First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

According to the blog one character model uses as many polygons as an entire level of Killzone 1. I was just wondering if any of you guys could give an estimate of how many polygons a level of the PS2 game has. It does seem kinda high though (probably PR BS).

Edit: I seem to have misread. It says character models plural. I guess that makes more sense. Still get the ply number from a level and divide it by a reasonable number of enemies on screen and you can deduce how many polys each character is made of.

Impressions....

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803129p1.html

The opening was once again fantastic, but we couldn't help but sit there and think, "When are we finally going to see some in-game footage?" The only thing was that we had been looking at in-game footage. As soon as our soldier hits the ground and his gun comes into view, very much like what we saw with the opening to Resistance, we couldn't help but think, "Holy hell, all of that was in-game?"

Indeed, it's quickly apparent that Guerilla has come much closer to the original trailer than most anyone thought possible. It's not 100% identical to be sure, but there are times (quite often) when it's really, really damn close.

While not featuring as much normal mapping in pro-pixel leatherization diffusion as Gears of War, it bests it in other ways. For one, there's more polygonal detail in, well, everything. Soldiers' faces looked unbelievable, and while you can pick out polygons while studying their shoulders, we must repeat that you have to study them. Streets and buildings are lined with stuff, and there's not really a better way to encompass that. Power lines, boxes, railings, window sills, trash... it's all there. While there aren't as many effects going on as we've seen in some UE3 gamers, there's unmistakably more detail to everything.

The lighting is also smoother. While UE3 games like Gears boast realtime lighting for everything, Killzone 2's lighting scheme mixes realtime and pre-canned lighting for an extremely smooth and, frankly, extremely impressive lighting model. The art direction, what with its dark colors and overly-gritty feel, keep the game from looking "real", but that doesn't mean it isn't absolutely immersive. I will personally say that I can't remember seeing a more impressive lighting model than this. More realistic? Maybe. But more impressive? No.

wow.

If that impression is true, Sony has just missed the best way to sell Killzone. They should have torn a page from Nintendo and film the audience's facial expression and body language during the show. :D

What else did they see during the whole 2.5 hours ?

MAKE A SEPARATE THREAD. Cause THEN we can take it off-topic.

Seriously, make a separate thread and call it "IGN Killzone 2 preview, pics+vid soon".

Something is wrong with the color precision, highlights and overbright parts are washed out...

I would like to see the trailer before making any more comments though.

I always thought Killzone would either disappear or come out looking (almost) as good as the trailer.

As a staunch Sony guy, I am pleased it's the latter. Now I can safely put Killzone back on my ignore list until it's reviewed. If the comparison with Call of Duty 1 stands up in the final game I might give it a go, Call of Duty 1 is one of the few FPS games I actually enjoyed.

media

media

media

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good, cant' wait to see it in motion and some more areas.
I wish the game is not all gritty colours and dark places though. I wish more fps shooters dared to be more colourful, like HALO3.

it reminds me of gr:aw cept with a different color pallete and a bit sharper...im not too impressed but im not disappointed either, i do think it looks better than r:fom though

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look good, maybe even amazing. But I must say it's doing the same thing as Gears. It has a big advantage because the enviroments (at least in these screens) are not huge and open ended, and the onscreen characters are few.

IGN impressions are sick. Cant wait to see this in motion!!!

The game presentation started with a very familiar cut scene that showed a group of men being flown in to take on the Helghast. The trailer's graphics were amazing. It's probably some of the best facial animation I've seen in a console game. I did find the mouth movements to be a bit uncanny, but otherwise it was some pretty impressive stuff.

After what we thought was a short trailer, the game dropped straight into actual, live gameplay. And I do mean live, the game was actually being played by one of the developers as we watched.

The developer proceeded to play through an entire level of the game as we looked on in stunned silence. There was a lot to take in during the lengthy gameplay session. First, the game appears to not feature a HUD, in fact the only time I saw anything on the screen that was hud like was when the developer fired or switched weapons.

