Lets see if I can emulate Hardknock..Tekken 6 to 360?

Rangers

Legend
http://www.xbox360only.nl/nieuwsitem.php?nid=3657

Apparantly this is the translation of the dutch site:

The rumours about PS3-exclusive games that might also come to Xbox 360 keep on coming. After recent messages about Devil May Cry 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4, this time it's Tekken 6 whose exclusivity is taken into doubt.

According to "sources within IGN" (the same source who said VF5 would come to Xbox 360) Namco is currently working on a Xbox 360 version of Tekken 6, that would appear winter 2007, just short after the PS3-version.

Is Tekken 6 the next exclusive Sony is going to lose and where will it stop? Will Sony have any exclusive important franchises left at the end of 2007

Apparantly this is the same source that first mentioned VF5 to 360. Most damning to me though is this little qoute a little while back from IGN:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/749/749547p7.html

We're as sober as the Pope. Watch and see how other Japanese publishers react. Mark our words here: Other publishers, other big-name Japanese publishers aside from Capcom (how we love thee, Capcom), will begin putting their once Sony exclusives on Xbox 360. And, in some cases, they'll put them on Xbox 360 first. Don't believe us? Watch for Namco and Konami in 2007. We're still not certain whether Metal Gear Solid 4 will hit Xbox 360, but if numbers (of units sold) do the talking, count on its arrival to Xbox 360 sometime after the PS3 version. What about Namco? We're sworn to secrecy, but the tide is changing here too. Prepare for some real Namco hardcore gaming love in 2007

This appears to possibly be the beginnings of some rumblings that will come to fruition, though I wouldn't expect confirmation for a while. As well, something was said about the PSP tekken for PS3 download was in satisfaction of a contract Namco had with Sony to deliver one new tekken game to PS3 in 2006.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extremely unlikely, but hey, if they do they can add me as an extra unit sold ;)

What's with this trend of news sites reporting what other news sites post as rumours lately? Where the hell did these guys get their journalism degrees, Livejournal?

Well, last generation, they lost Silent Hill, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and others, which were original Playstation Exclusives, so if Tekken goes multiplatform....ouch :oops: .

The only reason I bought a PS2 back then was because of Tekken Tag, and if Tekken 6 goes to X360, that just gives me more reason to get a 360 next year instead of a PS3.

This appears to possibly be the beginnings of some rumblings that will come to fruition, though I wouldn't expect confirmation for a while. As well, something was said about the PSP tekken for PS3 download was in satisfaction of a contract Namco had with Sony to deliver one new tekken game to PS3 in 2006.
For the record, Hardknock has gotten the rep points back yesterday and I can live with the shame.
Let's put it this way: the weekly "PS3 doesn't really have any exclusives" newsbite will make Peter Moore smile just as much if it's just a rumor. Platform PR deals in relevance not in truth.

Assuming this might be substantiated, the Sony guys really need to be more aggressive with the deals they make to define their platform.

Assuming this might be substantiated, the Sony guys really need to be more aggressive with the deals they make to define their platform.

It's likely not very cost effective to take that route. Why pay a lot of money to a big 3rd party studio like Namco to make a game exclusive for some limited period, when that money could be better spend in your own studios.

Sony needs focus on attracting devs to their platform using means other that paying them off. For example, leading by example with their own titles and really showing off the delta between a PS3 exculsive and a multi platform game. Or getting devs excited about the hardware by showing real world results.

With MS currently throwing money at studios at Japanese studios, it's not smart for Sony to get lured into a bidding war at this time. That is a path MS would destroy them on since they could out bid them every time.

Using money to pick up new/young studios is a different story though. There is high risk here but the reward potential is big. But buying something like Tekken you practically already know what the sales numbers are going to be before it is even created. Your selling to a built in audience. Your chances of it exceeding expectations with regard to sales is small.

