Star Wars: Squadrons (EA) [XO, PS4, PC, VR]

Strange as could have even done 1080p120 for PS5.
Only thing I can think off is that it really needs VRR for it to be playable.
There are very few TVs that actually support VRR@ 4K between 60 and 120.

The LG CX supports 40-120 4K VRR, but outside of that extremely popular consumer set, I'm not sure what others do.

Oh, yeah, I see what you're saying. They should be able to make other improvements over the 4Pro settings when on the PS5. How extensive is this "lighting improvements" they mentioned? At least its dynamic resolution, so it should be maxing out at 4K.

Btw, all current consoles use dynamic reconstruction it seems.

OneX - max 4K
4Pro - max 1800p
OneS - max 1080p (rare instances of 720p)
PS4 - 1080p (most of the time)

Don't know about the enhanced lighting compared to PC settings.

There are very few TVs that actually support VRR@ 4K between 60 and 120.
Yet that's what XSX supports in this game.
Maybe due to VRR they felt it was worth supporting in XSX|S.

I personally can't think of any other reason PS5 never got it. Although wouldn't be surprised if it got it in a future patch.

Yet that's what XSX supports in this game..
Of course, it's not within EA's control what TV the customer has. If somebody buys the game hoping for a solid 85fps VSS output but there TV can't do it, it's not their problem.

Reactions: Jay
Of course, it's not within EA's control what TV the customer has. If somebody buys the game hoping for a solid 85fps VSS output but there TV can't do it, it's not their problem.
Yea, but the difference is the PS5 doesn't support VRR yet.

If the game is running at 116fps it would then it would be a bad experience on a 120 display. Maybe really bad micro stutter?

Not saying it makes perfect sence, but only one that makes any to me so far.

If the game is running at 116fps it would then it would be a bad experience on a 120 display. Maybe really bad micro stutter?

3 % of all frames will take 16.6 ms instead of 8.3 ms. Very unclear if you will actually notice it.

Yea, but the difference is the PS5 doesn't support VRR yet.
Nor 8K. If the retail box PS5 states supports 8K and VRR (which DF says it does) and those features not there in a launch day patch, Sony will be an easy target for UK regulators.

VRR might be supported more transparently (without a UI option to select it) but we know 8K was missing on DF's unit. But, it could be pre-release firmware.

Nor 8K. If the retail box PS5 states supports 8K and VRR (which DF says it does) and those features not there in a launch day patch, Sony will be an easy target for UK regulators.

VRR might be supported more transparently (without a UI option to select it) but we know 8K was missing on DF's unit. But, it could be pre-release firmware.

Maybe it's a matter of the cable... :runaway:

And I'll show myself out, even though that was an obvious joke.

Strange as could have even done 1080p120 for PS5.
Only thing I can think off is that it really needs VRR for it to be playable.

Nice to see XSS seemingly holding its own (relatively)
Wonder what file sizes are.
The quality mode on XSX|S sounds like mainly the lighting also, so I wouldn't say not a lot of work done on PS5 in comparison, its really just missing 120fps mode from what I can tell so far
Does the Ps4 BC support 120hz output? (Outside PsVR, in which native 120fps mode would be awesome.)
Currently it does sound that they didn't really touch the Ps4 version to change things for ps5.

I wonder if Sony has simple test on Ps4 code to find out what machine is running it or is it just few rounds of π on CPU and select from there..;)

So the patch is out or at least a patch is out. It doesn't seem to be using the Gen9Aware XDK. The game still shows as XboxOne/XDK in File Info, so on Series X|S it's running through Backwards Compatibility.

ConsoleType: XboxOne
AppModel: XDK
Gen: Durango​

Full Patch Notes @ https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/news/update-3-0-release-notes
  • Added next gen improvements
    • The game now supports up to 120FPS and up to 4K on Xbox Series X|S
      • Added an option for players on the Xbox Series X|S to prioritize enhanced visuals or enhanced performance
    • Improved visual quality and lighting on PS5
    • Variable frame rate support added for TVs and monitors that allow it
  • Improved support for matchmaking between players with highly divergent load times
    • Players who are not finished loading when the match begins will now have an additional window of time to join the match-in-progress rather than timing out on start

Is that VRR support for PS5? Does the game to do it on PS5 or did the latest fw add support for it to?

Is that VRR support for PS5? Does the game to do it on PS5 or did the latest fw add support for it to?
That would be some exceptional coding from EA, PS5 doesn't support VRR yet. ;)

Which made me wonder how they managed this, if its running in BC mode.

Yeah, I wonder how they're doing some things given they're not using Gen9Aware on Xbox or newer PS5 apis. Maybe they have a semi-dynamic system that does a bit of a benchmark up front to determine exactly what to enable or disable? Clever developers will find a way, given the time. If it was truly dynamic then patches wouldn't be needed now.

Yeah, I wonder how they're doing some things given they're not using Gen9Aware on Xbox or newer PS5 apis. Maybe they have a semi-dynamic system that does a bit of a benchmark up front to determine exactly what to enable or disable? Clever developers will find a way, given the time. If it was truly dynamic then patches wouldn't be needed now.
I did wonder if it was a typo/mistake.

Is 4pro limited to max 60fps otherwise I can't see why they wouldn't be able to do 120 if their able to work out it's running on PS5 for lighting.

Anybody actually play this using a Thrustmaster T.flight HOTAS One on Xbox Series X or One X? Contemplating getting the controller just for this game now that I'm full in Star Wars after finishing Jedi Fallen Order. Need my Star Wars fix.

Tommy McClain

Back