The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I did those races with my bro. I couldn't get a big enough lead to leave it in b-spec mode for too long, so we still had to do most of it. It was long ago, so I don't remember exactly.. I don't think I'll have the time to do them in GT5.

It seems ("seems", I wonder how much of the dark spots of GT5 are generated by poor translators) that standard cars won´t have interiors modelled, nor cockpit view, even in an abstract form.

Bad marketing decission from PD, in any case, because these kind of news are the ones that make fanboysm arise. Being clear and controlling unrealistic expectations it´s reasonable, imho.

By the way, it´s just a point of view issue. You can see the offer of 800 standard cars as a "gift", a special form of summa enciclopeaedia of automotive cars, an interactive one. It´s not the case of the cars not having accurate data of speed, handling, brake, power, acceleration and so on. In fact all those data will feed the new physics engine, so the standard cars will be, in a sense, "new", and the feeling driving them, "refreshed", up to date. I buy this approach, but... I know, DLC will rule the Earth, but... if the quality is there, I´ll buy.

More on the side of "facts". The official Playstation web page for GT5 says that there are 20 places and 70 layouts. Can any make a list of known places already?
- 6 from Prologue (Daytona, London, Fuji, High Speed Ring, Suzuka and Eiger Nordwand).
- Madrid, Tokyo, Roma (9 in total)
- Nürburgring, Top Gear, Le Mans (12).
- Toscana (13).

I bet for another rally track (14), and the rest... 6 "places", and for sure some traditional tracks from previous installments will appear. Grand Valley, Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, El Capitan... Who knows.

In GT4 the list was:
Real tracks:
- Tsukuba, Fuji, Infineon Raceway, Laguna Seca, Twin Ring, Suzuka, Nurburgring, la Sarthe (8).
Earth & snow:
- Swiss Alps, Cathedral Rocks, Tahiti, Grand Canyon, Ice Arena, Chamonix, East & West log (8).
GT original tracks:
- HS Ring, Midfield raceway, Grand Valley, Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, El Capitan, Autumn Ring, Apricot Hill, Test course, Motorland (10).
- Urban tracks:
Seoul, Tokio, Hong Kong, Stage Route 5, New York, Seattle, Cote d´Azur, Paris, Amalfi, Citta di Aria, Las vegas (11).

The amount of places is really high: 37. But, at the same time, the number of layouts was 54, less than the 70 PD promises for GT5 (I suppose that the inverse tracks are not taken into account).

Any idea about tracks in GT5?

Thank you in advance.

It seems ("seems", I wonder how much of the dark spots of GT5 are generated by poor translators) that standard cars won´t have interiors modelled, nor cockpit view, even in an abstract form.

IIRC I've read elsewhere (maybe from a link a few pages back?) that the standard cars will have a more generic interior to be used across multiple models of the same make, if I understand correctly. So while (for example) there might be a (or a few) premium BMWs with detailed individually modelled interiors the rest of the standard BMWs will all share one generic interior.

Come to think of it that might have been some posters speculation, but I'm sure PD know how important a cockpit view is to many racers and that system seems like a good compromise IMO.

More on the side of "facts". The official Playstation web page for GT5 says that there are 20 places and 70 layouts. Can any make a list of known places already?
- 6 from Prologue (Daytona, London, Fuji, High Speed Ring, Suzuka and Eiger Nordwand).
- Madrid, Tokyo, Roma (9 in total)
- Nürburgring, Top Gear, Le Mans (12).
- Toscana (13).

I bet for another rally track (14), and the rest... 6 "places", and for sure some traditional tracks from previous installments will appear. Grand Valley, Deep Forest, Trial Mountain, El Capitan... Who knows.
Any idea about tracks in GT5?

Tokyo Route 246 is in the game.
I believe Tsubaka Circuit has been mentioned too.
The unnamed night track from that trailer is probably special stage route 5.
Also the Toyota promotional video's track is still unknown. Some think it could be the infamous Stelvio Pass.

Supposedly Polyphony had made recent scouting visits to Mazda Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, and Monza, so I think they'll all be included as well.

There are about a dozen locations shown off in the GT5:prologue ending video, that we've yet to see or heard about since. There has got to be more rally track locations than what's revealed so far.

20 plus locations has always felt a little underwhelming. There are so many classic GT series phantasy tracks missing. Some playstation blog community manager posted the game actually has 40+ locations and over 100 variations. Too good to be true ? I hope not.

I found this list from gaf. Either PD's appetite was larger than their stomach, or they've been holding back the true number of tracks in the game. Or maybe dlc ?

Goldrusher said:
Additional tracks in GT5P's ending movie...

