All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meaningless PR as Black Friday has become a thing outside of the US, meaning for the time being, every BF will be the best ever as sales spread and become more commonplace. Once it either becomes the norm or retail has sense to axe it, we'll be able to compare BFs to see if they're better or not.

I would say since 5 years the black friday is important in Europe and it could have been last year for example but no PS4 slim at 299 euros/dollars...

I take the bet the PS4 will have the best holiday season since the launch and it is not a very risky one...

And It will be easier with PS4 Pro for hardcore gamer...

I would say since 5 years The black friday is important in Europe...
Only 3 excluding this one. And the first wasn't massive as people weren't expecting it, unlike US consumers, and only a fraction of stores tried it. It's not yet a culture. As it grows as a culture, more and more sales from around that period will be focussed onto the single day/week. It'll keep growing and growing, even if the market sales actually decrease YoY, as you'll have n million sales on one day instead of across 30+.

Only 3 excluding this one. And the first wasn't massive as people weren't expecting it, unlike US consumers. It's not yet a culture.

In France the black friday was a reality in 2011 for online shop...

Type 2011 black friday France in search engine. It arrive later in physical shop but since 3 or 4 years it begins to be more and more popular...

I live in Europe ;) Switzerland coming from France and working before in Luxembourg...

And like I said before from my friend working in French retail in gamestop(micromania) December is for the moment much better than last year...

It is not a surprise 299 euros PS4 Slim and 399 euros PS4 Pro and the top brand for console in continental Europe by far and out of GTA it is the biggest game brand here...

Last edited:
Calendar Q1 2017 has a strong game lineup [Persona 5 has slipped to early April], so I expect good shipments in that period.

Are we still at a point, 50M units in, where incoming software can have a significant impact on hardware sales?

Are we still at a point, 50M units in, where incoming software can have a significant impact on hardware sales?
Regular arrival of diverse array quality software is the reason for majority of HW sales happen [just look how WiiU sales stagnated in teh wasteland of software releases]. But individual games can push hardware, most notably casual sport titles, casual and esport-oriented shooters [COD, DICE games], Rockstar open world titles [next year we are getting RDR2] and Bethesda softworks RPG titles.

I would be nice to somehow get info if FF15 and TLG have pushed hardware around their launch. Both are games that are so long in development that they somehow managed to feel "nostalgic", and therefore have potential to move people stronger than other regular game titles. :D

Amazon.com 2016 YTD shows the Slim jumped up like crazy.
#16 PS4 Slim Uncharted Bundle
#23 PS4 Fat COD bundle
#44 PS4 Pro

The Pro remains out of stock, not sure why amazon is struggling so much to get Pro stock. My local bestbuy have two continuously refilled pallet of Pros and Slims at the entrance. I went to my gamestop and same thing.

Amazon probably has more customers than your local bestbuy, and restocking Amazon is probably not as easy as managing one store.

Regular arrival of diverse array quality software is the reason for majority of HW sales happen [just look how WiiU sales stagnated in teh wasteland of software releases]. But individual games can push hardware, most notably casual sport titles, casual and esport-oriented shooters [COD, DICE games], Rockstar open world titles [next year we are getting RDR2] and Bethesda softworks RPG titles.

I would be nice to somehow get info if FF15 and TLG have pushed hardware around their launch. Both are games that are so long in development that they somehow managed to feel "nostalgic", and therefore have potential to move people stronger than other regular game titles. :D

I'm skeptical of the bolded this far into the console cycle. I think price cuts and value-adds are going to be much more effective at stimulating sales going forward. And as for WiiU, I think its sub-par sales can be fully explained by it being a sub-par system.

Last edited:
Amazon probably has more customers than your local bestbuy, and restocking Amazon is probably not as easy as managing one store.

Yeah, but at least according to nowinstock. Amazon hasn't had any Pro stock since November 27th. It's not an eternity by any stretch, but this time of the year stock would be nice. The other big stores like gamestop have them in their online store.

Amazon.com 2016 YTD shows the Slim jumped up like crazy.
#16 PS4 Slim Uncharted Bundle
#23 PS4 Fat COD bundle
#44 PS4 Pro

The Pro remains out of stock, not sure why amazon is struggling so much to get Pro stock. My local bestbuy have two continuously refilled pallet of Pros and Slims at the entrance. I went to my gamestop and same thing.
are you sure they aren't restocking hourly (and then it sells out again?)

Sorta peculiar imo. Seems like missed revenue there if they are having supply issues. Unless the profit margin isn't worth filling their warehouses for it (for other higher ROI items).

I suppose that could be a case.

Margins make sense. Considering nobody dropped the Pro anywhere at all, it could be the usual launch pricing of consoles with tiny margins, while it's clear the Slim is good profit right now if they could afford to drop it so low during BF. Could even be Sony doing this, knowing they have huge volume of Slims, but Pro not totally ramped up, giving lower list price during BF to reach cost-conscious customers fits the Slim perfectly.

Also, the Pro is everywhere in retail, and at the same price anyway. Amazon wouldn't waste valuable warehouse space for this. The lack of Pro price drop seems an important indicator... of something...:yep2:

lso, the Pro is everywhere in retail, and at the same price anyway. Amazon wouldn't waste valuable warehouse space for this. The lack of Pro price drop seems an important indicator... of something...:yep2:
hmm.
If I'm reading your tip right, I guess you're suggesting that because Pro is a niche machine, the TCV for the consumer is already obtained (the idea is that 4Pro customers are very high % already PS4 owners), so there's absolutely no value to Sony to discount/increase the cost of acquisition on Pro, because the TCV hasn't proven to increase with the purchase of 4Pro.

