DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

lol i though it was in-game graphic that have realistic graphic but it severely need anti aliasing. Because there are lots of aliasing. Then i remembered that my Chrome is broken (it always display video full of aliasing).

I agree! But in this sense, most driving games are a reasonable approximation...project gotham is about the same as forza when comparing to real life imo.
On a scale of 1 to 10 for realism, maybe Project Gotham is a 3 and Forza is a 5, but Forza would still be a significantly different experience, 66% more realistic than PG. Maybe not - I can't really talk about those particular games as I've very limited experience. But something like Ridge Racer or NFS versus Gran Turismo, GT is a completely different style of a racing game. It requires a constant awareness of what the car is doing, just as you would a real car, even if the feedback and visceral experience is very different. In an arcade racer, you don't care one jot what the tires are doing or where the weight of the car is. For people who like racing sims, they're wanting that sense of responding to the car's physical presence, and judge the quality of the game as a sim based on that, made all the better when using a FF wheel.

There's a clear distinction though, and one that can't see all racing games clumped together. If one can't tell much difference between them, one should probably stick to real-world driving. ;)

Well, this game turned out too good to miss out on free stuff for so I have caved in and preordered the upgrade.

for £35 you cannot really grumble, I just hope the gameplay does the graphics justice.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for realism, maybe Project Gotham is a 3 and Forza is a 5, but Forza would still be a significantly different experience, 66% more realistic than PG. Maybe not - I can't really talk about those particular games as I've very limited experience. But something like Ridge Racer or NFS versus Gran Turismo, GT is a completely different style of a racing game. It requires a constant awareness of what the car is doing, just as you would a real car, even if the feedback and visceral experience is very different. In an arcade racer, you don't care one jot what the tires are doing or where the weight of the car is. For people who like racing sims, they're wanting that sense of responding to the car's physical presence, and judge the quality of the game as a sim based on that, made all the better when using a FF wheel. There's a clear distinction though, and one that can't see all racing games clumped together. If one can't tell much difference between them, one should probably stick to real-world driving. ;)

I would put it this way: on a real life scale of 1 - 100, PGR is a 3 and Forza is a 5...than you are right, and I am right :D

The lighting really adds so much depth to the scene and at the same time makes my eyes so comfortable, I feel like a VR version should really be considered at this point.
DriveClub-AMG-GT.jpg

Lyseboth footage looks downsampled..lol /jk
Yeah I see, hope that's included in one of these 5 different tracks of Norway locale. Must be damn cold out there huh:)?

Hehe, it does indeed look like its down sampled ;-) (embedded YT videos always plays at 360/480p on my iPad, looks way better in the YT app at 720p) and obviously some fidelity is lost to YT compression.
As for the Lysebotn road being one of the 5 Norway tracks, we should be so lucky :) (if it somehow is included, I will crown this as the most awesome game of all time ;))
Nope, it was a warm sunny day in late May (15-20c), and I was driving with the roof down (z4 roadster), a perfect day for a road trip :)

lol i though it was in-game graphic that have realistic graphic but it severely need anti aliasing. Because there are lots of aliasing. Then i remembered that my Chrome is broken (it always display video full of aliasing).
Hehe, maybe it's time to upgrade my old GoPro to the new 4k version ;)

That`s a cool place to drive. I`d love to push my Megane up there. But I guess Driveclub is more safe ,though it only has the Clio I think.

I would put it this way: on a real life scale of 1 - 100, PGR is a 3 and Forza is a 5...than you are right, and I am right :D

What nonsense. I've driven on the Nurburgring in game and in reality, and they are far closer than that.

What nonsense. I've driven on the Nurburgring in game and in reality, and they are far closer than that.

Me too! And I think it is simple not comparable. The single most important impression a game never gets right imo is the sense of speed. Every game lacks it...especially for lower speeds.

Me too! And I think it is simple not comparable. The single most important impression a game never gets right imo is the sense of speed. Every game lacks it...especially for lower speeds.
I guess it depends on how you look at it; insofar as a wheel and a screen can show the experience, we're not that far off. If you watch a dashcam video of Nurburgring, it also looks really slow.

That seems to be inevitable with hyperrealistic driving.