It's likely not very cost effective to take that route. Why pay a lot of money to a big 3rd party studio like Namco to make a game exclusive for some limited period, when that money could be better spend in your own studios.

Sony needs focus on attracting devs to their platform using means other that paying them off. For example, leading by example with their own titles and really showing off the delta between a PS3 exculsive and a multi platform game. Or getting devs excited about the hardware by showing real world results.

With MS currently throwing money at studios at Japanese studios, it's not smart for Sony to get lured into a bidding war at this time. That is a path MS would destroy them on since they could out bid them every time.
I agree.
But it's important for Sony to get a positive feedback loop going. They still have a way to go before they reach that critical mass that would attract not only wider ranges of gamers but also reassures publishers.

Short of buying out the world, securing select key titles in the startup period could pay for itself in the long run. For last gen there was a clear platform of choice for fighting games and that's a pretty big deal because it's an important (offline) multiplayer genre and gets a lot of play time.
inefficient said:
Using money to pick up new/young studios is a different story though. There is high risk here but the reward potential is big. But buying something like Tekken you practically already know what the sales numbers are going to be before it is even created. Your selling to a built in audience. Your chances of it exceeding expectations with regard to sales is small.
Even outside the hardcore arcade tournament players, many people play fighting games. They may never get really good at it and never play competitively but that's not necessary to get social on the weekend.

You can do both. As for Tekken, if, and that is a big if, Namco was/is looking at broading the market with it Sony would need to consider the fact Tekken has been a major Playstation brand for over a decade. Its sales volume has declined, but the presence of the brand is important for mindshare and association. While losing exclusivity may not mean much in regards to sales, it would represent a changing relationship with Namco to a minor degree but more importantly would signal a change in the market winds: For a decade being exclusive, even without a deal, was worth the effort because the consumer base was so large and compelling, and riding the identity so rewarding, there was no reason to consider the small fries in the market. Losing some exclusives is bound to happen, especially these timed exclusives. And some long held defacto exclusives are going to change. But it is to Sony's advantage, both from a consumer and publisher point of view, to minimize these rumors.

Sony needs focus on attracting devs to their platform using means other that paying them off.

It is all about the money. Either from Sony directly or a market base that is so compelling they can be confident in reaping a significant windfall. Obviously publishers are not going to ignore the millions of units Sony sells, but if they can sell 1M on MS and 1M on Sony then they will.

For example, leading by example with their own titles and really showing off the delta between a PS3 exculsive and a multi platform game. Or getting devs excited about the hardware by showing real world results.

The time for Sony to show such a delta is launch--if not a year ago when development on titles for 2007 were already well under way.

Further, from a publisher perspective it doesn't matter. MS has a large install base lead and time to market lead in NA (12 months) and Europe (15 months or more), has a fully deployed and fleshed out online service, and have resolved the majority of their system bugs and quirks. And the PS2 clearly demonstrated that even hardware significantly faster in many areas doesn't create more compelling games (i.e. it is a software/talent issue). Even worse, even if Sony shows off a killer PS3 app, which publisher can 1) fund it and 2) expect to make a profit on it? If you spend $50M on a next gen title you absolutely MUST have a profit guaranteed. If Sony isn't going to help you foot the bill, then you are going to put that on other platforms--especially if the competition has more customers in your release window.

Finally, you assume such a delta exists. I think graphically you will be hard pressed to prove such. Worse case scenario for MS is the Xbox 360 has the same amount of system memory and a relatively competitive, if not frustrating, graphics subsystem.

The real solution is marketshare. That has been Sony's weapon of choice for 2 platforms. Which makes the PS3 strategy pretty interesting. Release a year later, offer a significantly more expensive product, have limited availability in the trend setter/pay anything stage, and have a library of multiplatform titles with few exclusives, and even fewer high budget / extremely polished titles. Sony was on notice in Spring of 2005 that they had 18 months to get killer apps out the door Day 1 to make up for their delayed strategy and compensate for the platform cost differences. I am still scratching my head why they just didn't aim for 2005 (Cell and RSX could have been ready), with software development starting in 2004, and just blow MS and Nintendo away. 3 gens with 100M units would have been the ultimate nail in the coffin.

