Sony Playstation Meeting September 7 2016 [PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro, Rumors, Speculations, and News]

^^ Foxconn leaker lied big time. Barely taller than PS4 and only 7lbs.
Basing the entire increase TF idea around his rumour is not his fault. It's not like he could pull out a weight scale and weigh it.
Anyway, it was silly of anyone to believe this to be true when the developers were already handing out the real numbers.

Compatibility may be too high a price to pay when Sony are architecting PS5. I wouldn't assume anything, and while I would like to be able to play my PS4/Pro games on PS5 (without some emulation system to support) I wouldn't want Sony to have to make a poor choice of hardware in PS5 for that to happen.
I don't disagree much with what you say, I just think that they aren't talking about anything but ps4/pro gen, so I wouldn't take that snippet as anything much at mo, was just an interesting comment

Specs

Crxx0qLXgAQRUgE.jpg:large

The leaks were the leaks :)

Edit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275157

Also usb port in the back for those who asked for it
What does Operating Environment Temperature mean if you operate outside those bounds? I usually don't pay attention to that spec, do we have those for the other consoles?

Is just slightly bigger than the OG PS4, but that 310W consumption... AMD?? :(

For me the most intriguing part was the HDR update via firmware.

For most of the people this will mean zero. They have non HDR 1080p TVs, so the upgrade means nothing.

But for those who own a 4K HDR TV this can be good. They can keep their console and take advantage of the HDR part, even if at 1080p.

The question is: those are the people that are the most potential candidates to buy the NEO, right?

So, isn´t this "upgrade" somewhat bad for neo sales? At least on the 4K Tv Market?

And any news on 4K BD support? Or was this only limited by the HDMI output on current consoles?

Cerny is confirming my theory that there still will be generations with significant leaps but maybe with an iterative console in between.

PS4
PS4 Pro
PS5
PS5 Pro
the trouble with that is ps4 could last 6 years, ps4 pro only 3 if you don't want to upgrade.
(using 3year cycle as example)

I think i'll wait for the pro till Horizon, till then we'll have a pretty clear picture of how it works (or doesn't). Although, a Bloodborne patch might win me over, if it at least solves the frame pacing and aliasing problems.

I just can't get over how ugly it is... ugh.

I haven't decided whether to get this or not. If there isn't framerate improvement in multiplayer games like BF1, I'll skip it. I don't think they made a very strong case for a non-owner of a 4K TV to get this.

Last edited:
Cerny is confirming my theory that there still will be generations with significant leaps but maybe with an iterative console in between.

PS4
PS4 Pro
PS5
PS5 Pro

More that that, it implies that PS5 might be a completely different and incompatible hardware configuration. IE - not x86 and/or not an AMD GPU. And that might even include it basically just being a bump versus what people consider a full generation difference. In other words, if PS5 ends up being basically similar in capabilities to an Xbox console launching in the same time frame, but Sony go with a completely different and incompatible hardware design while Microsoft goes with a backwards/forwards compatible design then it's a generational leap only in terms of architecture.

In other words, if by iterating, one design ends up at a similar performance profile to a design that ditches compatibility with the previous generation then keeping compatibility would seem the better choice. It only makes sense, IMO, if there's a large enough performance gap to warrant ditching compatibility.

It'd certainly be a good way to make some of their userbase buy the same game twice, similar to Last of Us PS3 and then Last of Us PS4, for example. Rather than being able to just run your existing copy with better graphics, like Unchartered 4.

Or it could be that they see the current performance difference between AMD GPUs and Nvidia GPUs and they are considering switching to Nvidia GPUs for PS5 assuming that the perf/watt difference will continue. And they view that as being worth it to make their users have to rebuy everything and/or subscribe to a streaming game service like PS Now.

Regards,
SB

Ok, so UHD spec allows for discs in three sizes: 50GB with 82 Mbit/s, 66GB with 108 Mbit/s, and 100GB with 128 Mbit/s, right? The BD player in the PS4 Pro is 6x, so if Sony does eventually write the software, I think 6x max is 200 Mbit/s? So should be able to support it iirc - the 100GB disc doesn't require any different optics either I think.

So perhaps, they may still support it later but aren't ready to commit to it just yet? (software not ready / not certain streaming will kill it before it starts?)

We'll see.

I am interested in that VR will indeed be able to benefit from the PS4 Pro (haven't seen the presentation yet, but saw something was demoed). So it is definitely on my radar. And a 4k TV ... hmm. Playstation VR first, then if I like VR, PS4 Pro next, and if not, PS4 Pro when I go 4K, we'll see.

Also interesting, because this move now means we may see yearly or bi-yearly updates to the PS4 specs, and that software will now likely stay compatible in future.

Will be interesting to see if Microsoft did it right (they certainly did some things right) or if it will be too late.

For me the most intriguing part was the HDR update via firmware.

For most of the people this will mean zero. They have non HDR 1080p TVs, so the upgrade means nothing.

But for those who own a 4K HDR TV this can be good. They can keep their console and take advantage of the HDR part, even if at 1080p.

The question is: those are the people that are the most potential candidates to buy the NEO, right?

So, isn´t this "upgrade" somewhat bad for neo sales? At least on the 4K Tv Market?

And any news on 4K BD support? Or was this only limited by the HDMI output on current consoles?
HDR and 4K means nothing to them if this is what you mean but PS4 pro will of course bring improvements even if you "only" own HDTV. They've been clear on this.

Back