No European PS3 launch until March

Ok they try to compete with hd dvd it's obvious but USA it's also the place where the battle with xbox360 is suppose to be be the toughter...
Good luck Sony, two fights in one place, at least they are focus with so few units available ......lol

London-boy 1 - Rest of B3D 0

:D

Well, Pachter's assumption makes sense but I think given the situation in front of them, even without BR/HD-DVD, they go the same route. I think its clear that their gaming market share is in the most peril in NA from MS and to a lesser extent in Japan with Nintendo. I dont think the allocations are clear indicator of anything but where Sony thinks they would lose the most sales by not having supply.

I wonder why they wouldnt just throw 100K into EU like Japan anyway? At least they could say they launched and would keep Sony fans focused on trying to get a PS3 and not getting something else.

It's kind of funny that on the cover of the preorder DVD that has been marketed in Europe for a while now says:

" How long will you dare to wait"

LOL:)

Luckily I had made the desicion not to buy PS3 this year, so to me this wasn't a big hit, but lot's of people seem to be pissed about this. I think Sony could have done things bit better this time, I mean PS2 launch wasn't too spectacular either.

I wonder why they wouldnt just throw 100K into EU like Japan anyway? At least they could say they launched and would keep Sony fans focused on trying to get a PS3 and not getting something else.
Heh, that's what i've been saying...

It can only be one of two things:
They either have something in store. Like 6 million units or even 4 before March, which would be impressive, with LOADS of units available at launch in Europe. Or they have just made the wrong decision.

Don't know, it just looks like they're buying time, when there really shouldn't. I mean, we all knew there would have been supply problems, and there will still be supply problems even with the Euro delay, so it really doesn't make much of a difference if they had a pathetic launch with 100k units in Europe. But a delay, and a long one too... I just don't see a reason for it.

they could also only launch in belgium :)

btw, the reason they are giving japan 100k is that they can have much faster newer stock , maybe 2 times a week fresh from the plants of japan and china.

Okay, whoever said that this means RSX is G80 upstream. . . we may need to consider one of those cult deprogramming type deals for that person. I mean, c'mon. :LOL:

For the news in general --ouch. In my mind, the NA launch is now at risk itself. 400k for NA launch, having cut Japan down to 100k? That looks like running the ragged edge to me of absolute minimum, and they haven't started production yet! Anyone who thinks that process is easy, is sadly mistaken. There is a real chance now of only a moderate size problem in production assembly ramping making the November NA launch untenable as well.

500k at launch now, christmas comes 5 weeks into the launch period with half the "christmas buying world population" off the table, but they still expect 6M by end of March? How does that work? There are going to be a couple million fully paid "PS3 vouchers" under christmas trees this year?

Right now, I'd be less surprised to see the NA launch pushed back as well a month or so from now than I would be to see them launch in NA as planned with their 400k predicted units. Can we see them launching with, say 250k units? I just don't see that. Can they politically blow off Japan entirely for NA? I can't see that either.

I'm also wondering if the spring 2007 price cut I was more-or-less expecting is very likely now. I can imagine a whole lot of howling if European early adopters get an immediate price cut when NA early adopters have to pay full boat.

How much all this will matter a year from now, let alone three years from now, is a different question, but more or less "missing" christmas 2006 (and if they haven't technically done so yet, they've given up, oh, 2/3 of the power of "christmas buying" at this point, by taking Europe off the table and having a maximum of 400k for NA) is certainly going to slow them down.

Nintendo, even more than MS, must be dancing in the streets, assuming they can execute.

"London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007, as always intended.

Fixed.

...How does that saying go again... oh that's right...

"Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, go **** yourself."

Didn't Sony make redundant 10,000 employees or something last year? If so, it looks like they threw out any 'brains' that was left in the company... what's left seems to be fumbling in the dark...

Sony remind me more and more of Nintendo of the 90's as each day passes. With the PS3's current specs hitting Euorpe in 2007, this gets a big 'meh' from me compared to the competition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey69
Ms would have a xbox360 with a hddvd drive but no games taking advantage of it , no movies are out for it (or not so much as blueray)

http://www.thedvdwars.com/index.cfm

i was doing an IF statement.

if HDDVD only have 500 titles compared to 3000 in a few years (random numbers)

current numbers of titels dont mean anything.

London-boy 1 - Rest of B3D 0

:D

Heh, no fair. I agree with expletives, shipping to US is to plug Xbox 360's gain. Europe and Japan are still PS territories.