...RalliSport Challenge manages to get somewhat in the "subtle controls" realm while maintaining a very arcade sense of speed, but it's still more or less a game about rocket sleds.

I've found two important differences, and they're probably close to what you experience as well.

1. You don't feel the G-forces. When going downhill and then up again, in that transition you can't breathe for a second. Very powerful experience. And not easily simulated, though of course it can and has been done.

2. You don't see 3D. That said, if you have a game that does support 3D, it does really add to the experience. And now with the VR headsets, this is going to be one difference that will disappear as well.

But there is a huge list of things that are actually the same. Your numbers would suggest that there is only 5% overlap between a game and reality, but that suggests you weigh G-forces as 90% of the driving experience. You may well do so, but I certainly don't. ;)

Whoa, super low score there for realism guys.
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/t...-ring-record-vs-Forza-5-video-comparison.aspx

^^^ This guy basically clocks the same time on NBR in real life and in-game with nearly identical cars. There is a youtube of him completing NBR and he mentions how close Turn10 got it right. We're OT, but if we're talking SimCade- I'd like that they get the cars right, the tracks don't matter so much, nor should the game take crashing and off-road too seriously

^^^ This guy basically clocks the same time on NBR in real life and in-game with nearly identical cars. There is a youtube of him completing NBR and he mentions how close Turn10 got it right. We're OT, but if we're talking SimCade- I'd like that they get the cars right, the tracks don't matter so much, nor should the game take crashing and off-road too seriously

If anything, this video rather shows the "inaccuracies" nicely. Assuming both videos are not altered or speed-up in any way. Technically, the game should be a lot quicker as you don't have to tackle fear in order to drive at the limit. If you've ever tracked a car or driven close to or above its limit (like you would in a game), you'd see that in a virtual game, you are likely to be a lot quicker. The fact that he isn't, shows perhaps that it isn't. He either makes up the time in real life either on the straights or the corners, but this just goes to show how inaccurate it is.

Disclaimer: No, GT isn't any better probably, so this has nothing to do with it being Forza. And yes, the video is impressive, at the very least to highlight how far racing simulators have progressed and how accurately the track is modeled.

Bah! VR is for amateurs. Only when we'll get photorealistic graphics AND gravity manipulation to simulate G-forces, I'll be sold.
Or when we will just plug in to our brain to make us think we can feel the G-force, which I think is closer than the former option.

If anything, this video rather shows the "inaccuracies" nicely. Assuming both videos are not altered or speed-up in any way. Technically, the game should be a lot quicker as you don't have to tackle fear in order to drive at the limit. If you've ever tracked a car or driven close to or above its limit (like you would in a game), you'd see that in a virtual game, you are likely to be a lot quicker. The fact that he isn't, shows perhaps that it isn't. He either makes up the time in real life either on the straights or the corners, but this just goes to show how inaccurate it is.

Disclaimer: No, GT isn't any better probably, so this has nothing to do with it being Forza. And yes, the video is impressive, at the very least to highlight how far racing simulators have progressed and how accurately the track is modeled.

He does fall behind at times, and at others pulls ahead. It's not a complete 1 to 1, his Forza time comes out a couple of seconds ahead. I get what you mean about pushing 10/10s in Forza/GT, but likely leaving some back on the track especially with elevation involved.

That being said, I've seen both videos of GT and Forza accomplishing this - it's an impressive feat where racing sims have gone.

I am not down with how Driveclub is being marketted, seems like they are being shady about what you actually get for the entrance fee:

http://psmedia.playstation.com/is/image/psmedia/driveclub-season-pass-screenshot-03-ps4-us-11sep14?$MediaCarousel_Original$

So how many cars and tracks do you get to start? How many events? On the PSN store (PS4) it doesn't even touch on what the season pass gets you at all.

Cheers

I am not down with how Driveclub is being marketted, seems like they are being shady about what you actually get for the entrance fee:

http://psmedia.playstation.com/is/image/psmedia/driveclub-season-pass-screenshot-03-ps4-us-11sep14?$MediaCarousel_Original$

So how many cars and tracks do you get to start? How many events? On the PSN store (PS4) it doesn't even touch on what the season pass gets you at all.

Cheers

IIRC There are 5 countries with differing track modes and track types. Without reversal I think it's about 20 tracks.

Back