So now Sony is a year late with little software to show for itself. If you don't have a huge market share lead at the beginning the only other option is to fund development. MS has chosen to fund developers and publishers (not necessarily bidding as you say--there is a difference). Nothing is stopping Sony to fund projects. at this point it seems like a good move.

Using money to pick up new/young studios is a different story though. There is high risk here but the reward potential is big.

True, which is why MS has funded Mystwalker, Realtime Studios, Peter Jackson and have also funded new Ips from Bioware, Epic, Silicon Knights, and so forth.

But buying something like Tekken you practically already know what the sales numbers are going to be before it is even created. Your selling to a built in audience. Your chances of it exceeding expectations with regard to sales is small.

What happened to Sony showing them how it is done and how an exclusive could far outstrip a multiplatform title ;)

On the pre-built audiance, I think you hit the nail on the head. And when a number of exclusives become multiplatform, that pre-built fan base now doesn't have to say, "GTA or Halo" but can say, "Hey! I can get both!" Keeping that fanbase can be important because they buy other titles as well. And for a rabid fan base, like VF5's fans, they can help with console adoption.

Now Tekken may be so weak of a brand that at this point the fans don't care and the mindshare/PR issues are pretty irrelevant. But IF this happens, it will show a shifting in the industry. At some point you have to call it a trend if this continues, at which point the entire dynamic by which we view the consoles changes.

I will say this: For every past exclusive that becomes multiplatform a couple things happen: Platform cost becomes a much more relevant purchasing decisions, services and extended features come into play (BDR, online, etc), and exclusive become a grey area of great importance for fence sitters but also less forceful for many as there is a smaller "block" of exclusives to sway a buyer one way or the other. And dare I say the first couple "killer app" must have games could dramatically sway the market.

Honestly I would have never posted this or the MGS4 rumor. A random forum post is just not enough evidence to me. My thread was based off an interview with the developers.

With that said I wouldn't doubt this news after hearing about VF5 but this is far from confirmation. Guess we'll see soon.... I would love to have the big 4 3D fighting games (DOA, Tekken, VF and SC) all on one console with online play :devilish:

Edit: Nevermind I didn't even read it, this is from some unknown website.... hmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I would have never posted this or the MGS4 rumor. A random forum post is just not enough evidence to me. My thread was based off an interview with the developers.

With that said I wouldn't doubt this news after hearing about VF5 but this is far from confirmation. Guess we'll see soon.... I would love to have the big 4 3D fighting games (DOA, Tekken, VF and SC) all on one console with online play :devilish:

Edit: Nevermind I didn't even read it, this is from some unknown website.... hmmmm

Yeah, the website is no biggie to me, but couple it with what longtime IGN editor Doug Perry wrote, and the conclusion seems fairly likely.

Those IGN guys have connections, they just aren't always allowed to speak of them. Remember Cassamasina broke for the most part the final Wii specs (and a took a horde of bashing from Nintendo faithful, but in the end he was basically right).

Similarly not bashing you, but your interview qoute was awfully vague in my opinion. It just happened to work out in the next few days. I dont expect that to happen here, but I do expect Tekken on 360 at some point..

I dont know, otherwise what would Perry be speaking of? It could be a new Ridge Racer or even various arcade games for XBLA I guess, but I still go wih Tekken.

BTW I mostly stole this topic from GAF, who got it from TeamXbox forums, so I'm obviously not really the one speculating. It's web-wide.

In the interview the guy specifically stated they had something in development but nothing they could announce at that time. Everytime a PR person has used the words "announce" and not something more concrete they're usually hiding something. It was true for Ninja Gaiden, Assasin's Creed, etc....

