All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

In France the XSS is easily available at amazon.fr and Micromania (the biggest retailer). I think it's too expensive. If there wasn't COVID I think MS would have already reduced its price at $249 or $199.
Yea XSS too expensive. Agreed.

but they won’t budge on price for a while. Chip shortages makes this impossible I think. The landscape is not looking good at the moment for any sort of price reduction happening soon.

Last edited:
In France the XSS is easily available at amazon.fr and Micromania (the biggest retailer). I think it's too expensive. If there wasn't COVID I think MS would have already reduced its price at $249 or $199.
in spain as well, just walk into a shop, pay and walk out with a series S. Its not selling to bad mind, sometimes here it manages to sell over a hundred in a week

https://www.mediamarkt.es/es/product/_consola-microsoft-xbox-series-s-512-gb-ssd-blanco-1487616.html
https://www.carrefour.es/xbox-serie...rativo&ic_medium=search-empathy&ic_content=ns

Understandably, series S has a pricing bracket problem. I suspect if it shipped with 1TB hard drive it would be all sold out as well, but right now the cost of series S (379) + expansion card (299) >> series X (599)
So; this decision is easy to make for a lot of people who want more than 500GB. Just buy the series x; way more powerful and $80 cheaper.
I doubt its the storage that is stopping the ppl its more the weaker GPU & memory, even @ $50 cheaper I doubt they would be attractive

Who would of thought that the series S would not of been a smash hit (apart from many here on beyond3d :mrgreen:)

but they won’t budge on price for a while. Chip shortages makes this impossible I think. The landscape is not looking good at the moment for any sort of price reduction happening soon.

If Series S manufacture outpaces purchasing Microsoft will cut the price, otherwise they'll literally be stocking Series S consoles in warehouses. If your product isn't selling at price X now, what are thy going to do - wait for Halo Infinite and hope like hell there is a pent of market.

Of course, Series S manufacture may be perfect. They are filling stock as it is selling out just as with any other product in retail. I don't think there is any data t suggest Series S isn't selling, it just looks weird as the only console in stock right now.

All this assumes it's not selling well and within MS expectations during this time frame.

MS has said they don't expect it to sell as much as XSX at first.

I doubt its the storage that is stopping the ppl its more the weaker GPU & memory, even @ $50 cheaper I doubt they would be attractive

Who would of thought that the series S would not of been a smash hit (apart from many here on beyond3d :mrgreen:)
Technically, the drive is $219 USD. 1/2 of that is 100USD. That would put Series S $100 down, the price point of $199 would be viral. And that's sort of the issue we see here. Xbox Series X is an incredible price point value with respect to just raw silicon, and Series S has a harder time competing against that. I don't even think they sold the One S and PS4 Slim variants in anything less than 1 TB. You can see how people can view this as a step back. They don't understand data duplication, or data compression. They just know how few games fit on their previous console, and call of duty doesn't really help make matters easier.

If you can walk down the aisles of Spain and see Series S in shelves, doesn't mean they aren't selling. These shops are only receiving their shipments maybe once a month? They have a whole month to sell the shelves before they are given more. It's just people who want it so badly that are stripping stores so quickly as soon as they receive shipment, and they have to considering there is currently few things in place to stop scalping. Series S consoles don't have to deal with the scalping market.

If Series S manufacture outpaces purchasing Microsoft will cut the price, otherwise they'll literally be stocking Series S consoles in warehouses. If your product isn't selling at price X now, what are thy going to do - wait for Halo Infinite and hope like hell there is a pent of market.

Of course, Series S manufacture may be perfect. They are filling stock as it is selling out just as with any other product in retail. I don't think there is any data t suggest Series S isn't selling, it just looks weird as the only console in stock right now.
I agree, there's no data that suggests Series S is not selling. Demand outstripping supply is not an indication of the product not selling, it could just mean it's properly stocked with respect to it's demand.
But yea I do agree you can't have Series S consoles sitting around, the price will need to drop if it isn't selling.

I'd imagine the smarter move would be to shift some wafer starts from Series S to Series X.

However, considering that the cheapest XBS-S on Amazon (US) is still the EU version at 411.17 USD, the smarter move would likely be to just prioritize shipments of XBS-S to regions where there's a shortage and reduce shipments to regions where XBS-S is in good supply.

So, if you live in the EU and can ship to the US relatively cheaply, there's an opportunity to make some money. :)

Just out of curiosity, looked at Amazon (Australia) and they are completely out of stock of the XBS-S there.

