  7. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  8. Mortal Kombat 11
  9. Marvel’s Avengers
  10. Disco Elysium – The Final Cut
  11. Hitman 3
  12. NBA 2K21
  13. Dirt 5
  14. Demon’s Souls
  15. Watch Dogs: Legion
  16. Borderlands 3
  17. No Man’s Sky
  18. Immortals Fenyx Rising
  19. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
  20. MLB The Show 21

Exactly my point, The Series S is widely available. The series X and PS5 aren't.
Widely?

Not in Canada, and I should assume that should apply to US. If all the retailers are picked to the brim with stock I think you have a point. But not all retailers have stock, and certainly not all at the same time.

Whether you clear a stock shipment in a month or a day has no difference if you only receive a shipment of stock in a month.

it’s like saying toilet paper only sells during a pandemic as it’s the only time it’s out of stock.

Without actual unit numbers of sales, we have no indication of actual sales of Series S. Seeing it in shelves is not a sufficient indicator that demand is none, as in, no one is buying it. It just means supply has met demand.

Last edited:
Widely?

Not in Canada, and I should assume that should apply to US.

Whether you clear a stock shipment in a month or a day has no difference if you only receive a shipment of stock in a month.

it’s like saying toilet paper only sells during a pandemic as it’s the only time it’s out of stock.

Again North America is not rest of the world. Series S is available easily out of North America. Xbox consoles are as popular as Playstation console in North America, Mexico and UK. Out of this country Sony is more popular.

Many people in B3D or era or GAF are from UK, US, Canada and the view is skewed because the market is different than in the rest of the world, the place were the gap is huge bigger than 2 to 1 and this is why globally Xbox trail by two to one versus Playstation.

For Q1 2021, Sony sold 6.5 PS5 against 1 Xbox Series in Spain for example.

Again North America is not rest of the world. Series S is available easily out of North America. Xbox consoles are as popular as Playstation console in North America, Mexico and UK. Out of this country Sony is more popular.

Many people in B3D or era or GAF are from UK, US, Canada and the view is skewed because the market is different than in the rest of the world, the place were the gap is huge bigger than 2 to 1 and this is why globally Xbox trail by two to one versus Playstation.

For Q1 2021, Sony sold 6.5 PS5 against 1 Xbox Series in Spain for example.
That’s fine. That’s not the issue. I’m saying because Series S is not selling out the same way Series X and PS5 is, do you really believe that 2:1 deficit is all Series S sitting on shelves ?

Logic would dictate on that alone the ratios are all wrong. That means MS is producing 75% S and 25% X to have a short fall of 2:1 vs PS5 and the rest of S sitting on shelves.

there is not a highly probable ratio you could choose with respect to sales data available in which Series S is responsible for the shortfall against PS5.

Sony has clear or had clear manufacturing advantage: which is likely the result of MS misjudging demand. And once contracts are signed they cannot increase volumes until the run is completed.

This is the most probable thing to explain these numbers.

it would shock me if MS is closing the gap. Even if slowly.
VG Chartz saying
8.22 : 4.9

as of today.

Last edited:
That’s fine. That’s not the issue. I’m saying because Series S is not selling out the same way Series X and PS5 is, do you really believe that 2:1 deficit is all Series S sitting on shelves ?

Logic would dictate on that alone the ratios are all wrong. That means MS is producing 75% S and 25% X to have a short fall of 2:1 vs PS5 and the rest of S sitting on shelves.

there is not a highly probable ratio you could choose with respect to sales data available in which Series S is responsible for the shortfall against PS5.

Sony has clear or had clear manufacturing advantage: which is likely the result of MS misjudging demand. And once contracts are signed they cannot increase volumes until the run is completed.

This is the most probable thing to explain these numbers.

it would shock me if MS is closing the gap. Even if slowly.
VG Chartz saying
8.22 : 4.9

as of today.

VGChartz is shit. The guy who gave the number for spaim has access to NPD and GFK number and he told VGchartz is shit. Again demand of PS5 is higher the resells and scalper market show it. And it is the same in US for scalpers. PS5 resell value is higher all over the world.

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire

He is a french journalist doing some analysis of videogame market and he gave some number sometimes.

Last edited:
Series S is out of stock at many places, but not the EU.

Checking Amazon at various places.

Japan - out of stock, MS likely didn't send many here, but still somewhat surprising - no scalpers
Australia - out of stock - no scalpers.
Brazil - out of stock - scalpers available for 521 USD and up.
Mexico - scalpers available for 361 USD and up.
India - out of stock - no scalpers

When there's no scalpers it usually indicates that even at physical retailers it's incredibly difficult to get one as the scalpers can't buy them in a retail store to resell on Amazon.

