All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 1 million is pretty good for ROTR and not surprising either really. It's probably (certainly I suppose) well over 100k in just the UK, it did almost as well in France it's first week as UK apparently, then add USA (obviously the big one), Canada, Australia, 20% digital, the entire rest of the world (places like Mexico and Brazil exist outside EU)...it did have some bundles going for it that I'm sure they counted as well although it was limited (just Best Buy in the USA I think). Anyways 1 million really isn't a huge hit these days but at least you cant call the game a huge flop.

Nice to see also MS isn't entirely done dropping real sales numbers.

Also FWIW Greenburg on twitter said these are sell through numbers (although personally I dont think it's a big deal either way).

Seems like this thread is a little premature since we are probably going to talk about 2015 sales numbers at least until we get through all the posts related to Dec NPD. (why is double spacing borked?) 2016 related numbers probably won't get discussed until sometime in Feb.

For a game (RTR) that was mostly a disappointment sales wise, we spend a lot of time talking about it. Rainbow 6 Siege and Need for Speed are probably real jealous.

Last edited:
According to Welfare at GAF, the X360 was at 17.7M shipped as of the end of 2007

At least it puts a likely floor on One shipped numbers (assuming MS is comparing shipped) As you know I just do 2X USA NPD sales. Probably 22 million plus after December (One should be something around 11m in USA)

The fact they state One is above 360's pace shouldn't surprise anybody either, all we know for certain is NPD sales and it's way ahead so far there. I have the One 24% ahead of 360's pace in NPD so far (One through November 2015= 9.75m, 360 through November 2007=7.86m). Of course as I always point out, the real challenge will be 360's very strong late gen anyway.

It's worth noting I noticed again how accurate the shipments=2X USA sales was again for 360, even at just this random point. After Dec 2007 360 would have been a little over 9 million NPD, which would have led to something around a 18 million shipped estimate, and the actual was 17.7 million.

It would have been super awesome if they gave some % ahead One was.

For a game (RTR) that was mostly a disappointment sales wise, we spend a lot of time talking about it. Rainbow 6 Siege and Need for Speed are probably real jealous.

It seems to be really highly regarded as an actual game, apart from sales. Seems like every random internet comment or something I hear in a Destiny fireteam is really praising it. I guess you can say the same for Rainbow 6.

Last edited:
He said Rise of the Tomb Raider is well over a million. I don't know what that means, but if they can get close to 2 million, I think PC and PS4 sales will hopefully put it in the range they need for another in the series.

As I commented before I think delaying PS4 til fall was a really bad decision...the newness will be off by then and I cant remember any year after ports not flopping whereas 6 month ports are a different animal. But what do I know. At least the PC release is timely.

The Xbox exclusive games numbers are sold-through and not channel stuffin'/shipped to retailers or whatever else:
https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/684140018797953025
Well I did say that if December's sales were higher than expected, then I'd believe that it's sold-through. I was not aware that RoTR was $40 (or even less at some stores) for almost all of December, so that obviously helps.

Still not great seeing as how the first sold (shipped?) 3.4M in the same time frame, but not as bad as I thought.
At least it puts a likely floor on One shipped numbers (assuming MS is comparing shipped) As you know I just do 2X USA NPD sales. Probably 22 million plus after December (One should be something around 11m in USA)

snip
And as usual, my guess is a bit lower than yours. :) I'm guessing ~20M shipped.

As I commented before I think delaying PS4 til fall was a really bad decision...the newness will be off by then and I cant remember any year after ports not flopping whereas 6 month ports are a different animal. But what do I know. At least the PC release is timely.
Agreed.

Last edited:
They still have a lot of great DLC coming for ROTR. Survival mode as well as the next 'uh campaign thing' that is voodoo like. I think all these DLC bundled together for a re-release really makes ROTR an amazing package and should sway the crowds by enticing with VALUE and not just the novelty of being new. Just my thoughts.

1m plus for Rise of the Tomb Raider is pretty good given its launch window and what it was competing with. I think the perception was this barely sold at all.

It wasn't really perception, it really did not sell well in November. Aaron Greenberg even said that they sold a lot in December. Not sure about elsewhere, but it was priced at $40 or even less in the US for almost the whole month. Discount pricing during a busy shopping month, plus perhaps people finished with Halo 5/Fallout/Battlefront buying it, saved it from being a flop.

I don't know about elsewhere but in the UK it launched mid-month and after Fallout 4. Even if I had an Xbox One I wouldn't have bought it until I was done with Fallout which was this year.

I think delaying TR wasn't so bad if it's an edition that includes all the DLC. They may release a GotY version for all formats at the same time? By then the Uncharted hype will have died off so I can see it doing ok on PS4.

Usually it always comes back to haunt them later. We'll know more once the earnings report for the quarter ending in March is released.

Tommy McClain

Thanks to you, Xbox One continues to outpace Xbox 360 at the same point in time in the Xbox 360 generation, making it the best-selling console in Xbox console history.

I have a feeling this is going to comeback to hunt them. ~81 million XB360s in the wind... don't see this happening with XB1, given its current path of just depending on the US/UK.

I have a feeling this is going to comeback to hunt them. ~81 million XB360s in the wind... don't see this happening with XB1, given its current path of just depending on the US/UK.
I thought XB1 was selling better than the 360 during the same period of their life time. Why is it impossible?

we need an updated one of these (pretty please with cherries on top);

ps4-sales1.jpg

I thought XB1 was selling better than the 360 during the same period of their life time. Why is it impossible?
XB1 is selling faster because it was a lot more front-loaded than the X360 was. Not impossible, but I don't see the XB1 quite reaching X360 lifetime sales either. ~65M is my guess.

Because the territories (other than US/UK) that sustained XB360 growth, isn't there this time around. And lets be honest, UK sales are starting to degrease. US sales are primarily keeping the XB1 floating along...

No I'm stating or painting a doomsday scenario for XB1... I just don't see it matching XB360 LTD sales. At least Sony has found other territories (Middle East, Germany, etc...) on supplementing the laggy Japanese market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back