DriveClub by Evolution Studios [PS4]

it's really disappointing that the game does not have a replay mode.
What's the reason ? they used all the ram available instead ?

Can you elucidate?

Basically my feel is that if you make a game that is light on game code you can do a lot more graphics wise. If there is no compromise at all, and what we are seeing is real gameplay and not replay mode then what they've achieved here is ground breaking in terms of whatever setup they've used. I expect a lot of other developers to follow suit in this case.

Why are you expecting sim game? They always described it as arcade game.

The most you can expect is "simcade", arcade game that conveys the feeling of each car but with stremlined gameplay elements that enable everyone to have fun time driving and crashing around. So far all signs point that it will have more sim-handling elements than for example Forza Horizon series, but still it will be far from serious sim physics.

Well that's where I disagree; but I will reserve that thought until DC is released. FH2 has pretty much all the physics optional settings running from F5; meaning sim steering, traction controls, ABS, clutch manual, damage types/cosmetic or realistic. Only missing tyre wear I believe.

You can fully tune your car with exactly the same menu you would use in F5. Meaning full control over tire pressure, toe, camber, suspension stiffness, ride height, spoiler angles, tire sizes etc. at least this is what I saw in the demo. Everything operates at 30 fps though. Driving certain cars you do get the feel of sim as long as you are on the road. Off-road, well realistically no car can off-road like that.

I've driven enough track to see what happens when you go off the road and into the field. Your car is done, it's not like we're driving on putting grade grass lol.

it's really disappointing that the game does not have a replay mode.
What's the reason ? they used all the ram available instead ?

It's been a traditional weakness with Evolution studio games. Their explanation for Motorstorm if I recall correctly was actually quite plausible, namely that they use complex particle and collision physics that wasn't 100% deterministic and hence couldn't be properly replayed.

I'm not sure however that there are that kind of physics in DriveClub, but the engine may still be based on the same logic, if you will. Or, also not unlikely, because they haven't written a replay mode forever, it was too much work to start on that from scratch now, given the time issues they already had.

Hopefully they'll answer this question at some point, would be nice. At least we live in an age now where you have the share button, but it's still a pity, especially when the game looks as good as this and it is at times almost into regular race game territory.

Well that's where I disagree; but I will reserve that thought until DC is released. FH2 has pretty much all the physics optional settings running from F5; meaning sim steering, traction controls, ABS, clutch manual, damage types/cosmetic or realistic. Only missing tyre wear I believe.

You can fully tune your car with exactly the same menu you would use in F5. Meaning full control over tire pressure, toe, camber, suspension stiffness, ride height, spoiler angles, tire sizes etc. at least this is what I saw in the demo. Everything operates at 30 fps though. Driving certain cars you do get the feel of sim as long as you are on the road. Off-road, well realistically no car can off-road like that.

I've driven enough track to see what happens when you go off the road and into the field. Your car is done, it's not like we're driving on putting grade grass lol.

If Driveclub is able to match Horizon 2's "Simarcade" feeling then i will be more than satisfied, i think the Horizon 2 Demo is spot on with the Sim vs Arcade balance.

that's even weirder because as seen in many trailers they have replay cameras, or at least they should include these views in a spectator mode for online races.

Basically my feel is that if you make a game that is light on game code you can do a lot more graphics wise. If there is no compromise at all, and what we are seeing is real gameplay and not replay mode then what they've achieved here is ground breaking in terms of whatever setup they've used. I expect a lot of other developers to follow suit in this case.
Ok, thanks. Understanding that I'm not sure I agree. The lines distinction between pure racing sim and more 'arcadey' driving has been blurring for years, particularly in respect to a logical (if not wholly realistic) physics. GTA V offers a good 'playground' in terms of experimenting with car physics and handling, i.e. weight distribution, F/R/4 drive, traction, torque, brakes, engine, materials etc. Even if not wholly realistic, there is a logical consistency about how these different aspects interact and affect each other.

But it's true we've not seen much in terms of tweaking the cars but I would be quite shocked if DriveClub didn't have a fairly deep customisation system. It would be crazy if GTA had better vehicle customization than a pure bred racer :yep2:

I dont get what people mean by racing sim. I have never played a console racing sim in my life. I mean, yeah.. there exists games that do some simulation of real world physics but nothing advanced like rFactor for example, especially in the setup department. But games like that have monster learning curves and are very unforgiving if you screw up. Thats not the point of console quasi-racing sim games like GT/Forza because they are designed to move units at retail.

I dont get what people mean by racing sim.
To me, simulator (Gran Turismo, tag line "real driving simulator") implies a game that does the best job possible in accurately recreating vehicle handling and performance in an environment.

The cars shouldn't be any more difficult to handle and control than the real vehicle (accepting a gamepad is different from a wheel, stick and pedals). If a real road car has poor traction, it's simulated version should have poor traction. The difficulty will typically come in customisation and chaining the setup. If the simulation is close to real, that'll be a hard (and prone to failure by those who don't know what they are doing) as a real car.

