[360, PS3] Tekken 6

Does it really need to be put down to "buyouts"? SC4 sold better on 360 than PS3. Why would they make their next fighter exclusive to the lowest sales platform?

Dr Evil also makes a good point in terms of wanting to space their fighters out. Namco's decision here reeks of good business sense, as much as some appear to be emotionally tied to the outcome.
Well, Kojima/Konami remained loyal to the Playstation brand, but probably because they knew MGS4 would sell well regardless. Tekken and figthing games in general seem to be on a downslide for sales, so this isn't really surprising.

Dr Evil also makes a good point in terms of wanting to space their fighters out.

For the record, fighters don't need a space gap of one whole year. SC4 sales have decline.

It should cost almost nothing to port the arcade to the PS3 since the arcade ran a PS3 under it's hook. Is there a lot of time constraints involved for the port? It's shouldn't be. And it should be in Namco best interest to benefit the sales on the PS3 version when they have the chance. The game probably doesn't need to sell 300ks WW to make profit.

Something tells me that Namco just chance their minds right now to make it mp. Still no reason to delay one for the other. A 360 version can come 4-6 months later with extras to help it sell. That's strikes the perfect balance to me. It's not a full year late, like how PS3 games are suffering from the 1 year later ports of Oblivion, Bioshock and Eternal Sonata. Perhaps, MS is using money in this case as well as others.

In this market making it multiplat is the best decision. Are there any good reasons to why not? other then the fanboy dribble. especially with predicted lower spending by consumers

But personally the tekken series has already had its best game (TTT), and it still baffles me why hasnt namco gone back to that same formula.

Im probably gonna get it for the ps3 becuase of controller, but will wait to see what the online issues are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my .02 cents - I think the 360 port is a desperate measure to recoup some development costs from a subpar game. The buzz around the arcade version is that it's Tekken 5.51 - and that the few gamers that still go to the arcade are playing other games. Face it Namco - you've done NOTHING to the Tekken franchise in over 5 years - you haven't even bothered to upgrade the graphics engine since Tekken 4, porting a sub-par game to multiple consoles may get everyone else's panties in a wad - but I've got better things to spend my money and time on that a rerelease of a bad sequel twice over!

If anything - this game being non-exclusive to Sony is only a good thing for Sony!

Jack

Just my .02 cents - I think the 360 port is a desperate measure to recoup some development costs from a subpar game. The buzz around the arcade version is that it's Tekken 5.51 - and that the few gamers that still go to the arcade are playing other games. Face it Namco - you've done NOTHING to the Tekken franchise in over 5 years - you haven't even bothered to upgrade the graphics engine since Tekken 4, porting a sub-par game to multiple consoles may get everyone else's panties in a wad - but I've got better things to spend my money and time on that a rerelease of a bad sequel twice over!

If anything - this game being non-exclusive to Sony is only a good thing for Sony!

Jack

I thought that Tekken 6 was doing very well in Japan.

This game should look better, games like Killzone 2, GoW2, Uncharted 2, RE5 etc have comparable graphics, and aren't limited environment games.
Would like to see a decent Western developer (not whoever made MKvsDC) make a fighting game, just to see what kind of visuals they can push, perhaps Rare will do Killer Instinct 3.

Looks too shiny/plasticky as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trailer looks great. Can't wait to see what kind of extras are in the game. I'd like to see a fleshed out Arcade/Kumite/Quest mode!

This game would be more interesting if online is guaranteed to be better than SC4 online.

Japanese developers should outsource networking to Western developers.

Oh and didn't Naughty Dog do Way of the Warrior back in the day?

Maybe they could flesh out some better fighting modes in a future Uncharted game -- Nathan encounters a boss and has an extended fight with him, with actual moves and so forth.

Of course, their first priority should be putting in online modes in Uncharted.

This game should look better, games like Killzone 2, GoW2, Uncharted 2, RE5 etc have comparable graphics, and aren't limited environment games.Would like to see a decent Western developer (not whoever made MKvsDC) make a fighting game, just to see what kind of visuals they can push, perhaps Rare will do Killer Instinct 3.

Looks too shiny/plasticky as well.

None of those games are 60 fps though. Hell, they barely are 30.

I think the game looks great, all the released screens are from the actual game, not bull shots with tons of AA, AF and DOF.
And, honestly, don't go mentioning GoW2 and then complain about shiny and plasticky in other games, please.

None of those games are 60 fps though. Hell, they barely are 30.

I think the game looks great, all the released screens are from the actual game, not bull shots with tons of AA, AF and DOF.
And, honestly, don't go mentioning GoW2 and then complain about shiny and plasticky in other games, please.

Well Gears 2 has much more of a matte appearance.

And COD4 runs at 60fps, without having a limited environment.

Have you actually played the game at an arcade?
I have and the graphics were underwhelming, even if compared to SCIV.

Next Xbox could be affected by Tekken 6 tech
http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/news/249/next-xbox-could-be-affected-by-tekken-6-tech
According to its executive producer, Tekken 6's graphics approach the limit of what the Xbox 360 is capable of, and the beat em up's technology may affect development of the console's successor

"It is a challenge to fit this game onto one DVD and to make sure the data is read at a fast rate," Katsuhiro Harada told X360. "It is essential to utilize the 360’s functions and strengths to the fullest in order to accomplish the same goal. I believe that the data and experience gained during development may affect development of the next iteration of the console."

As Tekken 6 was developed on an arcade board based on the PS3's architecture, replicating the its high graphical fidelity on the 360 - at 60fps - has been very challenging according to Harada.

"Tekken 6’s graphics engine was developed for a high frame rate to create fluid motion rather than focusing purely on extravagant still shots," he said. "Using a ‘fulltime adjustable animation blur’ which adjusts to each character’s movement and speed, these games show a new level of smooth and dynamic movement. This technology has proved very difficult to realise with fighting games running at 60fps.

Even here at NBGI, the Soul Calibur Team gave up on it for Soul Calibur 4. In order to accomplish this effect, we had to write a lot of code optimized to make full use of the PS3’s SPU. Ultimately, we implement the same motion blur on the 360 so this will be a great challenge."

You can read the full interview with Harada in issue 44 of X360, out later this month.

Well Gears 2 has much more of a matte appearance.

And COD4 runs at 60fps, without having a limited environment.

Have you actually played the game at an arcade?
I have and the graphics were underwhelming, even if compared to SCIV.

You're right, Gears 2 looks like giant clay models running around a stale environment.

This game runs at twice the frame rate, and the models are actually pretty detailed. On top of that, it's got some really cool effects, one of which being a really great motion blur *at 60fps* (not many console titles, if any, have this).

Even so, Tekken would look absolutely ridiculous if it started aiming for hyper realism, especially when you're fighting a giant bear, or your feet start glowing and you flip 10 feet in the air.

I really don't get what's with you hyper realistic folks, it's not for *every game*. Why must a game be underwhelming if it doesn't look like "teh real life"?

Well, there aren't any realistic looking fighting games actually :D But in Tekken 5, the bears started looking pretty realistic, especially the polar bear.

Tekken is still my favorite fighting series, and it looks like Tekken 6 could hold the title for me. The text about using the SPUs for animation has me intrigued. However, it is so time for a physics based fighter ...

Back