RAGE : It Deserves its own thread now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would a 4850 handle it with a quad core processor? Will I get atleast 30 fps with 1360X768 ?

You will probably get beyond 120fps with full tilt settings. Considering how much more powerful your GPU and CPU it is given unless they dont care about optimisations which would be strange considering it was supposedly running at 60fps some year(s) ago on a PC and with what seems better IQ compared to recent released media.

Also a developer from ID said a dual-core was enough (I think the quote is in this thread).

EDIT: Above your post...:LOL:

Would a 4850 handle it with a quad core processor? Will I get atleast 30 fps with 1360X768 ?

Lol, if it doesn't then id have well and truly abandoned the PC (which I doubt will be the case)

Its people with 43xx level GPU's and pentium class dual cores that should be asking that question.

I have an ATI R800 at home. Or X800? I even forgot its name. Bought it for Doom3 I guess :)

The only thing that's gonna make me upgrade my PC is Starcraft 2 though. Otherwise it's X360 for me...

The biggest problem I see is that while id talks that MT doesn't necessarily increase development time (artists), that it makes life easier because there's no more texture budget and that their id Studio tools are great for streamlining the pipeline, what we/licensees do see is that RAGE will be released 5 years since their last game; already taking into account they spent 1 year on the cancelled Darkness game.

I believe it's telling that back in 2007 they had a few closed door showings at E3 to potential licensees and they mentioned in interviews how they were going to pursue this a lot more now and then in interviews they've given this year they tell us that licensing isn't their focus, there's no license announcements, etc. etc.

I think of a number of things in response.
1) Inertia, people get used to working with what they have. id lost market share severely it is hard to get it back
2) It is not only a different engine, it likely puts different pressures on developers, they might need a different mix of employees.
3) Is this why they sold to zenimax? I kind of think it likely.

In regard to licensing, it's also worth noting that id is still only officially licensing id Tech 4 at this point. id Tech 5 isn't freely open to licensing.

Yes, that's their current message. Back in 2007 they were talking a very different one.

Hmmm, that's right I forgot they came right out and said they expected actual licensees back then. Well...it'll be interesting to see if they say anything at QuakeCon, because they definitely haven't said much since 2007.

Far more so that RSX is like G80 ( a 3+ yo PC GPU) and beyond. Thats why i'm not really getting the coments about ID struggling with the PC tech while the console tech is doing fine.

Its more like the modern tech (relatively speaking in Xenos's terms) is doing fine while the old tech is struggling. Pretty obvious when you think about it!

Well RSX is much closer to either a 7800 or 7600 series. The G80 is far far FAR more advanced than the RSX.

Regards,
SB

Hmmm, that's right I forgot they came right out and said they expected actual licensees back then. Well...it'll be interesting to see if they say anything at QuakeCon, because they definitely haven't said much since 2007.

Yup, it will be interesting. One thing we now count on is that the disc games of today are the downloadable games of tomorrow, either via "games on demand" now on 360, through future backward compatibility via an "old gen" download game section on a new gen console, possible ports to portables/phones, etc. Current ~6.8gb 360 games are a very nice fit to that business model. Megatexture isn't :( It'll be interesting to see if they can convince a big publisher to go with it. I already hear big publisher folk bitching about the costs of even simple middleware like Havok, are they really gonna want to fork over yet more cash for another software solution? I like Rage and all, but I'm having a hard time fitting it into the multi platform era of extreme cost cutting.

I think of a number of things in response.
1) Inertia, people get used to working with what they have. id lost market share severely it is hard to get it back
2) It is not only a different engine, it likely puts different pressures on developers, they might need a different mix of employees.
3) Is this why they sold to zenimax? I kind of think it likely.

Add to that it appears they had to spend a not-insignificant amount of time getting it to run well on Cell, and then after that had to figure out how to get it to work well on traditional CPUs after changing everything to work better on Cell.

Regards,
SB

Yes, that's their current message. Back in 2007 they were talking a very different one.

Actually if I recall in the interview and from every single past experience they want to be the first ones with the game based on the engine. Thus no one can produce a game until rage is done, which is "when its done". Has to put a crimp in sales.

Actually if I recall in the interview and from every single past experience they want to be the first ones with the game based on the engine.

Sure, release date but not a signature on a license agreement. Prey was licensed before DOOM 3 shipped. They were actively pursuing licensees at E3 2007, now they aren't.

Tech 5 does not have to use Megatexture and outdoor free-roaming worlds, so both dataset size and production budget are scaleable.

You can certainly build a simple level-based shooter with it, even an indoor one (like Doom) and if you don't have to bake the lighting into the texture atlas then you can even have tiling to some extent (although I guess that if you hold back on stamping the hell out of your level, then the game assets can be compressed significantly).

So what do you still get?
- full multiplatform support with almost literaly a single button press
- 720p + 60 fps capability with proper optimization and art assets
- data streaming engine (I guess they have it for animation, sound and other data too)
- most of the usual bells and whistles like post processing engine, vehicle physics, nice editors

It's still a good looking package that could be competitive with UE3, at least the way I see it...

Tech 5 does not have to use Megatexture and outdoor free-roaming worlds, so both dataset size and production budget are scaleable.

Thank you. v_v
I wrote up a post to make the above point, but decided not to follow through.

There are many facets to the engine. I think people can learn a thing or two from it (especially the highly parallel architecture for assorted platforms). The outcome will always depend on the project needs and how the developers use it, whether it's game on demand or a full blown Blu-ray production.
[size=-2]Just leave the devs alone to finish their project.[/size]

Sure, release date but not a signature on a license agreement. Prey was licensed before DOOM 3 shipped. They were actively pursuing licensees at E3 2007, now they aren't.

I understand, but that is not going to help talk people into using your engine when they know they can't ship until an arbitrary date that is fluid and may change ( along with the engine itself). The acquisition by zenimax might also change the plans in regards to licensees. I will be interested to wait a bit and see personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back