Star Wars Battlefront [PS4, XO]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
The SW 1313 thing should be revived, even if just spiritually. Public response was just so strong, the IP is already a guaranteed seller, and so on.

Battlefield games are first and foremost multiplayer.
Surely the majority of PS2 owning BF fans weren't interested in multiplayer because it wasn't a widely supported feature on that console?

I'm sure we'll get more SP Star Wars games.
But not Battlefronts.
Having bots is already a huge win.
This is true. Good bot execution and coop versus bot are a significant plus. But without a campaign or Galactic Battle mode to structure it, arbitrary bot matches seems a little...flimsy.

Last edited:
Dev diary:

Dat terrain:

mm5Swfs.png

It would probably be an uber scripted linear campaign. No thanks.
They made mention of photogammetry *sp?
Can anyone elaborate further on it? From the sounds of it, the biggest advantage here is that DICE can just snap photos and dump it in game?

I'm sure it's a bit more complicated? Artists have been taking real pictures to make textures since we moved from gourad and phong shading.

Can anyone elaborate further on it? From the sounds of it, the biggest advantage here is that DICE can just snap photos and dump it in game?

Photogrammetry means scanning. They can just capture everything and will immediately get perfect proportion references instead of measuring every tiny piece manually or having to match lots of reference photos painstakingly. Will also acquire textures. But it's not such a straight pipeline ;)

The UE4 Kite video is a good start if you're interested, although they've mostly dealt with rocks and such for environment stuff. But DICE can also scan all the original costumes and maquettes and even the locations.
Like, get the subtle asymmetry of the original stormtrooper helmet. Or Nien Numb's face.

Surely the majority of PS2 owning BF fans weren't interested in multiplayer because it wasn't a widely supported feature on that console?

But not Battlefronts.
This is true. Good bot execution and coop versus bot are a significant plus. But without a campaign or Galactic Battle mode to structure it, arbitrary bot matches seems a little...flimsy.
Didn't the campaign in previous Battlefront games consist of just bot matches with goals and some story tidbits sprinkled on top?

but IMO it's poor form to carry on the sequential numbering yet break the brand style. Typically, reboots as Scofield calls it drop the numbering to show they aren't part of the same series and will differ more significantly than a sequential progression of the style. Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate 2. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for a completely different game in the same franchise.

But Shifty, that's exactly why it's titled only Battlefront rather than Battlefront 3. They have dropped the sequential numbering.

I'm not saying the game shouldn't be as it is. Just why associate it with a game with a diffrent style? The only reason is to cash in on existing good will to defend PR, AFAICS. Maybe the original relaunch was a truend now it's switched, but IMO it's poor vam to carry on the sequential numbering yet break the brand style. Typically, reboots as Scofield calls it drop the numbering to show they aren't part of the same series and will differ more significantly than a sequential progression of the style. Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate 2. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for a completely different game in the same franchise.

SW:KOTR for one style of game, with sequel numbered 2. SW:BF was a different game in the franchise. And it's not like SW hasn't had a gazillion originally titled spin-offs already to set precedent for a new game style in the same universe.

As for the game, I'm actually seeing parallels with other games I played like MAG and Starhawk (somewhat frenetic combat), and none was as fun as SWBF, which makes me wonder what it was about SWBF that particularly made it entertaining? Maybe it was just the fact I didn't play online and the bot experience was more casual?

I wasn't expecting DICE to carry on sequentially with BF but at this point my most ignorant opinion is that although having skipped an entire generation and having such a veteran to hardcore dev studio...this is really "Super Battlefront" instead of "Battlefront 64"

what dangers? the Jedi and Sith can fight safely on top of molten lava. They are okay to drop from crazy high or after crushed by stuff.

the sword battle also more like sword-play where they keep hitting each other swords and very-very rarely using their other body parts. The force telekinetic power also inconsistently used.

but for me those are the Jedi's way. Always fight in fair fights.

back to battlefront.
i just realized that no screenshot or videos has shown destriction. Did i miss something? or it really does not have destruction. If they have destruction, i hope its unlike BF3 and 4's totally limited destruction and more like BFBC of destruction everywhere.

cutting those trees with explosives or swords should be fun (when it crushes enemy :D)

This is the problem with Star Wars fans...they watch the movies and only think of Jedi/Sith as avatars or a basis for a videogame.

Great thing I always disliked FPSs one man army mentality until playing the brilliant and somewhat invisible Republic Commando.

I referenced non-force users film scenes but your claim that there wasn't dangers in RotS Jedi/Sith duel completely ignores as a viewer and fan that force using Jedi/Sith do not equal everyone else.

They can super dash, jump, use the levitation of objects depending on the scripted scenes and yes cast aside old age appearances to single handedly evade and survive that close to magma, not taking into account the technology is rather ancient in the films so those magma surfing devices had some kind of forcefield that wasn't needed to be mentioned but implied.

Sith fight to kill, destroy and also show off or test their skills (see how Darth Maul who did actually win his duel but lost due to arrogance a common plot device of villains)

Jedi fight to protect and defend (using Yodas EsB words) never to attack or hurt.

thats why games like The Force Unleashed completely screwed up the fans into thinking there was no real consequence for a Jedi to break rules and for a selfish force user who mass murdered to turn into a good person just because of poor/crap writting. casting Sith Lighting which hurts and kills... (a destructive ability) or force choke are just evil. But not gonna debate jedi videogames as thats been screwed up and bound to repeat...i only argued for a non-force users fps...maybe well get a Republic Commando reboot...someday.

Even with perfect photogrammetry scan you get a very high res scan of object with color texture.
This means you need to work with other programs to get usable UV, make albedo, normal, specular roughness, occlusion etc maps, also the game usable objects / LoDs. (rare game needs messy 10-100M polygon objects.)

Photogrammetry should also be an excellent tool for things like creating brushes for Z-brush and in general help to create the right look for modeled objects and textures.

Frostbite does use virtual texture splatting for terrain rendering, photogrammetry should be close to perfect method to acquire those 'splats' or stamps used.

I have some slightly decimated (reduced polycount) objects at sketchfab, if you want to see the quality that photoscan outputs. (none has been re-touched with other programs.)
https://sketchfab.com/pottuvoi/models

Last edited:
Thanks jlippo, that actually looks really good. Promising technology! I still think this will be the future for a lot of asset generation.

By the way, there are also some tutorials using free software out there it seems:

Last edited:
When you make photos to get textures in real life settings: how do you get rid of shadows that are baked into the textures?

It seems to me that the results heavily depend on the time of day and/or if it is cloudy etc etc...so there must be a technique to get rid of the shadows?!

When you make photos to get textures in real life settings: how do you get rid of shadows that are baked into the textures?

It seems to me that the results heavily depend on the time of day and/or if it is cloudy etc etc...so there must be a technique to get rid of the shadows?!

There are some developments here to create actual procedural tools for that, but it's also always possible to paint the lighting out by hand.

Also, anything that's below a reasonable size can be scanned in a studio, with controlled and even lighting conditions.

The SW 1313 thing should be revived, even if just spiritually. Public response was just so strong, the IP is already a guaranteed seller, and so on.

Isn't Visceral doing just that?
They got Uncharted's Amy Hennig doing the script for their "unanounced" game, and the writing of Uncharted seems to me like a good fit for the gameplay they presented in the trailers (both 3rd-person platformers, both had tongue-in-cheek characters, etc.).

123Dcatch from autodesk is free photogrametry that do work super easy. Just take photo from various angels (more angle the better) and voila, 3D model with photo texture

Back