Star Wars: Squadrons (EA) [XO, PS4, PC, VR]

Wasn't Rainbow Six able to run in backwards compatibility mode before the PS5 patch came out with an unlocked/non-vsynced framerate?

That was spitting out frames well in excess of 120hz.

Edit: yes, it was

Not sure I'm buying the idea that you can't go above 60hz in BC.

Wasn't Rainbow Six able to run in backwards compatibility mode before the PS5 patch came out with an unlocked/non-vsynced framerate?

That was spitting out frames well in excess of 120hz.

Edit: yes, it was

I think that's internal framerate. The final output is only 60hz. You could always do that in that game.

By the way this game should be a great way to truely benchmark the consoles in gameplay.

I think that's internal framerate. The final output is only 60hz. You could always do that in that game.

By the way this game should be a great way to truely benchmark the consoles in gameplay.

I think the XOX / XSX run the game at 4k and the Pro / PS5 run it at 1440p. Shame you can't set the resolution for it.

So you think this is unlocking internally at 120hz and only displaying half of the frames? Not sure I understand why that means the PlayStation can't spit out 120hz. Something to do with HDMI spec?

This stems from PS4/Pro not ever officially supporting higher frame rates above 60Hz. How true it is I don't know but why else would Squadrons support 120hz on Xbox and only 60hz on PlayStation?

This stems from PS4/Pro not ever officially supporting higher frame rates above 60Hz. How true it is I don't know but why else would Squadrons support 120hz on Xbox and only 60hz on PlayStation?

Not sure. I see a PS4 game running in BC at higher than 60hz and wonder what prevents that from displaying those frames. I can only think of HDMI spec of the PS4, but really, I have no idea. That spec shouldn't apply to PS5, so maybe it's limited in the API somehow. Surely that'd be an easy fix with it being "PS5 Aware"? Just remove the software limitation.

Edit: I realise I am likely oversimplifying.

Not sure. I see a PS4 game running in BC at higher than 60hz and wonder what prevents that from displaying those frames. I can only think of HDMI spec of the PS4, but really, I have no idea. That spec shouldn't apply to PS5, so maybe it's limited in the API somehow. Surely that'd be an easy fix with it being "PS5 Aware"? Just remove the software limitation.
My assumption was that this was a PS4/Pro hardware limitation (Pro only supports HDMI 2.0b) and because those platforms did not support 120Hz, PS5's compatibility layer running PS4 games does not either.

My assumption was that this was a PS4/Pro hardware limitation (Pro only supports HDMI 2.0b) and because those platforms did not support 120Hz, PS5's compatibility layer running PS4 games does not either.

I believe 2.0b allows for 120hz but may be resolution limited. So there's no limit with the HDMI spec and the hardware can internally render at higher than 60hz. So it must presumably be a API requirement to have a max 60hz for PS4 games.

I guess that's not an easy fix for PS5 running BC even in "PS5 Aware" mode. Bit of a shame.

PS4 does support 1080p 120hz (all 60fps / 120fps PSVR games are outputting at 1080p 120hz on PS4 / Pro), but of course not 4K 120hz.

Enabling 120Hz on Xbox Series X|S is a minor patch, but enabling it on PS5 requires a full native port due to how backwards compatibility is implemented on the console, and unfortunately wasn’t possible due to our focus elsewhere,” explains Psyonix in a statement to Eurogamer.

Same "problem"?

I believe 2.0b allows for 120hz but may be resolution limited.

The HDMI 2.0b protocol does not support 120Hz but the hardware may. In a previous job we did a lot of work jerry rigging HDMI interfaces and cables for broarder networking needs. Many HDMI controllers are quite flexible and allow you bypass the HDMI software/firmware protocols and access the full bandwidth of what the interface and cable support. If you can do this end-to-end, you can repurpose the ~18Gbps bandwidth for 1080p 120Hz instead of the 4K 60hz.

This requires custom firmware and I see why Sony wouldn't want to do this, particularly if they wanted to leverage their component stock with those for their TVs and AV receivers.

PS4 does support 1080p 120hz (all 60fps / 120fps PSVR games are outputting at 1080p 120hz on PS4 / Pro), but of course not 4K 120hz.
Only to Sony's PSVR breakout box, not to TVs. Again, this is part of the end-to-end aspect.

The HDMI 2.0b protocol does not support 120Hz but the hardware may. In a previous job we did a lot of work jerry rigging HDMI interfaces and cables for broarder networking needs. Many HDMI controllers are quite flexible and allow you bypass the HDMI software/firmware protocols and access the full bandwidth of what the interface and cable support. If you can do this end-to-end, you can repurpose the ~18Gbps bandwidth for 1080p 120Hz instead of the 4K 60hz.

I don't seem to have any problem sending 1080p120Hz through a HDMI 2 port in a PC (AFAIR I tried it on my C9 and it just worked). On what kind of sources were you having problems with this?
There's also a bunch of high refresh rate 1080p/1440p monitors using HDMI as input too.

I don't seem to have any problem sending 1080p120Hz through a HDMI 2 port in a PC (AFAIR I tried it on my C9 and it just worked). On what kind of sources were you having problems with this?
There's also a bunch of high refresh rate 1080p/1440p monitors using HDMI as input too.
A lot of TVs support combinations of resolution and framerate outside of the HDMI standard. You won't find 1440p in the HDMI standard yet it's a standard resolution for computers. When you connect any device to a HDMI-supporting TV or monitor, the display will populate an array of resolutions, bitdepths and frame rates and send it to the connected device, and do likewise for supported audio and passthrough audio formats.

If I want 120hz on p.c I have to use displayport, hdmi is limited to 100hz on my monitor plus no g-sync support on hdmi

If I want 120hz on p.c I have to use displayport, hdmi is limited to 100hz on my monitor plus no g-sync support on hdmi
A standard of VRR is supported in HDMI 2.1 but it still relies on support at either end. HDMI is a bit of a mess because many vendors have supported this but not that. While the feature standards remain, not all hardware supports all features (e.g. not all TVs with HDMI 2.1 support VRR, or only limited VRR) and some devices that don't have higher-version interfaces still support some higher-version features albeit sometimes in a compromised form.

Back