No European PS3 launch until March

MrWibble

Regular
Haven't seen this posted - press release went out a while ago...

"London, Wednesday 6 September 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that it would revise the launch date of its PLAYSTATION® 3 computer entertainment system in the PAL territories of Europe, Russia, Middle East, Africa and Australasia from 17th November 2006, as previously announced to March 2007.

Launch dates for Japan and North America will remain the same, which are November 11th and November 17th respectively."

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/Detail.asp? ReleaseID=4268&NewsAreaID=2

Whoopidee do-dah!

Well, this ought to make deadmeat at least a happy man... PC-Engine oughta get a kick out of it too. :p

Meh!

*Edit
....Of course, not having to spend a ton of dough on another piece of hardware means I can instead invest more money on Wii games instead. That's a positive, sort of. :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
The honest truth is, MS probably won't make great inroads in EU, but this is a great boost to have another holiday without competition. A strategic pricedrop for EU is in order I think, PS2 dropped 100quid after only a year, would be a bold but ultimately rewarding move for MS imo.

Some might even say this is a sign of lower than expected launch quantities...:devilish:

Wow.
Half the market. In one sentence.

The Wii is going to sell like hot cakes here.

[edit]

Actually, you guys in the US/Japan, instead of putting machines up on ebay, send them down under / europe. People will pay *huge* amounts, I guarantee. $3000+ probably isn't out of the question

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this ought to make deadmeat at least a happy man... PC-Engine oughta get a kick out of it too. :p

Meh!

*Edit
....Of course, not having to spend a ton of dough on another piece of hardware means I can instead invest more money on Wii games instead. That's a positive, sort of. :devilish:

admit it , you are crying now dont ya ... :smile:

i know I am, damn... my ebay profit is gone

Sucks for Europe. Look at the bright side, as usual, we'll get to deal with all the first gen issues and you guys get a working machine!!!

This is just what I was arguing with Badboy about in another thread. I didn't think sony would have enough blue laser diodes to make anythign close to the launch numbers they have stated. Anyway bad news for anyone in europe, I had a feeling they wouldn't really handle a world wide launch and europe always gets the shaft.

I'm certain most large publishers already knew this was happening.

WHAT THE HECK ?!?!??!

Sony just made all people who pre-ordered through shops sign a BRAND NEW, EFFECTIVE September 01, 2006 pre-order sheet that SAID November 17, 2006.

it's quite sad actually. I believe Europe is Sony's biggest market, still they show no respect for this region because they strongly believe they are going to win there by default, no matter what happens.

MS had at least the decency to paper launch in Europe last year, even though their manufacturing didn't go to plan either.

I suppose I'm annoyed, but given how Europe inevitably gets shafted every time anyway, it's not actually that surprising, even if it's a bit late in the day to hear about it.

I guess I'll see what happens with the US and JP launches - if they go well and machines aren't impossible to get, I'll consider picking up an import. I'll probably wait though - assuming the Nintendo thingy is out (I still can't bring myself to say its name) I might pick up one of those to entertain myself in the mean time.

Partly I'm kind of glad they're not trying to spread their units thinly across all territories just for the sake of a world-wide launch - massive shortages in all territories is probably going to be worse than a good launch in two and risking a few people changing their minds while waiting in the other - but I'm also aware that they already missed launch once, so this amounts to almost a years delay for Europe.

As a developer it means I might now have to worry about a title I'm working on being a launch title - not sure if that's good or bad! :)

Back