US also because Hollywood and the major media are there to witness the Blu-ray vs HD-DVD fight.

PS3 is not just "using" gamers to lead the home video industry. It's also to use the home video industry to secure their gaming position. It's a self-reinforcing loop on-paper (if Sony can execute).

They'll do fine as long as the product excites people. Keep working on it (Are you done yet, Sony ?).

For the news in general --ouch. In my mind, the NA launch is now at risk itself. 400k for NA launch, having cut Japan down to 100k? That looks like running the ragged edge to me of absolute minimum, and they haven't started production yet! Anyone who thinks that process is easy, is sadly mistaken. There is a real chance now of only a moderate size problem in production ramping making the November NA launch untenable as well.

500k at launch now, christmas comes 5 weeks into the launch period with half the "christmas buying world population" off the table, but they still expect 6M by end of March? How does that work? There are going to be a couple million fully paid "PS3 vouchers" under christmas trees this year?

Right now, I'd be less surprised to see the NA launch pushed back as well a month or so from now than I would be to see them launch in NA as planned with their 400k predicted units. Can we see them launching with, say 250k units? I just don't see that. Can they politically blow off Japan entirely for NA? I can't see that either.

Well, the Nintendo DS was released first in NA and I don't see any reprecussions in Japan, atm. So it would have been possible for Sony to launch later in Japan as well.

As for the christmas tree vouchers, I think that the pre-order program was probably very successful in Europe and Sony doesn't expect that people will cancel their orders...

Atleast lower the damn price for Europeans, we are already royally getting screwed with the price and we are supposed to wait til March? Oh okay...Sony really makes me wonder if they believe people are mindless fools who will wait like there's no tomorrow for the next Playstation. I swear, someday they will get destroyed because of this and that day, might come sooner than they expect.

Atleast the game library for european launch should be freaking kickass. Assassin's creed, Heavenly sword, DMC4(?) all the candies will be there, but it doesn't make people feel any better. This shouts PS2 launch all over, except the games will be better..

And when PS3 gets released in Europe, how many units should we expect? 3? "Playstation 3" would fit it perfectly. geez..

Last edited by a moderator:
Atleast lower the damn price for Europeans, we are already royally getting screwed with the price and we are supposed to wait til March? Oh okay...Sony really makes me wonder if they believe people are mindless fools who will wait like there's no tomorrow for the next Playstation. I swear, someday they will get destroyed because of this and that day, might come sooner than they expect.

Atleast the game library for european launch should be freaking kickass. Assassin's creed, Heavenly sword, DMC4(?) all the candies will be there, but it doesn't make people feel any better. This shouts PS2 launch all over, except the games will be better..
You expect MS will run out of money like sega....lol
Anyway I agree it's the same with a big but Sony has competitor this time.

Well at the end of the day, love them or hate them, this is what happens when a company has been so dominant for so long.

It's the same now for the company i work for. Because of our position in the market, we actually DOUBLED our already-high-fees to our clients from last year, and the clients had no choice but to just agree (didn't even think about it too long) as we are the only ones they can get certain services from.

The only difference is that Sony DOES have very strong competition now, and it will be interesting to see what MS and Nintendo will do now.

It will be VERY VERY interesting to see if MS can take this and turn it around so well that they will actually convince me in buying a 360 by having the games i want. Only a miracle could make that happen though.

This is really interesting battle now.

What do you think Sony can do now? Massive drop in PS2/PSP (and games) prices? And pray that Wii doesn't let 360 get major chunk of Holiday sales.:???:

I thought they just dropped PS2 price in US 1-2 days ago ? PS2 price in Europe was dropped a while ago.

This is really interesting battle now.

What do you think Sony can do now? Massive drop in PS2/PSP (and games) prices? And pray that Wii doesn't let 360 get major chunk of Holiday sales.:???:

Heh, what can they do??? Brace themselves, cause this is gonna be a VERY tough week for them, and brace themselves for one hell on an onslaught this Xmas.

I do take my hat off to whoever said that Wii (then called Revolution) was gonna launch before PS3, and that PS3 would eventually come out in 2007. I think it was PC-Engine or one of his friends...:D

WoW that is bad news for Sony.

I wonder what kinds of actions from MS and N will this make, I guess that if they are very agressive with price and marketing they could get a lot of new users (probably garanting much more later). Specially because last gen consoles will (already) does have very few interesting new games (actually cant remember any, but as long as there is a new fifa and such....) and those who want to get new/good games will probably need to get one of the the new consoles. Thus making a risk of snowball fx.

Back