FFXIII screens, trailers, etc*

I just don't think something like this could be realtime in this generation of game consoles.

We got Gears of War within a year of this gens life cycle.

Its just a matter of artistry and what kind of games they are that will determine how good games will look this gen.

In terms of just 'real time' visuals..alot is possible. Gameplay is another matter..and like I said, Gears was a wake up call (and really only a sample) as to what PS3 and 360 will be able to accomplish, visually.

Forgive me for asking with my limited technical knowledge but, what exactly in that screenshot makes you think that?

My limited knowledge diverts my attention to the detailed textures, lack of jaggies, good lighting, and lack of unsightly hard edges.

My limited knowledge diverts my attention to the detailed textures
See R:FOM, Motorstorm and the like..

lack of jaggies,
They're there if you look at the full size image..

good lighting
HDR anyone?

and lack of unsightly hard edges.
Ever heard of normal mapping?

My point is this..:

1. Square-enix are well known for there artistic ability when it comes to getting there games looking stinkin' beautiful (you only have to look at games like FFX to know that.. Heck even "The bouncer", one of the earliest Squaresoft titles they did for the PS2 graphically ran bloody rings around 90% of 5/6th generation Xbox titles..)

2. The company has had access to PS3 development hardware earlier than even Epic had access to the Xbox360 dev kits used to do GOW.. and that game is out now..!

3. There's nothing in the picture I would say is technically improbable in terms of what the H/W is capable of.. Also if you consider the fact that Square-Enix are not adverse to using a variety of assets with varying levels of detail within the same game (i.e. FFX had seperate character models for the cut-scenes [high detail], battles [medium detail] and world map [lower detail]) to allow the system to balance the performance load and maintain excellent overall IQ depending on the player's view of the action..

Overall its very possible that these screens are real-time and if memory serves.. Square-enix are not known to lie about such things..

(Plus if you check out the youtube video a couple of posts back you'll see how incredible the white engine is coming along to be..)

See R:FOM, Motorstorm and the like..

I suppose I should stop reading your picking apart of my post here already.

My point is this... :

<Square-enix reputation>

Good Points. And I have thought of that as well. I would say it is a valid point, though I have my reasons to doubt.

(Plus if you check out the youtube video a couple of posts back you'll see how incredible the white engine is coming along to be..)

Which one? The one where they show a flying ship? If you read a couple posts back, you'll see I already saw it and told explained what was explained.

We've seen enough high-res images from the heroine in FFXIII by now; there are evidently two versions, a nice smooth CG and a somewhat more edgy ingame model. However they create very similar impressions and the only way to separate them is to look for the poly edges and jaggies, the rest is pretty close to each other. It is one of the best looking games so far, although it'll probably take more than another year until it's released (partially because Square will wait for Sony to build a reasonable PS3 userbase).

We got Gears of War within a year of this gens life cycle.

Its just a matter of artistry and what kind of games they are that will determine how good games will look this gen.

In terms of just 'real time' visuals..alot is possible. Gameplay is another matter..and like I said, Gears was a wake up call (and really only a sample) as to what PS3 and 360 will be able to accomplish, visually.

My guess would be, Gears is probably close to the limits of what can be done in terms of texture rez on these consoles. I just can't imagine it getting shockingly much higher, probably'd require much more ram, and I'm not sure it'd come through with 720p displays.

Other aspects such as animation, on-screen chaos, etc, are probably where the next jumps are gonna be set... and for showcasing those, almost nothing beats a standard jrpg.

Forgive me for asking with my limited technical knowledge but, what exactly in that screenshot makes you think that?

I agree. I'm really not that impressed with FFXIII, I really can't see the hype surrounding its visuals.

Flat, low res textures. Lighting is decent but nothing spectacular.

It's got a nice colour palette going on though. Art direction is nice.

I think Mass Effect, although it's going for a different style, looks WAY better technically from what I've seen of both games.

I agree. I'm really not that impressed with FFXIII, I really can't see the hype surrounding its visuals.

I think Mass Effect, although it's going for a different style, looks WAY better technically from what I've seen of both games.

Obviously you didn't see the video that they shown.

How can you agree with just a question? I disagree with you however. The question wasn't meant to say this game looks bad, quite the opposite - I think it looks beautiful.

Mass effect is nearly done when last time I heard, FFXIII was only like 10% done. I ain't going to touch the subject which one looks better but I will go ahead and say I like the style of this more than Mass effect. This coming from a huge FF fan so it probably doesn't have much weight for some people.

first of all, the texture is anything but low res or flat. take a look at this
http://au.media.ps3.ign.com/media/826/826843/img_3975823.html
the reflection on the blade was amazing.
the lighting granted is not as perfect as the CG, but it's certainly not worse than Masseffect. please list me some effects in ME that looked "way" better than FF's. if anything, FF has much better hair and cloth simulation. the animation is also top notch. i dont c why r u being so negative about it. oh and FFXIII is only like what 5% complete? the final game would be overwhelming.

Last edited by a moderator:
first of all, the texture is anything but low res or flat. take a look at this
the lighting granted is not as perfect as the CG, but it's certainly not worse than Masseffect. please list me some effects in ME that looked "way" better than FF's. if anything, FF has much better hair and cloth simulation. the animation is also top notch. i dont c why r u being so negative about it. oh and FFXIII is only like what 5% complete? the final game would be overwhelming.

Despite the insignificant "details" spotted on one surface of an otherwise superbly detailed monster and tried to make such a big fuss out of them, the game still looks almost CG quality to me. Perhaps games must oerdo it with bumb mapping almost anywhere even in places that dont necessarilly need it

Well, perhaps I am blind, but coincidentally the video game community must be blind as well because the first things the journalists wondered was "which parts of it were real time and which CGI" when they saw it. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back