All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2021 Edition]

Interesting. I guess Microsoft do think they'll sell significantly more Series S consoles than Series X.

I didn't follow all the APU stuff last year and had no idea they were very different sizes as well.
XSX chips have disabled CU's, so don't produce enough defective ones to make using in XSS cost effective.
Better to have a much smaller SOC with its disabled CU's.
They also expect XSS to sell more than XSX in the long run.
Do we know they are making more series S
Based on MS saying it's just easier to produce and source components for the XSS.
Hence they can produce more.

Not precisely how they expected this to go. They expected XSX to be in demand at start with XSS in the long run out selling it.
So it's not like they don't want to produce the XSX, they expected to be able to produce more.
Just so happens that the XSS is helping pick up some of the slack already.

I imagine the XSS is a solution to a Microsoft's projection that the XSX will never reach a $299-$199 price point.
Could be, although with inflation being what it is, it will become impossible for any semi-decent console to hit the 199 price point outside of flash sales.

I imagine the XSS is a solution to a Microsoft's projection that the XSX will never reach a $299-$199 price point.

Xbox one 2013
Xbox one s 2016
Xbox one x 2017.

Xbox series s/x 2020
Xbox series redesign 2023 ?
Xbox series mid gen 2024 ?

We are already exiting 2021. One s hit in August of 2016. So we could possibly be just a year and a half away from a refresh of the series console design.

I doubt the Series X will be in productin long enough to hti $300.

Like I said , I think rdna 4 will be ready for the mid gen replacements along with at least zen 5. a 256meg infinity cache with hopefully drastic ray tracing performance by jumping two generations of graphics design.

So I think in 2024/2025 we will just see a new console from ms most likely coming in at $300/$500 or $250/$500.

There are just too many large improvements coming to amd hardware over the next 2-3 years that if one of the companies just refreshes the zen 2/rdna 2 they could end up getting crushed. 256meg infinity cache should pair extremely well with 4k. 3D cache for zen along with a newer zen design would boost performance and like I said rdna 4 has to have a lot better ray tracing

Could be, although with inflation being what it is, it will become impossible for any semi-decent console to hit the 199 price point outside of flash sales.

I've been thinking a lot about inflation, shortages and the consoles. It will likely be a while before MS/Sony feel much pressure to come off 499 I suppose. The 499 is very artificially low.

Going back to Stock X which I will probably reference a lot because I'm a nerd, but it tells us how close we are getting to PS5's and Series X on the shelves. I see the PS5/X have dropped a good amount recently. There seem to be frequent stock "drops" of the consoles based on a few PS5 stock trackers I follow. Anyways PS5 is 698, PS5 DE 684, and Series X 630. Significant drops from last I checked. Series S of course has not much demand over MSRP as it is typically freely available at 299, but is nominally 309 at Stock X.

Sony are also in a good spot because based on Stock X the DE is very in demand and people value it nearly as much as the Blu Ray model. By fiddling with their allocations and producing more DE as it becomes profitable they can do a soft price drop.

We will likely see another hefty drop in demand come January and people no longer buying them as gifts. So I will be interested how low we can go at that point.

Last edited:
Price of sold PS5s on eBay UK dropped towards £550 in the summer. It started climbing up but appears to be back around £550 again, even in the run up to Christmas. I think that points to interest at this price-point winding down.

Price of sold PS5s on eBay UK dropped towards £550 in the summer. It started climbing up but appears to be back around £550 again, even in the run up to Christmas. I think that points to interest at this price-point winding down.
If you look at that stock X site you can see what consoles, with UK pluigs are selling at
https://stockx.com/sony-playstation-ps5-blu-ray-edition-console-uk-plug-white
Sure I suppose a buyer could just take off the plug and stick a EU on, but I assume 99% are going to UK (or malaysian) ppl

edit: From nov 24, US plug PS5 disc was 54% price premium, now 3 weeks later its only 39%, dropping quite quick, maybe sometime in February parity is reached, i.e. not worth scalping, so perhaps in march we will start seeing them in shops

CEX have quite a few in stock these days so I feel we’re definitely getting close to the end of scalping as they soon will need to drop prices (probably right after Xmas)

Nintendo Switch Is the Best-selling Video Game Console in November With More Than 1 Million Units Sold

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--According to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the U.S., the combined sales of Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite and Nintendo Switch – OLED Model systems hit 1.13 million in the month of November, powering up Nintendo Switch as the best-selling video game console of that month.

Those stories/rumors of XBSS being the number 1 purchased system/sku during Black Friday was complete BS, which everyone should have known it was.

For the important holiday-shopping week of Thanksgiving, which includes Black Friday, Nintendo Switch was also the top-selling video game console, with nearly 550,000 systems sold. With November logged in the record books, Nintendo Switch has now been the top-selling video game console for 35 out of the last 36 months.

I would say not only Series but Series S on #2

You would say that but you have no evidence :p MS could have changed their shipping patterns but every sales # I've seen so far they ship about 2 X for every S. Besides that I strongly doubt S alone even if it outsold X, also outsold PS5.

Series S It's been in stock on Amazon for a few days. How many more X could they have sold and they missed out on is the question. Although given the supply constraints told in NPD, I guess not that many.

I thought there was a "good" supply of PS5/Series hitting the streets Just based on feel.. I guess I was wrong according to this data. Depending what you consider good anyway.

Well, people dying for a taste of next gen should be able to get an S anyway. Then sell it and get a full next gen console later is what I would do. Well heck I'd jus be working the internets til I got a full fat console in the first place knowing me.

Last edited:
Some people have very nice 1080P TV's and it was just a couple years ago when 4K really became the standard, not everyone is looking to rush out and purchase a new TV. The XS S offers tremendous value without the requirement of upgrading your display. The player still gets access to all the latest games with the primary caveat being it doesn't render them at 4K, but again, but many people that's not a big deal. We have to go back to the PS2 era of consoles to remember a time when you could purchase a next gen console for $299 at launch. Even if you would prefer to get the X model, with availability what it is, I don't see why you wouldn't purchase an S model now and get an X model down the road when availability isn't insane. For parents, an Xbox Series S with a gamepass subscription is probably the best bang for buck option in gaming. Im not an Xbox guy, but I cant deny the tremendous value proposition that Microsoft has brought to the table.

Nintendo Switch continues to sell really well. Not sure if the other consoles being supply constrained is much of a factor or not. Doesn't seem likely that a consumer who is looking to get a PS5 or Xbox will see the Switch as an alternative. Nintendo being the only major player in the dedicated portable market has worked out well for them. They coexist nicely with the other consoles, offering something unique. With the really good lineup of software for 2022, its likely to be another great sales year for the Nintendo Switch. I'm just hoping that Nintendo has learned its lessons from the past, its ok to release your new console before its predecessor flat lines. I'm hoping to see Switch 2 in 2023, but Nintendo being Nintendo, I could see them holding off until 2024.

Back