New SCEE CEO: Reeves replaced by Andrew House

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Crossbar, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Crossbar

Veteran

Not a day to early in my opinion. Not that I think David Reeves was stupid or anything, but he is a person I find hard to relate to and I think that was the case for a large part of SCEEs customers. His presentations at the game conventions in Europe felt awkward to me. I hope Andrew will do a better job.

Here is what he looks like:
    [​IMG]

What he will do.

Some stuff he has done.

Should be on the same frequency as Stringer. :grin: (link)

Education:

#1 Crossbar, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2009
  2. rounin

Veteran

Whatever happened to Sony being an engineering company headed by engineers...

3. Crossbar

Veteran

"Whatever happend to the funky race? A generation lost in space,"

Seriously I don´t think David was a typical Sony Engineer, looking at his background:

I can´t find any information about Phil Harrisons education, anyone?

Replacing Ken Kutaragi with Kaz Hirai probably had a bigger impact on the engineering bias of the Sony leadership.
    Whatever it means.

4. obonicus

Veteran

In a slashdot interview linked off Phil Harrison's WP page he seems to suggest he's been in the game industry full-time since 1987. No idea what that means, though.

5. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

There's still tretton left for awesome interviews.

6. patsu

Legend

Hopefully this means they will consolidate some of their online infrastructures.

Would be interesting to see new Playstation marketing approaches in Europe under Andrew House.

7. deepbrown

Veteran

8. JPT

JPT
    Veteran

At last Reeves is out or at last House is in? :)

9. deepbrown

Veteran

Reeves is out. To be honest, I don't really know what he has done for PlayStation, but when Phil left, Reeve's speeches have been nothing but drivel. I think this House dude sounds good - I mean his name is House.

10. Farid

Farid Artist formely known as Vysez
    Veteran Subscriber

Can't say that this news is surprising, given the internal "discussions" going at the various SCE branches over what to do and how to do it. Some people had to get their way, comply or leave.

While, it's nice, from a standpoint, to have various regional groups having their own particularities (strengths and weaknesses). I think it's better off for SCE, in its current market position, to get a global vision set for many topics. And to do so, you have to change how things were handled at SCEE/SCEA/SCEI.

11. patsu

Legend

Yeah... I reckon this is one of the "spill-over" changes from the big re-org last month where they promoted Kaz. Wondering what they are up to now with all the $$$ saved from the exercise.

12. Kittonwy

Regular

Engineers are good at engineering, not necessarily management.

13. Entropy

Veteran

Then again management that neither understands the products and their development requirements nor how they relate to the needs of the customers, and has problems relating to its workforce is not necessarily a recipy for success either.

14. obonicus

Veteran

Sure. How does this relate to Sony?

15. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Why should consumers relate to the CEO of SCEE?

I dont think your average consumer knows (or cares) who is the CEO of the console manufacturer your buying your crap from..

16. Crossbar

Veteran

In principle I agree with you, but they made a shitload of presentations by him available on PSN a year ago or so, obviously that was aimed at the consumers.

Don´t know why they couldn´t find a better person for the presentations. Maybe they thought he was the best person to fill Phil Harrisons place.

17. patsu

Legend

Hah, where can I find those Reeves videos on the net ? A charismatic CEO may boost a company's public image. Otherwise, most CEOs remain behind the scene.

18. BadTB25

Veteran

Yup...see Steve Jobs.

19. Crossbar

Veteran

The presentations I was thinking about was from the London Playstation Day last may I think. They are no longer available on PSN, but the press conference from the 2008 Game Convention in Leipzig is still available, and it is also a pretty good illustration of my impression of him. I just rewatched it and I was fearing David Reeves was about to self combust while starting off the press conference with a long quote by Goethe.

20. Entropy

Veteran

Well, how did the post I responded to relate to Sony?
    It was a remark about a general management problem. A thorny one at that.

However, the current head of Sony is rumoured to have ruffled the feathers/sharply decreased morale of the Sony staff that is directly involved with engineering, showing no appreciation for their prowess and achievements profitable and not. This data is worth what you paid for it - I have no affilitation with Sony in any way. I am, however, affiliated with a person doing post-doctorate research on japanese corporate organisation.

Sony used to be an engineering powerhouse, and attracted employees on those grounds. Engineers are people. They can enjoy their work. They can have visions and dream up Cool Stuff, and occasionally turn these into reality, or even products. They take pride in these creations. Being told that they are no longer allowed this, and that their previous creations were pointless, perhaps even embarrassing since they didn't produce profit for the company is not likely to be taken well.

#20 Entropy, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009