1. China, Hong Kong
2. France, Chamonix (2)
3. France, Paris (2)
4. French Polynesia, Tahiti Maze
5. Italy, Citta di Aria
6. Italy, Costa di Amalfi
7. Japan, Tsukuba Circuit
8. Japan, Twin Ring Motegi (4)
9. Korea, Seoul
10. Monaco, Monte Carlo
11. USA, Grand Canyon
12. USA, Infineon Raceway (2)
13. USA, Las Vegas Drag Strip
14. USA, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
15. USA, New York
16. USA, Seattle
17. USA, Yosemite (4)
18. Polyphony, Apricot Hill Raceway
19. Polyphony, Autumn Ring (2)
20. Polyphony, Deep Forest Raceway
21. Polyphony, Grand Valley Speedway (2)
22. Polyphony, Midfield Raceway
23. Polyphony, Motorland (3)
24. Polyphony, Trial Mountain Circuit

I think PD always meant to refer to 20 real world locations. There will most definitely be 40+ tracks with over 100 variations. We already know that the Nurburgring alone has five variations.

Update:
Looks like they've straightened things out. The Standard and Collectors Editions are now listed properly and available for pre-order.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Damnit, Amazon, what the hell are you doing?! Be consistent! Grrr.... Anyway, for those interested:

GT5:CE (link 1)
GT5:CE (link 2)

Don't ask me the difference between the 2, and don't ask why its not linked to properly on the main GT5 listing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silent video showing head tracking:

I wonder if leaning (like what Dr. Marks suggested) would work more naturally.

Hmm... good point. Leaning will only support sideway panning. May be that's why they track head orientation instead. I heard they model the backseat of the premium cars.

Okay.. so, if you wanted to look to the right of your car, to see whatever's on that side... you turn your head to the right. But then you'll have to crank your eyeballs all the way back to the left because what you're actually looking for is still directly in front of you on the screen.

Head tracking = pointless.

Not 1:1

Okay.. so, if you wanted to look to the right of your car, to see whatever's on that side... you turn your head to the right. But then you'll have to crank your eyeballs all the way back to the left because what you're actually looking for is still directly in front of you on the screen.

Small head change makes for big screen change. It is similar to using thumb joystick to steer but you are using your head.

Not as good as having 180% curved screen (I hate ugly multiple monitors) but cheaper since you only need the webcam as long as you have a giant screen.

Jedi2016 said:

The phrase "don't knock it until you've tried it" springs to mind...

Some of us have been using TrackIR for a long time, you really don't need to move your head much at all to trigger the camera, and your eyes follow the action naturally. I imagine there will be a sensitivity slider too.

PD were at Texas Motor Speedway for the NASCAR reveal video, KY was there too. They were shooting everything in sight; it would make sense for them to have modelled the track while they were there (seeing as they had the rights and a bunch of cameras :D)

As shown by videos, you don't have to crank your eyeballs, because you don't have to move your head all that much. Judging by the videos I've seen, it would be just as if you were to look at your passenger side mirror in real life (from the left hand driver side).

It's not a ground breaking feature, but it'll be a nice little feature for PS Eye owners (which I will now own since I pre-ordered a Move bundle).

It's not a ground breaking feature, but it'll be a nice little feature for PS Eye owners (which I will now own since I pre-ordered a Move bundle).
Sounds kinda broken to me. If it were me, I'd recreate user habits, which means most importantly tracking up/down displacement so players can peer over hills. To add left/right peering would need a bit of AI to determine where the player is going to be looking, and rotate the camera a smidge around that point. This head-based control is an artifical control mechnaism that somewhat defeats the point of a natural interface.

Sounds kinda broken to me. If it were me, I'd recreate user habits, which means most importantly tracking up/down displacement so players can peer over hills. To add left/right peering would need a bit of AI to determine where the player is going to be looking, and rotate the camera a smidge around that point. This head-based control is an artifical control mechnaism that somewhat defeats the point of a natural interface.

This is basically how it's traditionally been done on PC, except of course that for now they seem to have limited it to left/right rather than also including up-down. this is not necessarily bad - if you include up-down this means you are also limited in how to hold your head while driving - you can't lean back when you get a stiff neck etc. Also while I agree that moving left/right would be easier in principle because you can keep your eyes on the screen, when you want to look into a turn rather than turning your head when you want to look into a turn is very counterintuitive. If the movement is sensitive enough while remaining accurate, turning your head up to 30-45 degrees each side for looking into a turn is fine, you'll still be able to look at the screen easily enough.

The point about "locking" your head position is valid. It'd be too rigid to play.

However, I think Polyphony may be able to adjust the "free play zone" such that head tracking doesn't kick in until you turn your head sufficiently. The other way is to trigger a button to enable head tracking.

PD would have wasted their backseat modeling work if we cannot turn and look behind in premium cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back