PlayStation suite

anyone porting XBMC? :)

Unless someone's ported ffmpeg to managed C# (without using a wrapper), all you'd have is the XBMC frontend with the ability to play mp3s. And if someone did port ffmpeg to purely managed C# code, PS Suite also lacks a low-level audio API, so I doubt it'd work very well.

On the other hand, they're planning on adding video codecs later. If people don't mind making their XMBC server do a bunch of transcoding (I don't expect full ffmpeg as part of the SDK), it should be doable... eventually.

Someone ported one of his Android games to PS Suite:

Vid of a Android->Suite port, Meltdown Moon, 6 hours work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9QgqynMMPA

If you look for Playstation Suite you can find a quick demo from someone building a UI with the composer and using it in a project. After having toyed around with the various tools, PS suite looks like one of the fastest to do something in.

It is really quite promising ... This is the easiest mobile development I have been able to do on any platform so far, and free too. It's really great for me to have all those Mono libraries available, and to have it so close to Windows .NET as a result. At least for me. ;) But I also love how easy and elegant it is to read the touch and gyro data and do basic graphics and sprite stuff. I still have to figure out one or two basic things (best way of doing buffer management with graphics for a drawing style app) but those are mostly due to my inexperience with programming this kind of stuff.

for stuffs like ereader, or anything that would require internal storage, how do you transfer files to the vita? Does the PS suite software allow drag and drop if you want to put your txt. pdf files on to the vita?

Gitaroo said:
for stuffs like ereader, or anything that would require internal storage, how do you transfer files to the vita? Does the PS suite software allow drag and drop if you want to put your txt. pdf files on to the vita?

You can definitely get stuff to your PS Suite App through http, not sure what other options we will get ...

what about getting rid of stuffs on your vita? Sorry I havent tried deleting any non standard music, games etc on my vita.

Gitaroo said:
what about getting rid of stuffs on your vita? Sorry I havent tried deleting any non standard music, games etc on my vita.

Depends on what stuff. I assume apps will have access to their own docs only, perhaps also some general folders like music and video, but not much else, and not sure yet what the limitations are.

I did just successfully implement the XmlReader class to load xml from both the web and local xml files, so that's a nice beginning for me.

Does the xperia play have the lowest specs out of all the PS certified HW? Whats the best looking game on it, and does it even support shaders? I excited for this being a cross platform thing, but more so on the apps than games. And what other benefit does it have that will draw developers attention to port or work on it beside the SDK being easy to use since it has a tiny user base compare to android or iOS. Why would user want to make a new account than using their current android on and buy things from google play if a lot of them are port from android in the first place.

No idea what would be the best looking - it's still in beta, just got into open beta. The main appeal I can see so far is that it offers a better baseline performance level and more uniform approach to development across higher perf Android devices and also covers Vita. I have no idea if that will be enough, but development for it so far seems very friendly to use compared to Generic Android stuff ... We'll have to wait and see where it goes from here.

I'm currently developing a new version of my dynamic UI to it, hoping to allow for very fast building of UIs for settings, forms and so on. I built something like that a few times on PC and may make this public for all to use if I can get it good enough and people see a use for it. It completely abstracts the UI logic to xml and builds the interface dynamically, so you can easily swap out controls and styles, and don't have to worry about resolutions and such. I got an initial version running tonight that serializes the logic from Xml and renders various types of controls to a PagesPanel and that seems to work really well so far. Next up is getting info into and out of it, conditions and events, and then support for dynamic control libraries / plugins (if possible)

I mean best looking game the xperia play can run smoothly, not necessary a PS suite app. Kind of curious what the base line would be.

Does the xperia play have the lowest specs out of all the PS certified HW? Whats the best looking game on it, and does it even support shaders? I excited for this being a cross platform thing, but more so on the apps than games. And what other benefit does it have that will draw developers attention to port or work on it beside the SDK being easy to use since it has a tiny user base compare to android or iOS. Why would user want to make a new account than using their current android on and buy things from google play if a lot of them are port from android in the first place.

I think if an Android user has to make a new account to buy from the PS Suite store, it's probably going to be a tough sell. The PS1 games are already there, as are a couple PSP games, so there's a bit of incentive. PS Suite games might wind up being more reliable than the Android versions (naturally, they'll both be ports of iOS games), and knowing Android users they'll appreciate the fact that PS Suite games can't access their contacts list or text messages (as far as I know, anyway). ;)

Users that already have PSN accounts will be a lot more interested, especially if they have a Vita and/or Sony adds PS3 support.

I'm currently developing a new version of my dynamic UI to it, hoping to allow for very fast building of UIs for settings, forms and so on. I built something like that a few times on PC and may make this public for all to use if I can get it good enough and people see a use for it. It completely abstracts the UI logic to xml and builds the interface dynamically, so you can easily swap out controls and styles, and don't have to worry about resolutions and such. I got an initial version running tonight that serializes the logic from Xml and renders various types of controls to a PagesPanel and that seems to work really well so far. Next up is getting info into and out of it, conditions and events, and then support for dynamic control libraries / plugins (if possible), adding fancy stuff like overlay help etc.

2012-04-26-094744 by niwrA, on Flickr

2012-04-26-094750 by niwrA, on Flickr

2012-04-26-094755 by niwrA, on Flickr

Doesn't Vita support XML interfaces already? Android is built on it.

I don't think Vita supports that kind of UI Description, no, at least the UI composer doesn't create those. Remember, PS Suite is built on Mono, not Android, and looks more like Visual Studio .NET type projects than Android type projects.

Even then, this setup is not quite the same. The logic is separate from the layout. There's a Wizard object that contains the UI logic structure, where you can read and write data to that you can serialise to your objects or send to a webservice. You would indicate that the answer can be selected from multiple options, and you can specify the options (or a datasource for them) but you don't specify with what kind of control they are rendered - this you indicate separately in a type to render object table.

The idea is that you get UI Layout - UI logic - Business Logic - Data Interfacing in truly separate layers, which you can achieve with WPF, Android and iOS fairly well these days, but is still a lot of work and quite difficult. The setup I created greatly speeds up the process and makes it much easier and faster. At least, I think so. ;) May well try to port it to Android and iOS when I'm happy enough with the PS Suite version.

You can also read the UI logic from any Xml source at runtime.

Back