[360, PS3] Tekken 6

I don't think we need a physics based fighting game. Fighting games have been good up until now because they're predictable and consistent. It could be cool, and interesting, but I don't think it would stand the test of time of more traditional fighters.

That's what they said of 3D as well. Come on!

Well, I think it would be cool to see, don't get me wrong, but I think it just wouldn't be "predictable" enough for the mass market.

Physics based fighting (I think we're on the same page, maybe you need to define this more) will make it harder to get consistent combos off, and a consistent damage.

Understandably, all fighting games have "physics" they are simply a bit generic, but this helps to ensure that they are extremely predictable and the user can consistently do things like combos, juggles, etc.

Tinkering with that, I think, will cause problems with the genre, and I don't think it would be very successful.

But, you never know!

However, it is so time for a physics based fighter ...

Word on the street is Fight Night Round 4 will be just that. Not exactly the same kind of fighter though. Rumours from the community day showing are they removed haymakers and the damage from a punch is determined by forcie, timing, location and movement. So if a guy moves his head into a punch and it lands right on his chin, he's out. I'm not sure if that level of detail would fit a game like Tekken. I think the oldschool fighters will always have a place alongside the more sim style fighters where the physics would be more appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's my understanding that the VF series has had very complex interactions when it comes to damage, so just that isn't unique. I'm not really sure what 'physics-based fighter' means at all, though, since physics, when speaking in game terms seems to be shorthand for 'lever puzzles'.

Well, I think it would be cool to see, don't get me wrong, but I think it just wouldn't be "predictable" enough for the mass market.

Physics based fighting (I think we're on the same page, maybe you need to define this more) will make it harder to get consistent combos off, and a consistent damage.

Understandably, all fighting games have "physics" they are simply a bit generic, but this helps to ensure that they are extremely predictable and the user can consistently do things like combos, juggles, etc.

Tinkering with that, I think, will cause problems with the genre, and I don't think it would be very successful.

But, you never know!

Well, thats what they did with the FPS genre. From quake1/2 where everything was extremely predictable and you had perfect aim to Half-Life where the bullets direction are randomized to emulate "reality".

I really miss the old "perfect" FPSs which really premiated years of practice where you would get practically invincible instead of the current day where you can only get so good.

I guess that could be the turning point for fighting games as well, lovering the bar of entry for beginners so that you actually could win against a skilled opponent.

I think just better animation would do the trick. You can fake good physics through animation and still have predictable hitboxes and frame counts.

What would a physics based fighter bring? physics arnt random, if you hit something exactly the same way twice you will get the same result unless you take variables like wind into the picture. So what are we really after? just more varied and realistic animation?

I don't get why there's a problem with adding the motion blur on the 360, doesn't the massive Edram bandwith (256GB/s) allow you to do this relatively easily?

I don't get why there's a problem with adding the motion blur on the 360, doesn't the massive Edram bandwith (256GB/s) allow you to do this relatively easily?
It isn't a simple motion blur, read the quote ...he talking about dynamics adjust of character's movement and speed who needs a massive use of ps3's SPU to maintain 60 fps steady.

Sounds to be more of an issue of porting code. Im having a hard time believing that this massive computational intensive fluid animation blur concept is beyond the ability of the Xenon.

Could we perhaps define "physics" based fighter. I personally dont see the great leap being suggested here unless perhaps we are talking about interactive background. Im not sure what realistic physics would truly bring to the fighting genre. Now if we are talking about a Power Stone type fighter I could perhaps see the merit in an advanced physics fighter, but for the standard 2d/3d fighters in the genre I wouldnt consider it to be a great addition.

This game should look better, games like Killzone 2, GoW2, Uncharted 2, RE5 etc have comparable graphics, and aren't limited environment games.

I wouldn't say comparable since the relatively flat and simplistic lighting in both Gear2 and RES5 are enough to go down a tier from the other two, also it's totally unfair to compare shooters to fighting games don't you think?
Still, I agree tekken 6 could look better since it's not pushing much more than SC4, are there even self shadows in T6?

I wouldn't say comparable since the relatively flat and simplistic lighting in both Gear2 and RES5 are enough to go down a tier from the other two, also it's totally unfair to compare shooters to fighting games don't you think?
Still, I agree tekken 6 could look better since it's not pushing much more than SC4, are there even self shadows in T6?

And Tekken 6 will have amazing lighting? Japanese games more often than not are the ones with 'flat and simplistic lighting'.
Having played the arcade version, I can tell you the apart from the revamped animations, it basically looks like a high res T5.

I was comparing the visuals of current gen shooters to fighting games. Fighters due to the limited environment where the action takes place (and the need to display only two characters on the screen at once) should look head and shoulders above any shooter.

I bet a good Western dev (or Capcom) would trounce Namco's efforts (graphically)

And Tekken 6 will have amazing lighting? Japanese games more often than not are the ones with 'flat and simplistic lighting'.
Having played the arcade version, I can tell you the apart from the revamped animations, it basically looks like a high res T5.

I was comparing the visuals of current gen shooters to fighting games. Fighters due to the limited environment where the action takes place (and the need to display only two characters on the screen at once) should look head and shoulders above any shooter.

I bet a good Western dev (or Capcom) would trounce Namco's efforts (graphically)

Quality game apart, Namco graphically is still real competitive. 60 fps in this generation are rare. However, I think is normal to have more difficulty to porting an engine based to hit ps3 SPU technology, on 360. The same street fighter 4 engine it isn't so impressive, nevertheless on ps3 has more compromises total absent 360 version.

I don't totally agree with how the Japanese devs are producing less than stellar lighting and effects. Polyphony Digital has wowed me with their excellent HDRI and arguably the best looking car models, Kojima production did wonders with MGS4, SE's FF13 and FF13VS have insanely detailed character models especially hairs consider they're RPGs. My point is, some top tier western devs may produce the best looking games but some of the Japanese games aren't that much behind. Though I would like to see how factor 5 handle a fighting game since they can crunch up an insane amount of polys in their engine. I recall a dragon was made of 150k of polys in Lair?

I got the impression he talks about velocity based object motionblur. I think LP and TR has for 360 version.

It isn't a simple motion blur, read the quote ...he talking about dynamics adjust of character's movement and speed who needs a massive use of ps3's SPU to maintain 60 fps steady.

This link posted here has interesting info.

http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/249/next-xbox-could-be-affected-by-tekken-6-tech

Even here at NBGI, the Soul Calibur Team gave up on it for Soul Calibur IV. In order to accomplish this effect, we had to write a lot of code optimised to make full use of the PS3’s SPU. Ultimately, we implement the same motion blur on the 360 so this will be a great challenge."

You can read the full interview with Harada in issue 44 of X360, out later this month.

Total rubish! :rolleyes:

We already have a hi-res version of T5 on PSN, T6 looks much better. Im not saying T6 looks great but your statement is just plain wrong and really quite annoying.

Total rubish! :rolleyes:

We already have a hi-res version of T5 on PSN, T6 looks much better. Im not saying T6 looks great but your statement is just plain wrong and really quite annoying.

Well, it's an exaggeration, obviously. But it doesn't look that 'next gen', similar to how people say Halo 3 looks like Halo 2.5 or Halo 2 HD.

Certainly when I first played the arcade version I wasn't much impressed (though the new animations were nice)

Back