Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

310W just seems crazy high, is this thing on 28nm still?
The original PS4's overall max was 250W.
Some items like the extra USB port and some extra power supply margin could add some, but it does seem higher than various products like Polaris and the 16nm x86 APU in the Xbox One S would indicate as necessary.

Not likely, 310w is "up to" which could indicate a number of things. Iirc the original Ps4 was "up to" 250w but only really consumed 150w (or so) playing games.

Ok, so UHD spec allows for discs in three sizes: 50GB with 82 Mbit/s, 66GB with 108 Mbit/s, and 100GB with 128 Mbit/s, right? The BD player in the PS4 Pro is 6x, so if Sony does eventually write the software, I think 6x max is 200 Mbit/s? So should be able to support it iirc - the 100GB disc doesn't require any different optics either I think.

So perhaps, they may still support it later but aren't ready to commit to it just yet? (software not ready / not certain streaming will kill it before it starts?)

We'll see.

I am interested in that VR will indeed be able to benefit from the PS4 Pro (haven't seen the presentation yet, but saw something was demoed). So it is definitely on my radar. And a 4k TV ... hmm. Playstation VR first, then if I like VR, PS4 Pro next, and if not, PS4 Pro when I go 4K, we'll see.

Also interesting, because this move now means we may see yearly or bi-yearly updates to the PS4 specs, and that software will now likely stay compatible in future.

Will be interesting to see if Microsoft did it right (they certainly did some things right) or if it will be too late.
Some of the additional bitrate for UHD comes from linear density increase (33/25) and it requires a different DSP directly on the drive controller (iMLSE correction, which is awesome). If they planned to eventually support UHD it would have to be planned in advance.

Is just slightly bigger than the OG PS4, but that 310W consumption... AMD?? :(

Yeah ~20% larger with ~50-100% more power consumption. It's not going to be particularly quiet. I'm really curious as to where the SOC is going to be fabbed. Did Sony pay extra to have the Polaris cores be able to be fabbed at TSMC or did they just go with GlobalFoundaries as it was already designed for that?

Regards,
SB

Yeah ~20% larger with ~100% more power consumption. It's not going to be particularly quiet. I'm really curious as to where it's going to be manufactured. Did Sony pay extra to have the Polaris cores be able to be fabbed at TSMC or did they just go with GlobalFoundaries as it was already designed for that?

The max power spec is based on the power supply, which was initially 250W for the PS4 at launch.

I speculated that the Neo SOC should have been able to get into the same range as Orbis, which 50W even with extra margin seems too big to consider approximate.
There are some additional consumers in the console that might need to be accounted for.

The max power spec is based on the power supply, which was initially 250W for the PS4 at launch.

I speculated that the Neo SOC should have been able to get into the same range as Orbis, which 50W even with extra margin seems too big to consider approximate.
There are some additional consumers in the console that might need to be accounted for.

Yeah, after looking at it again I edited my post for a more realistic ~50-100% more, which is still potentially on the high side. I had speculated previously that it would have been similar to the original launch power consumption of the PS4. So originally I was thinking somewhere in the 150-160 watt power range. But that up to 310w is a significant bump from PS4 launch unit (which some in the thread have said was "up to 250w").

Regards,
SB

Is just slightly bigger than the OG PS4, but that 310W consumption... AMD?? :(

The original PS4's overall max was 250W.
Some items like the extra USB port and some extra power supply margin could add some, but it does seem higher than various products like Polaris and the 16nm x86 APU in the Xbox One S would indicate as necessary.

It's odd, like the size and weight is 50% more but the power nearly double (slim)!?

Max consumption is often based on the power supply specs. I said previously the different connector means they have above 250W limit of the IEC connector. This 310W would be the power supply specs, not the actual gaming consumption. So 180W is still a reasonable expectation.

At least one longtime Playstation supporter was not happy with the PS meeting...was pretty shocked at the harshness of this tweet on my timeline coming from him (reality pales on Neogaf)

MY7CafP.png

Ouch. Is the conference being received that poorly in general? I haven't read that much Neogaf.

At least one longtime Playstation supporter was not happy with the PS meeting...was pretty shocked at the harshness of this tweet on my timeline coming from him (reality pales on Neogaf)

MY7CafP.png

Ouch.

Sony have the slim at a like for like price and the Pro @ $100 more for more than double the power...they are not losing market share

Back