Just like the US isn't the world, neither is the EU.

The Series S has at least some available stock in the EU, but in the rest of the world stock situations for Series S appears to be closer to the US than the EU.

Regards,
SB

Xbox Series S IS available in Canada:
https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-RRS...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Xbox Series S NOT available in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Console...&keywords=xbox+series+s&qid=1621701235&sr=8-3

Xbox Series S IS available in the UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GD9MNZB/?tag=b3d-21

These are Microsoft's biggest markets and its available in 2 of 3.

Xbox Series S IS available in Brazil, sold by Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com.br/Microsoft...ries+e&qid=1621701437&s=amazon-devices&sr=1-1

Also essentially available in the most of the EU (some of the larger countries).

Looks like it's widely available outside of the US to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone expecting huge sales in places like India are likely misinterpreting the market, the average salary in India is 437 USD a MONTH (!)

Both Xbox Series X and Series S will likely be just as premium for anyone in that territory.

Anyone expecting huge sales in places like India are likely misinterpreting the market, the average salary in India is 437 USD a MONTH (!)

Both Xbox Series X and Series S will likely be just as premium for anyone in that territory.

Exactly too, India is a very little market for consoles. North America, EU and Japan are by far the bigger console market, Middle east is not bad too. China is a little market too but it is a big gaming market but people use PC or mobile not consoles.

Which is why they're seeing the insane value of services like GamePass versus what the even more expensive full-price games are.

Which is why they're seeing the insane value of services like GamePass versus what the even more expensive full-price games are.

I don't think you'll see many Xboxes sold in India.

"Insane value" is proportional, $15/month isn't much for the US/EU but it'll be a substantial premium in India.

Regarding Europe and those thinking the UK is a very important market, well Germany has a significantly larger population and GDP.

And France and the UK are essentially an exact match in population and GDP.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-RRS...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Xbox Series S NOT available in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Console...&keywords=xbox+series+s&qid=1621701235&sr=8-3

Xbox Series S IS available in the UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GD9MNZB/?tag=b3d-21

These are Microsoft's biggest markets and its available in 2 of 3.

Xbox Series S IS available in Brazil, sold by Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com.br/Microsoft...ries+e&qid=1621701437&s=amazon-devices&sr=1-1

Also essentially available in the most of the EU (some of the larger countries).

Ah, I should have translated the Brazil Amazon listing. I'd assumed that the price of ~521 USD was a scalper's price considering that is well over the 299 USD MSRP for the console.

Considering the MSRP of 299, it wouldn't be a surprise then that it sells quite well in countries like India where the monthly income is significantly lower than 1st world countries like most of the EU and NA.

You've given exactly 1 counterexample of the Series S being in stock in countries outside of NA and EU. That hardly counters my giving multiple examples (with Brazil and Mexico being my mistake for assuming higher than MSRP price = scalper). But do note that in Mexico, XBS-S is currently the #13 best selling video game product along with XBS-X at #9. So they are certainly selling there. In Brazil, XBS-S is #8 right behind the PS5 at #7.

Obviously sales rankings on Amazon are greatly influenced by what has most recently been in stock, so it's not a long term gauge, but it does show the XBS-S selling at a brisk pace when it's available and in stock in these countries. The fact that it's in stock, as in Brazil, and holds a similar sales positions as PS5 shows that it sells just as well as the PS5 but that there is just more stock of the XBS-S than there is of the PS5. Or to put it another way, considering the stock situation, in countries like Brazil the XBS-S sells at least as much as the PS5 does.

Now we can certainly note that if the PS5 had enough stock to not be sold out it'd quite likely have a much larger sales lead over the XBS-S in Brazil. But given what supplies are, XBS-S is currently selling in similar numbers to PS5 in Brazil. Of course, as time goes on and PS5 continues to be out of stock, the XBS-S will continue to sell. So, it's also likely that there are more XBS-S consoles in peoples homes in Brazil than there are PS5s purely due to there being more XBS-S consoles available for sale than PS5s in Brazil.

Would be nice to get insight into other places like the rest of SEA region, but it's difficult at the best of times to get a gauge of how products are doing in many of those countries. So, now that we've established that neither NA nor the EU represent the world... :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
VGChartz is shit. The guy who gave the number for spaim has access to NPD and GFK number and he told VGchartz is shit. Again demand of PS5 is higher the resells and scalper market show it. And it is the same in US for scalpers. PS5 resell value is higher all over the world.

https://twitter.com/oscarlemaire

He is a french journalist doing some analysis of videogame market and he gave some number sometimes.
But I'm not talking about demand. I know demand is higher on PS5. That's a tangent discussion from what we are discussing. The 2:1 ratio of PS5 to Xbox Series is _not_ a result of Series S not selling. You'd have to do some crazy math to make that true.