So acute shortages of XBS-S in some regions but not in the EU.

Considering that MS can make more XBS-S SOCs per wafer, if both MS and Sony are limited by wafer starts, it's possible that MS will sell more Xbox Series consoles this year than Sony can sell PS5s. This assumes, of course, that XBS-S continues to sell out in the regions where it is currently experiencing shortages.

Regards,
SB

I'd imagine the smarter move would be to shift some wafer starts from Series S to Series X.

However, considering that the cheapest XBS-S on Amazon (US) is still the EU version at 411.17 USD, the smarter move would likely be to just prioritize shipments of XBS-S to regions where there's a shortage and reduce shipments to regions where XBS-S is in good supply.

So, if you live in the EU and can ship to the US relatively cheaply, there's an opportunity to make some money. :)

Just out of curiosity, looked at Amazon (Australia) and they are completely out of stock of the XBS-S there.

So acute shortages of XBS-S in some regions but not in the EU.

Considering that MS can make more XBS-S SOCs per wafer, if both MS and Sony are limited by wafer starts, it's possible that MS will sell more Xbox Series consoles this year than Sony can sell PS5s. This assumes, of course, that XBS-S continues to sell out in the regions where it is currently experiencing shortages.New Posts

Regards,
SB
I think it's going to start coming down to yield. This will certainly get interesting. The boom bust every other month of PS5 is quite intriguing and an interesting reflection of the silicon challenges of today. I don't recall if MS had a couple of these, I think 1 month they shipped nothing? My memory isn't too good, but this is all very interesting. No GPUs, no Consoles, new cars having shortages? lol. weird times.

That's the start, if Microsoft decide to decrease Series X manufacture by decreasing Series S there are other changes in production they also need to do. Cases are probably trivial but solid state is a bit tight right now so you may need to sacrifice two Series S consoles for a Series X.

But if Series S is selling perfectly, it's probably smarter to leave it as it is because they're building the current gen Xbox user base faster.

Understandably, series S has a pricing bracket problem. I suspect if it shipped with 1TB hard drive it would be all sold out as well, but right now the cost of series S (379) + expansion card (299) >> series X (599)

So; this decision is easy to make for a lot of people who want more than 500GB. Just buy the series x; way more powerful and $80 cheaper.
I don't think people think that way at all. Most Xbox Series owners I know don't even know the size of the SSD in their consoles.

No need to panic. LOL. The XSS was always a Holiday 2021 $249 play, but that might be delayed now due to shortages.

Last edited:
I don't think people think that way at all. Most Xbox Series owners I know don't even know the size of the SSD in their consoles.

No need to panic. LOL. The XSS was always a Holiday 2021 $249 play, but that might be delayed now due to shortages.
Oh I’m not panicked.I’m just addressing why it isn’t flying off the shelves at the same rate. The price isn’t viral enough imo.

Most early adopters have 4k TVs. It's as simple as that I think.

Also my sons both considered an S because they think the price is great, but there hasn't been anything they can't play on their X1Ss yet.

MS has to get some compelling software out there that isn't coming to X1.

That will happen over time.

PS5 stock influx boosts Spider-Man: Miles Morales sales | UK Boxed Charts

The remastered collection of Mass Effect games was released on last generation consoles (PS4 and Xbox One), and sold best on PS4 (68% of sales). It's not a huge boxed launch for the collection, selling half of what last week's Resident Evil: Village managed. However, digital data is not available until later in the week, and it's likely the game performed far better than the physical numbers suggest.

Resident Evil: Village sits at No.2 after a relatively modest 59% drop in sales during its second week.

Rising nine places to No.3 is Spider-Man: Miles Morales, with the majority of sales (88%) coming on the PS5 version. The action game shoots up the charts on the back of new PS5 stock coming to the UK market last week. This has happened the last time more PS5 units emerged in March, and so Spider-Man appears to be the game of choice for new PS5 customers. Another game that bumped in sales on the back of PS5 stock is Assassin's Creed Valhalla at No.13, with the PS5 version of that increasing 224%. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War at No.14 also saw its PS5 version jump in sales by 49%.

https://www.ampereanalysis.com/insi...ncreases-year-on-year-ps5-outsells-xbox-serie

Console sales Q1 2021: Switch sell-through increases year-on-year, PS5 outsells Xbox Series X|S 2 to 1 but like they said not very important for current gen console because they are out of stock.

