Star Wars: Force Unleashed

Judging from the demo (360), I would not give graphics 7.5. It should be at least 8.5, maybe 9. Also, I have never experienced any screen tearing or frame-rate problems as well. I am still on the edge about buying this. The only problem is they say the game is too short (8-10 hours even if you take your time).

If you rate SW unleashed as a 9, im guessing there has to be a lot of games that score higher than 10 in your graphics ratings...

Surely this kind of thing would work way better with a mouse? Certainly if its anything like Jedi Knight.

It's nothing like Jedi Knight and I think that is where most of the disconnect is with people.

Personally I love this game, it is unbelievably unforgiving and just flat out hard. Reminds me a lot of the original Dark Forces; this game just feels like Lucasarts. Shit is broken but somehow it just feels right and adds character to the game. The best way to describe it is like owning an Alfa Romeo, all the crap that breaks just adds more character to the car. It infuriates you but because you know its coming you struggle though it and you know when everything is working right it is fucking glorious.

If GTA4 gets 9.5-10, I do not know why this one cannot get a 8.5.

GTA4 reviews are a product of the press's past mistakes. They kept giving the original gta3 series highscores and created a fan basethat expected highscores and thus they had to give a high score.

The force unleshed is a new game and isn't subject to a huge install base. So there wont be the backlash that would occur with the gta series . Can you just imagine what a backlash the website that gave gta4 a 7 or a 8 would get from the fans of the game ?

Reviews have to change with the times. Reviews are reviews, they are not supposed to provide what the fans want. True fans would Want to know if the graphics match the current gens expectations. They don't want a score based on a predecessor. If the graphics were rated according to past games scores we would be playing in 50s and 60s scores for graphics:rolleyes:

I've tried the PSP version and I was pleased. Gameplay is great, cant wait to finish it.

[offcourse framerate is big issue here, in some massive fights it dropped to 15fps, but overall its OK]

Just because professional reviewers are afraid of big publishers and grossly overrate games doesn't mean you have to aswell.

true but I think a lot of gamers underestimate GTA IV's graphics... I think they are worthy of every point of 9-9.5.

they accomplished as realistic a look and feel of the environment as any game has before it IMO

i think SWFU looks pretty danged good as well... at least 8.5 IMO (based on demo)

Jedi Academy does 3rd person Jedi combat better than this game. I spent a few hours with a friend's PS3 and really did not like the game much at all. Controls are pretty bad and so is the camera. Yuck for the most part. It made me want to load up JA though. I can see why this game isn't on PC. It's obviously a console game, meant for gamepad play and just loaded with console gameplay aspects.

Visually, there's the usual lack of anisotropic filtering and it's aliased up to wazoo. That's just how these consoles deal though so I'm not really surprised there. I don't think the environments are all that amazing though, but I only saw a few of the areas. Facial animation is nice. Vader looked not so great however (too much sheeeen). They really let loose with the 'ol pixel shader shine gloss wax.

The game actually kinda reminds me of the old SNES Star Wars games, with mini-bosses and stage bosses, and all the zillions of bad guy killing, and the point bonuses. Biggest difference is that this is 3D and those are sidescrollers. Camera was better then. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why this game isn't on PC. It's obviously a console game, meant for gamepad play and just loaded with console gameplay aspects.
I agree. We had a discussion at work about it, and got a few "that's BS" replies when I mentioned Lucasart's official reasoning for the lack of a PC version, but I did point out that it's the type of game that's meant to be played with a controller.. controlling this game with a mouse/keyboard would be difficult at best.

swaaye said:
Vader looked not so great however (too much sheeeen). They really let loose with the 'ol pixel shader shine gloss wax.
This comment is going to show the utter geekiness of my circle of friends, but we were discussing this very issue on another forum, but in relation to SW canon rather than technical issues. The consensus was that the Vader in the game was modeled after the Episode III Vader costume, and that the game actually explains why it looks different from the OT Vader, because of what happens at the end of the game.

I agree. We had a discussion at work about it, and got a few "that's BS" replies when I mentioned Lucasart's official reasoning for the lack of a PC version, but I did point out that it's the type of game that's meant to be played with a controller.. controlling this game with a mouse/keyboard would be difficult at best.

That's true for DMC4 too, and that got a solid PC port, from a Japanese developer no less.

I still don't get why they couldn't make a better suit for vader to survive in. They had some great tech and they just kinda threw him into that suit. Oh wells.

The game is fine so far. I hate teh qte but whatever. Its a solid 7.5 game that is nice to play before the big storm of tripple a games coming out in october and nov

I still don't get why they couldn't make a better suit for vader to survive in. They had some great tech and they just kinda threw him into that suit. Oh wells.

There is a reason why the Emperor did that you know........

That's true for DMC4 too, and that got a solid PC port, from a Japanese developer no less.

And PC DMC4 didn't exactly sold well on PC. If games doesn't translate well to mouse and keyboard, it will most likely tank on PC.

Anyway this game come across as really boring to me. Shame.

He did. Hence why the suit looks different from Ep3 to Ep4.

Edit: Well in-universe thats the reason. The actual reason is fairly obvious. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the suit was damaged basdly. I dunno. I'd just make a kick ass suit and go kill the old man.

That "old man" is a badass. Hell Luke went through hell (the dark-side) in order to finally destroy clones of him. Additionally the Emperor also controlled Vaders access to the drugs he needed to survive (and was addicted to) as well as the possibility of his suit hampering much of his dark-side powers.

Back