The only answer is, of course, MS did not anticipate demand well enough and are understocked compared to Sony. That has nothing to do with Series S not selling out. If Series S was sold out worldwide, it would not close the 2:1 gap.

I hope this makes sense, because ti's just impossible for this to true.

Demand should drive supply decisions, at least with respect to what you can build. Sony got a much better grasp on demand, and they are out in front. Technically they should have made even more, but for whatever reason there are limitations to how much one can produce. The fact that both consoles and Series X continues to be sold out tells you MS got it wrong. They should have been able to build as many devices as Sony, and so far has failed to.

Ah, I should have translated the Brazil Amazon listing. I'd assumed that the price of ~521 USD was a scalper's price considering that is well over the 299 USD MSRP for the console.

Considering the MSRP of 299, it wouldn't be a surprise then that it sells quite well in countries like India where the monthly income is significantly lower than 1st world countries like most of the EU and NA.

You've given exactly 1 counterexample of the Series S being in stock in countries outside of NA and EU. That hardly counters my giving multiple examples (with Brazil and Mexico being my mistake for assuming higher than MSRP price = scalper). But do note that in Mexico, XBS-S is currently the #13 best selling video game product along with XBS-X at #9. So they are certainly selling there. In Brazil, XBS-S is #8 right behind the PS5 at #7.

Obviously sales rankings on Amazon are greatly influenced by what has most recently been in stock, so it's not a long term gauge, but it does show the XBS-S selling at a brisk pace when it's available and in stock in these countries. The fact that it's in stock, as in Brazil, and holds a similar sales positions as PS5 shows that it sells just as well as the PS5 but that there is just more stock of the XBS-S than there is of the PS5. Or to put it another way, considering the stock situation, in countries like Brazil the XBS-S sells at least as much as the PS5 does.

Would be nice to get insight into other places like the rest of SEA region, but it's difficult at the best of times to get a gauge of how products are doing in many of those countries. So, now that we've established that neither NA nor the EU represent the world... :)

Regards,
SB

Sales positions with consoles in markets like Brazil won't give a good indication of actual numbers sold. I seriously doubt you'll have serious numbers being pushed in Brazil. They have debilitating taxation on videogames there.

But I'm not talking about demand. I know demand is higher on PS5. That's a tangent discussion from what we are discussing. The 2:1 ratio of PS5 to Xbox Series is _not_ a result of Series S not selling. You'd have to do some crazy math to make that true.

The only answer is, of course, MS did not anticipate demand well enough and are understocked compared to Sony. That has nothing to do with Series S not selling out. If Series S was sold out worldwide, it would not close the 2:1 gap.

I hope this makes sense, because ti's just impossible for this to true.

Demand should drive supply decisions, at least with respect to what you can build. Sony got a much better grasp on demand, and they are out in front. Technically they should have made even more, but for whatever reason there are limitations to how much one can produce. The fact that both consoles and Series X continues to be sold out tells you MS got it wrong. They should have been able to build as many devices as Sony, and so far has failed to.

We don't know if they have made the same number of device than Sony they would be sold out. We have no idea of this.

[/Spoiler]

Sold out - Xbox Series S 512GB Console | Best Buy Canada
About to sell out - Xbox Series S 512 GB All-Digital Console (Disc-free Gaming) - White | Walmart Canada
and refuses to sell without a membership - EB Games | The largest video game retailer in Canada. Play. Trade. Save. - EBGames.ca (they no longer sell the Series consoles standalone)
Sold out - XBOX Series S Digital with Wireless Controller | Costco

This is not 'widely' available. You have it available at just Amazon. And you don't know if you're checking today and seeing that Amazon just got hit with a large stock. THe other retailers need stock too, so eventually Amazon will run dry while the other retailers are fulfilled.

Series S is available, the idea that it's widely available and not selling is just not true.

And it also shouldn't account for 50% of Series consoles sales either.

We don't know if they have made the same number of device than Sony they would be sold out. We have no idea of this.
There's just no way there would be 4 Million series S consoles sitting on shelves. That's just absurd when we have stocking issues in NA.

I can't tell you how much MS would sell, but it's clear it would be more than they have sold today.

Yes, this is not about demand but about manufacturing capacity considering that both consoles are selling out.

If manufacturing capacity weren't a thing I wouldn't be surprised if the ration was 3:1 or even 4:1 in favor of PS5. However, manufacturing supply is less than 2:1 in favor of PS5 hence why the gap is narrowing over time.

Regards,
SB

Back