The game's look was the most stunning thing about it. Much like Resistance Fall of Man, it wasn't anyone thing that really stood out (though the lighting effects were just plain stunning) but rather the combination of everything you were seeing. There was so much detail, so much activity that it was hard for you to take it all in as it happened. Instead the game's intense action and detailed graphics helped to create what the developers called a violent theater of war.

The little things I did notice about the game included destructible environments, enemies that not only reacted to being shot, but to where they were shot, impressive weather, fire, and lightning effects and a world that was abuzz with activity.
http://kotaku.com/gaming/e307/killzone-2-impressions-277070.php

the second image is just great.

Indeed, it's quickly apparent that Guerilla has come much closer to the original trailer than most anyone thought possible. It's not 100% identical to be sure, but there are times (quite often) when it's really, really damn close.
While not featuring as much normal mapping in pro-pixel leatherization diffusion as Gears of War, it bests it in other ways. For one, there's more polygonal detail in, well, everything. Soldiers' faces looked unbelievable, and while you can pick out polygons while studying their shoulders, we must repeat that you have to study them. Streets and buildings are lined with stuff, and there's not really a better way to encompass that. Power lines, boxes, railings, window sills, trash... it's all there. While there aren't as many effects going on as we've seen in some UE3 gamers, there's unmistakably more detail to everything.

The lighting is also smoother. While UE3 games like Gears boast realtime lighting for everything, Killzone 2's lighting scheme mixes realtime and pre-canned lighting for an extremely smooth and, frankly, extremely impressive lighting model. The art direction, what with its dark colors and overly-gritty feel, keep the game from looking "real", but that doesn't mean it isn't absolutely immersive. I will personally say that I can't remember seeing a more impressive lighting model than this. More realistic? Maybe. But more impressive? No.

Now for the gameplay... Do you remember what it felt like to first play Call of Duty, with bullets flying everywhere and feeling like safety or even pause was nowhere to be found? That's Killzone 2 in a nutshell. The bullets only stopped when a hallway was cleared and you haven't gotten to the next corner yet. And that didn't happen very often.

A cover system looks to be in place in some fashion, though it's a little unclear as to how "deep" it is. You're able to lean around the sides of cover or corners to take out enemies, and you can blind fire around and over it (with your soldier holding his weapon sideways as it kicks bullets into uncertain territory). It didn't kick you out to a third-person view ala Rainbow Six: Vegas however, so we're not sure how much you're intended to rely on it.

Aside from the very nice use of lighting and polygons, Killzone 2 has a few more tricks up its proverbial sleeve. The animation system looks to be blend of pre-canned and ragdoll animation. Helghast would fly back up against a wall, roll down stairs and the like, but we also witnessed one dying soldier crawl on his hands and knees for a bit while breathing his last breath, and another seemingly attempt to catch himself with his arms as the rest of his body went limp. The animation system was mind-blowing in any way, but it also fit nicely into the world.

Physics on objects look to be what you'd expect these days. Chairs and boxes kicked, moved and would spin as you would expect, but they don't dent or deform or anything of that nature. There are destructible segments of the environment, though they look predefined and not dynamic. Planks of wood, a number of which were nicely placed for effects-value, would break and splinter when shot, but they look set up to do so. Pillars and other solid but breakable objects were similar. You can chip away at them, but don't expect to write your name in the rubble.

As for multiplayer, the only details that we saw were part of a short PowerPoint presentation at the end, but Guerilla promises an "extensive multiplayer component", one that will make use of Home in some fashion. Sounds good to us.

Want to see the game for yourself? Head to the PlayStation Network at 3pm PST on Wednesday and you'll find a brand-spanking-new trailer waiting there for you.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/803/803129p3.html

Press Release, a few small techy details at the end.