Well, I guess, in all fairness, there's absolutely no data for where Sony is going/has gone with Pro. This is pretty new for everyone. Next year after a years worth of data, they'll probably measure TCV of customers who upgraded to Pro and those that didn't and weigh out the COA to get individuals to upgrade to Pro. If Pro triggers the likelihood that you will increase your software library, we'll likely see some good discounts on 4Pro next year.

Yeah, and I guess the moment sony need to step up competition in that segment will be when scorpio pricing is at least announced.

Going around in circles... maybe after all there was honestly some stock issues which means no reason for a price drop...

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ps...lks-ps4-pro-ps-vr-and-super-mario-run-rivals/
DS: The PS4 Pro appears to have had a very successful launch. Reports claim PlayStation sales in the UK have tripled and that it outsold Xbox in the US on Black Friday. Is the PS4 Pro meeting your sales expectations, or even exceeding them?

SY: Yes, it's selling very well. We were hoping that people who purchased a PS4 day one would upgrade to PS4 Pro, and people who have a 4K TV would see it as their console of choice.

We need more time to analyse the situation, but it seems that more people who are buying PS4 for the first time are choosing PS4 Pro. I think that's driving a larger demand than we had anticipated. In many markets it's sold out and hard to find.
Maybe amazon was hit more because of the gigantic volume they have are more impacted by production supplies issues.

It makes some sense to want upgraders, they end up pretty much confirmed customers for the next few years, instead of waiting for scorpio. They don't want people switching. It's interesting that first time ps4 buyers getting a Pro... I would have thought these are the ones waiting for price reason, so it looks like sony misjudged the same way?

Most sales for upgraders were obviously the preorders (i mean why wait at all?), so no holding up stock for BF, there was no reason. Then it's just the production cycle speed for the rest of the year.

Last edited:
In France the black friday was a reality in 2011 for online shop...
One or two shops having a 'Black Friday' sales does not make a Black Friday. Amazon uk had its first 'Black Friday' in 2010, but it was just a bunch of limited offer lightning deals. True Black Friday means everyone offering deals and the consumers knowing this and changing their purchasing habits as a result. Anything else is just the usual deals. Black Friday for reals, with consumers in October thinking they'll wait a month or two to see if there are any amazing bargains to be had in November, is presently emerging in Europe, and with each year that BF gets stronger, the concentration of sales in the one week will increase, leading to better and better BFs regardless how overall sales are. You could have a million sold one year between October and December with 25% happening on one Friday, and then 800k sales happening the next year with 50% happening on BF, and the PR would read, "Best BF ever".

One or two shops having a 'Black Friday' sales does not make a Black Friday. Amazon uk had its first 'Black Friday' in 2010, but it was just a bunch of limited offer lightning deals. True Black Friday means everyone offering deals and the consumers knowing this and changing their purchasing habits as a result. Anything else is just the usual deals. Black Friday for reals, with consumers in October thinking they'll wait a month or two to see if there are any amazing bargains to be had in November, is presently emerging in Europe, and with each year that BF gets stronger, the concentration of sales in the one week will increase, leading to better and better BFs regardless how overall sales are. You could have a million sold one year between October and December with 25% happening on one Friday, and then 800k sales happening the next year with 50% happening on BF, and the PR would read, "Best BF ever".

It was the same thing last year in France and Luxembourg and no PS4 Slim at 300 euros. I think next year Sony will probably sold a little less PS4... This fiscal year is probably the peak year of PS4 sales.

It will be interesting to see forecast for Next fiscal year during end of fiscal year conference call. They will have a rebound of sales when PS4 Slim will be 199 euros (end of 2018?) but like other gen I think peak year will be with the 299 dollars/euros price tag...

And I think this black Friday will be the best for PS4 too...

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if PS4 Pro and scorpio will change significantly the sales pattern of a console generation.

Last edited:
PS4 got a huge bump this week in Japan due to FFXV. PS4 Pro sales stuck at 8K, that's 6% of the PS4 total sales.

Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| PS4 # |    118.350 |     42.102 |     35.782 |  1.443.946 |  1.126.714 |   3.745.023 |
| 3DS # |     78.929 |     71.312 |    103.009 |  1.485.206 |  1.815.688 |  21.671.208 |
| PSV # |     20.141 |     12.240 |     22.506 |    708.484 |    841.628 |   5.301.882 |
|  WIU  |      4.718 |      3.493 |     32.604 |    271.858 |    603.578 |   3.292.521 |
|  PS3  |        704 |        623 |      1.916 |     57.674 |    205.685 |  10.445.754 |
|  XB1  |        256 |        778 |        289 |      7.524 |     18.248 |      71.415 |
|  ALL  |    223.098 |    130.548 |    196.106 |  3.974.692 |  4.611.541 |  44.527.803 |
|PS4 Pro|      8.032 |      8.243 |            |     93.696 |            |      93.696 |
|  PS4  |    110.318 |     33.859 |     35.782 |  1.350.250 |  1.126.714 |   3.651.330 |
|  PSV  |     20.141 |     12.240 |     21.860 |    708.484 |    809.853 |   5.116.429 |
|  2DS  |     17.623 |     18.158 |            |    144.616 |            |     144.616 |
|n-3DSLL|     53.414 |     45.622 |     76.779 |  1.048.485 |  1.237.366 |   3.518.604 |
| n-3DS |      7.432 |      6.955 |     17.202 |    213.488 |    366.971 |   1.045.935 |
| 3DSLL |         92 |         95 |      1.113 |     12.841 |     93.900 |   6.956.106 |
|  3DS  |        368 |        482 |      7.915 |     65.776 |    117.451 |  10.005.955 |
stolen from Neogaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back