Ps3: Firmware 1.6

Firmware 1.6 is available for download now (12:38 am PST) :D

EDIT: Installed firmware and Folding@Home (another 50 Mb download) by 12:53am.

To put F@H into autoexec mode, press "Triangle" over the F@H icon. I have added B3D as my team.

Turned off Auto-start (Yay ! One annoying feature gone)

Turned on WMA support (This was not mentioned in the change log).

PSP remote play is interesting. I can play PS3 video, music and photos from my PSP (background mode also works here). Can't change settings, can't play games, can't fold remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firmware 1.6 is available for download now (12:38 am PST) :D

Yep, it's out. Background downloading is very cool. There's a "Download Management" option available under Network that displays your current queue, including the progress of each file. This is a nice feature to at least download a few trailers and making-of videos I would have skipped otherwise.

Currently downloading F@H.

Turned off Auto-start (Yay ! One annoying feature gone)

Turned on WMA support (This was not mentioned in the change log).

Great! That confirms my expectations of seeing all the PSP functions trickle into the PS3's XMB.

This is from GAF's B-Ri:

-Folding@Home
-BG Downloading (in and out of game, and so far even while playing online)
-Fixes to Resistance in Players met (going along with the also coming motorstorm patch to use xmb friendlist)
-Disc Auto-start option (was a godsend on the psp, welcomed here too)
-Network settings and tests (if its not new i didnt notice it)
-Remote play via any wifi connection (cant test, 3.03 custom firmware gives ps3 "psp system update required" message)
-Seperate icon for mic/video chat
-Game Icons that are videos will now constant play instead of standard image when not highlighted
-Full screen keyboard
-no more holding, simple press of ps button brings up menu when ingame
--------------

Just one note, downloading in online games stops while playing matches. But while you are in game menues, download is stil working. Awesome.

This is from GAF's B-Ri:

-Folding@Home
-BG Downloading (in and out of game, and so far even while playing online)
-Fixes to Resistance in Players met (going along with the also coming motorstorm patch to use xmb friendlist)
-Disc Auto-start option (was a godsend on the psp, welcomed here too)
-Network settings and tests (if its not new i didnt notice it)
-Remote play via any wifi connection (cant test, 3.03 custom firmware gives ps3 "psp system update required" message)
-Seperate icon for mic/video chat
-Game Icons that are videos will now constant play instead of standard image when not highlighted
-Full screen keyboard
-no more holding, simple press of ps button brings up menu when ingame
--------------

Just one note, downloading in online games stops while playing matches. But while you are in game menues, download is stil working. Awesome.

I thought Network settings and tests were there in an earlier update ?

I have not checked out Resistance's "Players met" sync with the XMB friend list.

Remote play works like a charm but you need to put PS3 into "Remote Play" mode. I was hoping it would do that automatically (upon incoming Remote Play request). May be next time :)

Photo viewing seems (a lot) faster too.

I love the instant "Playstation" button menu. Disliked the 1 second wait previously.

Some were claiming that you can download 2 items at the same time by putting 1 in the background, and then go back to PSN to download another one in the foreground.

F@H is very pretty. US and Japan look nice with those lit-up PS3s.

any word about DTS-MA encoding? and 1080/24p playback?
DVD upscaling?

No news.

there are more settings in the internet explorer too.

from what i've heard (haven't tried myself yet) you can open links in a new window by holding the x button. holding the circle button will also close the page displayed. if you simply press the R3 button, it will zoom in.

That tells us the GPUs and PS3s are by far the best thing to use for folding.

I cannot wait to link mine up.

Some were claiming that you can download 2 items at the same time by putting 1 in the background, and then go back to PSN to download another one in the foreground.
Up to 6 actually. And you can play a game while they download, though they cut off when going online. And resume when you go back offline.

To put F@H into autoexec mode, press "Triangle" over the F@H icon. I have added B3D as my team.