E1z_fsWWQAEVBSA

Warning: Take this post with a potentially large pile of salt.

If VGChartz is even remotely accurate things have tightened up between the two.

8.04 million PS5 worldwide sales versus 4.81 million for XBS-X/S.

This seems reasonable if rumors are true that part of launch sales disparity was that PS5 started manufacturing a couple months before XBS-X/S. Hence they had a larger stock of consoles for launch. Since then sales have narrowed a bit to more closely match their monthly production capabilities.

Hence first quarter of sales being greater than 2:1 in favor of PS5, while it's likely less than 2:1 now. However, as both consoles are still incredibly supply constrained neither of these ratios is necessarily indicative of how this generation will play out.

If neither were supply constrained, the PS5 would still have a healthy lead in sales, IMO. The interesting question is how much of a sales lead will they have once supply constraints are no longer in place.

Regards,
SB

I believe this is a large out break of Covid in Twainian so we might see even more shortages if it continues to escalate.

Xbox Series S stock is seemingly becoming more regular with stores getting them in stock almost once a week now. Walmart had X's for all access up for a while this morning. They might still be up.

One has to assume, by all measures, MS is producing as much as possible. It is not a demand side issue. Any product manager is looking at total life time rebenue of any customer and you get the most Life time revenue today.
You don’t want to have no stock and your customers go to Sony. You want to have over stock on those shelves picking up whatever you can.

So we have to remove the idea that MS is comfortable manufacturing less than Sony 2:1 just because it fears there isn’t enough demand. For a company pivoting to a sub device this is dumb.

Sony being ahead due to having manufacturing chips months ahead is plausible.

MS catching up would have to imply they can manufacture more consoles, that’s what tougher to prove. We aren’t yet sure what part of the manufacturing process is the bottleneck to supply.

One has to assume, by all measures, MS is producing as much as possible. It is not a demand side issue.
It is somewhat a demand issue as series S has always constantly been available for more than a month in Spain, just checking other countries

germany also available https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/category/_xbox-series-x|s-konsolen-770510.html
france https://www.carrefour.fr/p/console-xbox-series-s-512go-microsoft-0889842651393
uk https://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-series-s-2831409

series X is not available though

I do find it strange why PS is 2:1 xbox, you would think they would be very close as both (series s excepted) are no where yet close to satisfying demand,
my conclusion is the chip makers prioritize PS higher for some reason, a special deal for sony, perhaps its also cause sony prolly buy far more chips (TVs etc)? but this is just guessing

It is somewhat a demand issue as series S has always constantly been available for more than a month in Spain, just checking other countries

germany also available https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/category/_xbox-series-x|s-konsolen-770510.html
france https://www.carrefour.fr/p/console-xbox-series-s-512go-microsoft-0889842651393
uk https://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-series-s-2831409

series X is not available though

I do find it strange why PS is 2:1 xbox, you would think they would be very close as both (series s excepted) are no where yet close to satisfying demand,
my conclusion is the chip makers prioritize PS higher for some reason, a special deal for sony, perhaps its also cause sony prolly buy far more chips (TVs etc)? but this is just guessing

This is demand, the PS4 sold more than 2:1 in the world than Xbox One. Out of US Series S is less popular even in UK.

Available In UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GD9MNZB/?tag=b3d-21

Price for scalper are higher on PS5 than Xbox Series X because Ps5 demand is higher.

France scalper
https://www.ebay.fr/b/Microsoft-Xbox-Series-X-Consoles-de-jeux-video/139971/bn_7117574287
https://www.ebay.fr/b/Sony-PlayStation-5-Blu-Ray-Edition-Consoles-de-jeux-video/139971/bn_7117575262

Ps5 Bluray price can go up to 1000/1100 euros. Out of US and UK, playstation console are more popular.

Spain sales of consoles for Q1 2021
espagn10.jpg

EDIT: At the end sales of consoles are less important for MS than Gamepass subscription.

Last edited:
Meanwhile in emerging markets, Series S is best seller two months in a row,, https://in.ign.com/india/159194/news/xbox-series-s-india-sales-price-april-2021-ps4-ps5-restock

”We weren’t expecting customers to choose the Series S over the PS4 when both are in stock,” claims one store executive on the condition of anonymity. “A lot of them are just doing it for Xbox Game Pass, in fact the number one request is to help them set up Game Pass for GTA V.”

That said, many aren’t expecting Microsoft’s lead to extend into May and beyond. Reason being, this May and June sees PS5 restocks.

Back