And this game from Namco could be the Tales of RPGs.

Not saying this isn't true of course, we'll see.

Those IGN guys have connections, they just aren't always allowed to speak of them.

Yeah, something about being the biggest video gaming site in the world ;) Peeps may hate no them, but there is no doubt they are large and well connected to publishers in the industry.

In the interview the guy specifically stated they had something in development but nothing they could announce at that time. Everytime a PR person has used the words "announce" and not something more concrete they're usually hiding something. It was true for Ninja Gaiden, Assasin's Creed, etc....

Or the Ace Combat series? o_O

Or Soul Calibur IV (it hasnt been confirmed as a multiplatform title, is it? :oops: )

I would prefer namco bandai to port the last or a new opus of the dbz something serie.
I've been a huge fan of tekken, for me it resumes in combo fest.
At this point I would prefer a 3d revamp KI with killercombo than tekken and have something more original like dbz.

I am still scratching my head why they just didn't aim for 2005 (Cell and RSX could have been ready), with software development starting in 2004, and just blow MS and Nintendo away. 3 gens with 100M units would have been the ultimate nail in the coffin.

So now Sony is a year late with little software to show for itself.

Yeah If they had stuck with DVD instead of BR, the machine would've been cheaper and they would've been able to launch PS3 beside X360. SONY was in a difficult position but KK wanted BR in PS3 so they didn't have a choice.

Bleh this is getting rediculous.

One console losing all its exclusives while the other one just increases it shows how weak competition is becoming.

But perhaps this could be another failed attempt to spread negative rumors of PS3 losing an exclusive title (like DMC4). Who knows though?

I would rather it be a tales game then Tekken but the hint they gave suggested that Tekken might be it or Soul Caliber (if you can really consider it all that exclusive to the platform.).

Namco already suggested that they would have to sell 500,000 copies of every next gen game (pointed out the PS3 in particular.) to make money off of their investment. With the Japanese gaming market in stagnation they have to take a look at the world wide market rather then just focusing on Japan and sending game they think might sell to the west afterwards.

But perhaps this could be another failed attempt to spread negative rumors of PS3 losing an exclusive title (like DMC4). Who knows though?

Meh, nothing new.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/7221/Tekken-5-Coming-to-Xbox/

Nov. 17th, 2004
The latest issue of Famitsu has revealed that Namco’s Tekken 5 will be released across all platforms. This will mark the debut of the Tekken franchise on both Xbox and Nintendo Gamecube.

Sounds like a deja-vu to me and you know what that means. There's a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something. :oops:

the difference now is this that market share and price are a big factor in where games will land. That old rumor was just that a rumor based on little reasoning.

There is also this thing called wishful thinking even if there is a reasonable explanation to support a rumor though.

That kind of rumors were surfacing even before the 360 gained its huge userbase.

There is also this thing called wishful thinking even if there is a reasonable explanation to support a rumor though.

True, but there is definately momentum in reality feeding these flames. To one degree or another many titles have seen their "platform" status changed in the industry in the last 24 months. Be it swapping platforms, going multiplatform, ending timed exclusivity, and what not it is a trend that goes both ways, but has been biting Sony hardest. GTAIV, Assassin's Creed, VF5, and so forth.

Mindshare, especially early in a console, is important. And while it is mostly perception, in the last year MS had made a number of exclusivity announcements (Alan Wake, Splinter Cell 5, Bioshock) and Sony has been at the opposite end. Obviously not all things are equal when Sony has 10x the exclusives to begin with, but it is hard to label these things wishful thinking... when they keep happening.

That kind of rumors were surfacing even before the 360 gained its huge userbase.

Publishers are the first / best situated in regards to looking at release schedules, platform and software development costs, and gauging market forces and trends. Not perfect mind you, but I think it was pretty clear in 2005, and certainly early 2006, that Sony would have to delay and that software development was slightly behind.

Back