INTRODUCING KILLZONE™ 2, THE ULTIMATE FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER FOR PLAYSTATION®3

Highly Anticipated Follow-Up to the Top-Selling Killzoneâ„¢ Delivers Next-Gen Gameplay, Stunning High Definition Graphics, and Ultra-Realistic Combat

SANTA MONICA, Calif., July 11, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced the 2008 release of Killzone™ 2, available exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. Developed by Guerrilla Games, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment, Killzone 2 throws players back into the midst of a hostile and dramatic ongoing battle between the ISA and Helghast army. Following events and action from the original Killzone for PlayStation®2, Killzone 2 sets a new standard for next-gen gaming by delivering intense warfare with incredibly lifelike character animations, highly detailed and destructible environments, realistic physics, and advanced levels of artificial intelligence (A.I.).

Unveiled for the first time Tuesday evening at an exclusive media event in Santa Monica, the Killzone 2 demo awed guests with action-packed sequences full of detail and game variety, sure to draw players right into the heart of battle. Once again set in an extreme post-modern war, Killzone 2 utilizes the power of PLAYSTATION 3 to deliver a striking graphical style that showcases a gritty realism unique to the Killzone franchise.

“There have rightly been high expectations for Killzone 2 since we shared the vision for the title back in 2005,†said Phil Harrison, president, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. “Guerrilla have worked hard to focus the power of PLAYSTATION 3 to realize their true vision for the game. With incredible action, drama-fueled gameplay sequences, and a vast array of weapons and vehicles, Killzone 2 defines a new benchmark of our industry.â€

Two years after the Helghast assault on Vekta, the ISA is bringing the fight to the enemy’s home world of Helghan. Taking the role of Sev, the battle-hardened veteran of the special forces unit known as the Legion, players will embark upon a mission to the planet Helghan to capture the Helghast leader, Emperor Visari, and bring the enemy’s war machine to a halt. For Sev and his squad, the invasion of Helghan is just the beginning. Tasked with securing Pyrrhus, the Capital City, the team quickly discovers that the Helghast are a formidable enemy on their home planet. Not only have they adjusted to the planet’s hostile conditions, they have also harnessed a source of power from the environment that can be used against the ISA. Sev and his team soon discover the fight is greater than simply addressing the enemy forces; the Legion must also learn how to handle the effects of the fierce enemy planet.

With an extensive, story-driven single-player mode and thrilling multiplayer mode, Killzone 2 offers a host of new elements that caters to both hardcore and casual gamers alike. The game features highly atmospheric environments that respond accurately to weapon fire as players storm through the world of Helghan. The harsh climate and conditions of Helghan are also a factor, forcing players to adapt new tactics to survive. Proprietary tools and technology such as deferred rendering techniques are implemented to create advanced effects, such as ultra-vivid and detailed character animations and environments. Advanced cinematic effects are used to provide unprecedented visuals, including motion blur, internal lens reflections, and depth-based color grading that will let players experience gameplay that is sharp, detailed, and vibrant. Additionally, Killzone 2 supports 7.1 surround with location-specific audio, providing players the opportunity to experience sound and music that are not only dynamic but in context to indoor and outdoor locations.

I expect the worst case sceneario - it looks good enough to get the fans raving; but not as good as the CG or better then any other game to satisfy the sceptics...

But I must say it's doing the same thing as Gears.
In what way is it doing the same as Gears?

The previews say "cover" doesn't appear to be a major part of the game.

I know you have to say something bad about anything PS3 related, but come on....

Mind the comparisons guys..

But I'm not sure it sounds like they're limiting how much is going on at any one time, if that's the point. From Kotaku:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/e307/killzone-2-impressions-277070.php

The game's look was the most stunning thing about it. Much like Resistance Fall of Man, it wasn't anyone thing that really stood out (though the lighting effects were just plain stunning) but rather the combination of everything you were seeing. There was so much detail, so much activity that it was hard for you to take it all in as it happened. Instead the game's intense action and detailed graphics helped to create what the developers called a violent theater of war.

I think you'll have to wait for the video to judge that for yourselves. Anyway, Kotaku seemed very impressed - Brian Crescente reckons it's the most impressive game he's seen so far at E3.

Back