Whats the B3D folding number? :)

New browser works great, in terms of visibility. The zoom function, plus resolution +/- settings make it easy to find an easily viewable mode. Using it to type this, actually (no spell check, though :p). Still a bit slow (for me), but much improved, overall. They need to enable typing directly into input fields, and disable the onscreen keyboard. That would be of great help to those of us using actual keyboards.
Whats the B3D folding number? :)
32377, I think.

"Active PS3's are defined as those which have returned WUs within 2 days."

I don't think this is fair, vs the active window for PCs (50 days) and GPUs (10 days)

the reasoning is that the "Active" window is shorter for GPUs because they are faster, yet the PS3 is half the speed of a GPU *and* the folding client is not backgroundable so is likely not to be running 24/7 by any stretch. So the "Active" window for PS3s in the stanford program should logically be 20 days, not 10 days. Eg: many participants will set "activate on idle" and their PS3 might only do a few hours crunching a week, and therefore not return a unit for 7 days. They are "Active" by the PC and GPU defintion, yet will not count as active according to stanford stats.

Is the 2 day window defined / adjusted for the availability of the client (max 2 days ago)?

After the 1.6 patch I had some PS3 crashes today while watching a BR movie (Speed)

I set my Folding client to auto start after 10mins. But then I was watching the movie and it froze up and I had to reset it - twice in the first 20mins. I wanted to see the movie so I disabled the Folding client and didn't have a single problem for the rest of the movie.

Now I haven't had a chance to throughly test this yet. But either my PS3 got a bit too hot from running the Folding client for a few hours prior to the movie, or there is a problem with the client trying to run while a movie is playing. :cry:

In any case the PS3 folding is pretty damn cool. I love the visualizations. The whole globe where you can see all the little yellow dots for PS3s around the world is awesome. There is a night and day cycle that syncs with the system clock. So that when it's night time in your city/country that part of the world will be accuratly shrouded in darkness, and all the cities lights are visible. On the other side of the world it's day time and you don't see the city lights only the PS3 dots.

I have Folding running now at home, I didn't know about the B3D ID, I'll add myself when I get home. I wonder if we can write off the electricity used? :D

Up to 6 actually. And you can play a game while they download, though they cut off when going online. And resume when you go back offline.

I just tried it. Up to 6 queued but only the first is actively downloading. However if you go into PS Store and try to download another one (without putting it into background mode), it will be retrieved simultaneously with the queued one. Downloading all 6 together will probably be inefficient.

patsu said:
I have not checked out Resistance's "Players met" sync with the XMB friend list.

Ok... Resistance's "last players met" list does get sync'ed to the XMB friend list now. Not sure about in-gaming messaging, I have too few friends in XMB to test it.

Also have not tried any of those B/C games.

You can initiate a download from the PS Store via a Remote Play session, send it to the background, and it will carry on seamlessly. Which will be a great feature once global Remote Play is enabled. Starting the download of the some new demos and videos while you're at work/school from your PSP, so that they're ready for you when you get home sounds very nice. Setting up Remote Play is also a heck of a lot simpler now, to the point where somewhat w/o any wireless networking skills could do it w/o a problem. Plug you PSP in via USB, and register it on the PS3. No other settings to configure as with the original RP. However, you can use custom settings if you so choose.

Just checked out the BT Keyboard/Mouse support, using a Logitech diNovo BT Keyboard and Mouse. Keyboard registered with no problems. PS3 automatically generates a key that has to be typed in on the keyboard followed by enter. I saw no option for a custom, user generated, key as most PCs allow you to. The mouse gave me some troubles at first. The first few times I tried it, I was using the KB to navigate through the registration process. It didn't seem to like that. Once I used the controller, everything seemed to work OK. I didn't realize, before now, that you can navigate the entire XMB via the Mouse alone. Proper scroll wheel support, as well. Pressing the scroll wheel button acts as the PS button, allowing you to put the current app in the background (like the browser, or music player) and brings the XMB to the front.

The on-screen instructions state that you're allowed to register a total of 2 Keyboards and Mice. However, its rather ambiguous as to whether it means 2 keyboards and 2 mice or 2 devices total, whether keyboard or mice. I have not found a way to de-register a BT K/M yet.

Back