I dont get what people mean by racing sim. I have never played a console racing sim in my life. I mean, yeah.. there exists games that do some simulation of real world physics but nothing advanced like rFactor for example, especially in the setup department. But games like that have monster learning curves and are very unforgiving if you screw up. Thats not the point of console quasi-racing sim games like GT/Forza because they are designed to move units at retail.

This is my opinion only, on the topic of racing sim. I really love driving, and I like driving all cars, shit boxes to sports cars to SUVs to land boats. There's a personality to each car I've driven and it's like getting to know someone. Heck strolling baby carriages is a pretty unique experience from one stroller to the next too LOL.

Sim Racer tries it's best at getting that unique personality down, it's still a far cry from the feeling you get from really driving it, but the technical bits are there. Those technical bits really helps identify the personalities of the cars, and the further away you go from sim the harder it is to feel the subtle nuances that differentiates one car to the next.

It's been a traditional weakness with Evolution studio games. Their explanation for Motorstorm if I recall correctly was actually quite plausible, namely that they use complex particle and collision physics that wasn't 100% deterministic and hence couldn't be properly replayed.

I'm not sure however that there are that kind of physics in DriveClub, but the engine may still be based on the same logic, if you will. Or, also not unlikely, because they haven't written a replay mode forever, it was too much work to start on that from scratch now, given the time issues they already had.

On many occasions in live demonstrations they have paused the game then proceeded to do a walk around of the environment. So I guess replay angles wouldn't be an issue, maybe its a time/priority issue.

When they first unveiled DC a little over a year ago many people including myself were of the "eh it looks ok" opinion compared to now where its almost universal, "WOW, this is the best looking racing game I have ever seen and its not even close". What a difference an extra year of development time makes. That's my reasoning anyway as to why it doesn't have a replay mode.

On many occasions in live demonstrations they have paused the game then proceeded to do a walk around of the environment. So I guess replay angles wouldn't be an issue, maybe its a time/priority issue.

When they first unveiled DC a little over a year ago many people including myself were of the "eh it looks ok" opinion compared to now where its almost universal, "WOW, this is the best looking racing game I have ever seen and its not even close". What a difference an extra year of development time makes. That's my reasoning anyway as to why it doesn't have a replay mode.

They have always had that too. 100s of cars and parts bouncing off each other is no issue in terms of rendering and having a free camera. The problem is when you replay you have to either record their exact trajectories or have a fully predictable physics system (though perhaps some kind of middle ground is possible, but will be very hard especially if it's not your own physics system.

Up to now, I never experienced a driving game that has anything to do with real live driving...not even close.my buddy even has a full blown out racing man cave. A game is a game. A game needs to be fun. MS was super fun and was pure arcade...I just hope that under the shiny hood of DC, there is also a fun game. As I get it for free anyway...I'll see and check it out for myself.

Up to now, I never experienced a driving game that has anything to do with real live driving...
Well of course it's not! Just like no FPSes have anything in common with real life shooting people. But as far as simulacrums go, a realistic sim racer with a FF steering wheel gives a reasonable approximation.

Looks great but no way is the image quality going to be this good, this is a huge step up from their previous videos. Downsampled replay IMHO. Happy to be wrong though.
I had my doubts, but after re-watching the compressed 720p videos of the beta using the share button, I think it's very possible that these are gameplay videos of the final build. This is the first time we've had HQ footage since months ago (E3? Maybe even longer ago).

Honestly, the only things that looks better in my eyes, is the overall sharpness (which is probably because the beta footage was compressed and 720p) and the AA on the power lines.

In regards to the physics, this game was never meant to be a full-blown sim racer. They never tried to make it that, they never claimed it would be. But the guys over at inside sim racing said basically what Evolution has been saying... it's not a sim racer, but the physics felt 'pretty damn good'. They say it's very much like FH. The guy at simpit also seems to be excited about DC.

IMO, just from watching videos, the physics have been improved from last year if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw man that Norway snowy track really blew me away, it shows games like KZ and Infamous aren't even scratching the surface of what's possible on the PS4. Does anyone know do we get the Photomode via Day one patch?

Have to agree with you, looked really good, but the snow banks could be a bit higher ;)

More like this maybe:D
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyx3us182mzplia/Photo 17.05.12, 15.36.29.jpg?dl=0
Or this

With this and Horizon 2, this is going to be a great time to be a car game fan :)

Well of course it's not! Just like no FPSes have anything in common with real life shooting people. But as far as simulacrums go, a realistic sim racer with a FF steering wheel gives a reasonable approximation.

I agree! But in this sense, most driving games are a reasonable approximation...project gotham is about the same as forza when comparing to real life imo...so, no need to put 'sim' racer on a high podest...

Back