Formula 1 - 2011 Season

Fantastic race, lots of action, shame about the RB team orders, Lewis right at the edge again with Massa on those last few corners.

I'm surprised Ferrari have agreed to go back to the prior rules, it will handicap them more. It is all a bit of a mess I do agree.

On principle, I don't have a problem with team orders, but RBR have always been saying that they don't have team orders so they have in essence been lying.

Anyway, it was a great race, I am happy Alonso won he drove really well and outpaced everyone. I would have liked to see Webber in front of Vettel. Hamilton did great coming from 10th to finish 4th even with his lack of fuel. Massa did a good job attacking him, it was an exciting last lap for sure!

Alonso TOMA!

On principle, I don't have a problem with team orders, but RBR have always been saying that they don't have team orders so they have in essence been lying.

Anyway, it was a great race, I am happy Alonso won he drove really well and outpaced everyone. I would have liked to see Webber in front of Vettel. Hamilton did great coming from 10th to finish 4th even with his lack of fuel. Massa did a good job attacking him, it was an exciting last lap for sure!

Alonso TOMA!

Christian Horner seemed to say that the order wasn't because they wanted Vettel to win, but because they wanted both cars to finish "for the team" rather than take each other out trying to overtake.

Whether anyone believes this or not is a different matter :p

Christian Horner seemed to say that the order wasn't because they wanted Vettel to win, but because they wanted both cars to finish "for the team" rather than take each other out trying to overtake.

Whether anyone believes this or not is a different matter :p

'Sebastian - Mark is faster than you' would work as good I think.
Situation in RBR shows who they preferred driver is. It was obvious last year and it proves to be no different this year.

Anyway, RBR is paying driver wages so I won't waste much of my time on this debacle.

Alonso was mighty fast and deserves that win for sure.
Ferrari agreeing to go back to Valencia rules is also telling they somewhat worked out theirs car back end so they not worried too much about it.
Remember Ferrari was quick not because of engine mapping for this race but because they had substantial upgrade on the car.

I hope it was due to upgrades because that will mean a more consistent battle for the podium between RBR, Ferrari and McLaren.

Great race. Great driving from everybody.

I feel sorry for Button, he had a great race and having to end it in such a stupid way must be gut wrenching.

I love Silverstone; great track, great crowd. More proper race tracks please!

Cheers

Newsflash. This was bound to happen after last years shenanigans.

Why not McLaren as a destination?
Where will Button/Hamilton go? Hamilton will not go to Ferrari, maybe Button will.

RBR? Straight swap.
I don't believe it.

Also why would Red Bull throw Ricciardo urgently into an HRT? Why not wait to put him into a Toro Rosso next year. They obviously need him next year for something.

Last edited by a moderator:
So apparently Red Bull let their drivers 'race' each other, but getting both cars home is way too important to let the drivers *cough*Mark Weber*cough* actually attempt overtaking moves on the other.

I think the most surprising thing about this is that they were so overt with it. There would have been significantly more subtle ways to tell Webber to slow down and stay behind Vettel. Of course Webber may have been aware that there was no technical reason for him not to go for it at that stage so a disguised team orders message may have been ignored... like he did to the actual one.

So apparently Red Bull let their drivers 'race' each other, but getting both cars home is way too important to let the drivers *cough*Mark Weber*cough* actually attempt overtaking moves on the other.

I think the most surprising thing about this is that they were so overt with it. There would have been significantly more subtle ways to tell Webber to slow down and stay behind Vettel. Of course Webber may have been aware that there was no technical reason for him not to go for it at that stage so a disguised team orders message may have been ignored... like he did to the actual one.
I suspect they tried the subtle way first.

I can see Raikonnen drive for a team like RBR. There are plenty of alcoholic drinks that mix with RedBull afterall. But not as long as Vettel is there. It's obvious now RBR is looking for someone fast enough to bring in points but not so fast that they are going to bother Vettel too much. Given that Raikonnen left F1 because he couldn't be botherd with all the ''have to's'' I doubt he's going to play second man at RBR.

I can see Raikonnen drive for a team like RBR. There are plenty of alcoholic drinks that mix with RedBull afterall. But not as long as Vettel is there. It's obvious now RBR is looking for someone fast enough to bring in points but not so fast that they are going to bother Vettel too much. Given that Raikonnen left F1 because he couldn't be botherd with all the ''have to's'' I doubt he's going to play second man at RBR.
I don't believe Kimi will ever race in F1 again and not just because the extra-racing activities he had to perform, but also because he's been out of it for some time and comebacks in F1 rarely work out.

I think Webber said he was concentrating as much as he could with almost constant radio traffic over the last couple of laps.
He was ignoring them, so yeah that is concentration.

Webber is likely to stay at RBR next year as he has posted n the BBC website that negotiations are going in a positive direction.

Storm in a tea cup really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/14140537.stm

Mark Webber has revealed that he is in "positive" talks over a contract extension at Red Bull, despite his grievances over team orders during Sunday's British Grand Prix.
The 34-year-old was unhappy that he was asked not to try to overtake team-mate Sebastian Vettel for second place...

"What happened on Sunday does not turn my world upside down." [Mark Webber]

Webber is giving in to RBR, then. He is destined to be a number 2, like Barrichello at Ferrari under Schumacher's reign.

But whats the alternative? Going to Ferrari would put him in the same position only with a probably less dominate car. The same would apply for mclaren where he won't be beating Hamilton. He's nearing the end of his career so why wouldn't he stick with the team that will probably give him the fastest car. Now he only has to beat his teammate. The only alternative is a midfield team but he'd be crazy to go drive for such a team at his age when he can be in a race winning car. He might be a number two driver and not win the WDC but atleast he can challenge for wins.

Back