The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is the link that (almost) confirms weather ?
http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-weather-track-editor-confirmed/

It was also confirmed in OPM some month ago.

It's not wise to assume too much. All features are probably not going to be available on all tracks. It's been that way before. The rally track is currently the only one we've seen with day/night.
Actually we know that Nurburgring and Le Mans has day/night transition too, and dont know if that was Kazunori or a guy from PD confirm that Photo Travel Location will have day/night transitions also. We've also seen evening to night transition on SSR 5 in a E3 trailer.

There is tons of prebaking going on in GT5. From scenery shadows to lighting etc. Though is not like other games dont do similar stuff to up framerate.
Yeah its obvious that every developer make sacrifices and cutback textures, geometry etc on consoles, because they has too. But i mean that when Polyphony is trying to do something new, they go for simulating it as much as they can.

I thought they denied some of OPM's GT5 reported features ?

Kazunori seems unhappy with Shuhei Yoshida's interview. I fear we may not hear the last of this feature list yet. :)

Too many achievements at the same time if everything that is hinted is true, for sure... but y I highly doubt it. Seems almost impossible. Let´s recap:

- Day/night transitions -> Ok, but only in some circuits and with some compromises in lighting for sure...
- Dynamic lighting -> Really complex isn´t? Ok, we have one light source (the sun), but if the light is dynamic, and we have races at night, what happens with lights from cars? Are they going to simulate that too? Generating shadows and all the stuff? Seems like imposible, but... I bet for some specially designed tracks with the assets restricted in order to reduce graphical load... If that´s no the case... they´re doing arcane magic (60 frames/high resolution at the same time)
- Dynamic weather -> That´s simply beyond belief, even in "special" tracks and situations. Maybe if Top Gear track is the only that implements that feature, with "custom" test conditions, only one or two cars and so on... could be very interesting in order to play with physics and driving model. But Madrid in a rainy day? Impossible I think.
- Track generator - track or just paths in Top Gear track with cones, tires and the same stuff? If there´s a track generator, I bet for a simple one, with very basics assets, but at the same time that could be a killer feature, because driving is just... driving, a car with the adequate track layout, elevation, etc can be really interesting to play with, even if the assets are somewhat "poor" and generic.
- Go carts - Why not.
- 40 tracks with 100 layouts - That would be simply awesome. 20 seems more "doable".

The features in photo mode don´t excite me as much as all the above.

Let´s be serious, if they manage to do all that, even if the implementation is far from perfect (what I doubt considering the somewhat "extreme" Yamauchi´s behaviour, he´ll drop the feature if the quality is not enough), the game is mindblowing content-wise. Just the definitive car game for a long time. Too many improvements at once. But I don´t know how it can be done with a five years old hardware, 512 MB and so on, and the high quality stuff that we have seen already.

GDC it´s going to be very interesting.

Yap, I also doubt they have everything. Even if they do, they should split it into DLCs for better QA and further revenue stream.

No evidence necessarily of day night transition though? Driving at dawn first towards the sun, then away and into the shadow of the hill?

That kind of transition is just stupid, for a game that tries so hard to be realistic. Sure, we'll just go from 2PM to 11PM in thirty seconds, it'll be cool!!

I think the only time such transitions should come into play is during the really long races.. 24hr LeMans or Nürburgring. And would happen in real time. Any normal 5-lap race, you just pick a time of day and be done with it. The vast majority of races in GT are measured in minutes.. the sun isn't going to move far enough in that time to make a difference, so why bother?

That kind of transition is just stupid, for a game that tries so hard to be realistic. Sure, we'll just go from 2PM to 11PM in thirty seconds, it'll be cool!!

I think the only time such transitions should come into play is during the really long races.. 24hr LeMans or Nürburgring. And would happen in real time. Any normal 5-lap race, you just pick a time of day and be done with it. The vast majority of races in GT are measured in minutes.. the sun isn't going to move far enough in that time to make a difference, so why bother?

The transitions were sped up for the demo. Pretty sure this has been covered on GTP quiet a bit.

That kind of transition is just stupid, for a game that tries so hard to be realistic. Sure, we'll just go from 2PM to 11PM in thirty seconds, it'll be cool!!I think the only time such transitions should come into play is during the really long races.. 24hr LeMans or Nürburgring. And would happen in real time. Any normal 5-lap race, you just pick a time of day and be done with it.
Are you practically suggesting that since its a game that's leaning towards realism it should have 24hr LeMans races that should actually last 24 hour ? I'm sorry but that's just foolish thinking.
The vast majority of races in GT are measured in minutes.. the sun isn't going to move far enough in that time to make a difference, so why bother?
Because its cool & cause its still a game. The game portrays realism in the areas it should ie. Car physics, simulation etc etc so I don't see what's wrong if it does "Gamey" stuff for other areas. Also no harm in trying such exaggerated effects in a game if its included as an option & I guess you can change the speed at which TOD changes as well.

Beside what you are doing is just nitpicking the game for including something.

T_T Why do you assume we are stupid ?

I believe the transition effect is meant for those 24 hour GT races that hardcore racers/gamers participate in from time to time.

Are you practically suggesting that since its a game that's leaning towards realism it should have 24hr LeMans races that should actually last 24 hour ? I'm sorry but that's just foolish thinking.
They already did it in GT4. There was a full 24-hour race at Le Mans, and I think one at the 'Ring, too. So not as foolish as you might think. Aside from GT, several other games have done it, too.

Tha_Con: thanks.. I haven't read all of the bazillion-page threads over there.. hehe. The "news" thread has over 19,000 posts.. the downside of being the biggest GT forum in the world. :)

T_T Why do you assume we are stupid ?
That wasn't my intention, I was just making a point of how silly instant transitions from night to day are. If anything, I was making fun of PD.

They already did it in GT4. There was a full 24-hour race at Le Mans, and I think one at the 'Ring, too. So not as foolish as you might think. Aside from GT, several other games have done it, too.
Yeah, but do you expect them to sit there for hours just to see an effect? :smile:

Those races were brutal, though. For the endurance races, I just got a big lead then put it in b-spec mode.

Btw, that video is stunning. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back