Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few pages ago it was an interesting thread that had some useful discovery on the capabilities of the Elite model. Since then its effectively been crapped.

We can chalk it up to a few of us who feel that MS should have offered HDMI 1.3a since 2005. And the few of us who are trying to come to grips with why those people see the Elite as such a bad thing.

A few pages ago it was an interesting thread that had some useful discovery on the capabilities of the Elite model. Since then its effectively been crapped.

Where was this? When One posted the infamous video of one Microsoft guy basicly saying HDMI isn´t needed, then someone pointing out Microsoft is offering something not needed, and then alot of arguing (neg rep handing out on the sideline) about wether Microsoft actually changed their mind (Elite is expected to be the main Sku.. or not?) on HDMI or not. I think it´s fair to question Microsoft on this and... how about this old school thing:

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1608/Editorial-The-Secret-HDMI-Pact/p1/

I´m sure Fox Mulder could fill a season of X-Files with this stuff, Did Sony add the HDMI to the cheap PS3 in order to screw with Microsoft on the Copy Protection?

In Microsofts defense, i think they had to add the HDMI at some point,and better now than later since they had to introduce the 120GB drive. What i find interesting is what they are gonna do about the next revision, are they gonna support HDMI 1.2 for real on the HD-DVD side? or do they choose to let HD-DVD hang to dry while adding a Blu-Ray drive with HDMI (though that would seem impossible?)

the Elite is NOT the main sku. They have made it clear that the Premium will remain so. Elite just fills a small void in their market as the Core will also fill the low end (entry level) user in the future.

HDMI added to this sku means nothing to the "what is needed this gen" category.

Where was this? When One posted the infamous video of one Microsoft guy basicly saying HDMI isn´t needed, then someone pointing out Microsoft is offering something not needed, and then alot of arguing (neg rep handing out on the sideline) about wether Microsoft actually changed their mind (Elite is expected to be the main Sku.. or not?) on HDMI or not. I think it´s fair to question Microsoft on this and...

MS has always said two things:
a) HDMI is not required for HD gaming
b) they would offer HDMI when it makes sense

I don't see how anything changed. They have always maintained that an HDMI connection would be available at some point.

Great post. I think MS missed the boat with HDMI, with 360 being positioned as a HD mulitmedia hub. Its also something the marketing men use as a differentiator. Thats one reason why I think the Premium will begin to fade when Elite comes out (along with 20GB HDD being too limited). In essence, its a price increase, because many people would have wanted HDMI in the first place.

I agree about HD DVD though. Its getting steamrolled in Europe. It appears closer in the US, but the momentum seems to be running in one direction.

Like wise...and agree with Democoder but to add to the converstaion with the Elite HDMI add on is that the HDMI is not even the up to date HDMI connector (1.3). Specially if the whole IPTV thing is what MS is aiming at then the audio is no next gen as well; no deep color,....

"the Elite will only support the 1.2 HDMI standard, and not the 1.3 spec which would have enabled TrueHD or Dolby Digital+. As such, you'll have to stick with regular DD, DTS, and WMA-Pro for your sound output. It also only supports dual channel PCM output, not full 5.1 channel.."

the Elite is NOT the main sku.

That's for the consumer to decide. The Elite offers more relative value than the Premium for the extra $80. The only question is whether people are willing to pay the extra to have the "best version". So far this gen they have gravitated to the top models and shunned the percieved "lesser" models.

I don't see how anything changed. They have always maintained that an HDMI connection would be available at some point.

I now see the problem in this thread as simply a Blu Ray vs HD DVD conflict. Which is ridiculous considering that Ms never intended to compete with Sony in their "HiDef movie disc in a game machine pursuit".

they simply added the HD DVD as an OPTION and some see that (and HDMI) as MS trying to play "catch up" to the PS3. Which is IMO, ridiculous :LOL: because Ms will laugh all the way to the bank selling a game machine, games and distributing digital HiDef over Live.

That's for the consumer to decide. The Elite offers more relative value than the Premium for the extra $80. The only question is whether people are willing to pay the extra to have the "best version". So far this gen they have gravitated to the top models and shunned the percieved "lesser" models.

well the elite also comes with composite/component cables and the 120 GB is really only necessary if you want to DL lots of 480p and 720p content over live, hardly a reason for HDMI.

I stand by my comment that MOST users will buy a Premium. For one $479 is way too much $ for the average user and two, expect price drops on the Premuim and Core to reach the broader market in a much larger % than the elite ever will.

I stand by my comment that MOST users will buy a Premium.

You might be right but if there's one thing people hate more than paying a lot of money for something is paying almost the same amount and feeling like they might be getting ripped off or not getting the best deal. Also there is always the fear of "I don't need this now but what if I do in the future" - in that respect the HDD on the other models can atleast be upgraded (albeit at a deterring $180 price) but HDMI cannot.

We'll just have to see. I have a feeling that people will now percieve that anything less than the Elite is not the "real XBOX 360".

I now see the problem in this thread as simply a Blu Ray vs HD DVD conflict. Which is ridiculous considering that Ms never intended to compete with Sony in their "HiDef movie disc in a game machine pursuit".

they simply added the HD DVD as an OPTION and some see that (and HDMI) as MS trying to play "catch up" to the PS3. Which is IMO, ridiculous :LOL: because Ms will laugh all the way to the bank selling a game machine, games and distributing digital HiDef over Live.

No, it is that MS missed the boat for the HD era/digital distribution...in part that no HDMI was included and that HDD should've been standard on both SKU instead of those small memory capacity modules.

IMO their stragety for the HD-DVD as an option was also half baked. I mean if they reaaly wanted to provide choice they should've provided a Blu-ray add on as well. After all they have the VC-1 codec to be maintained in the HD movie package. But I think MS will be late to the game on this as well (If blu-ray gains big momentum).

If the intention was not to piss off and contrast against Sony, why is Microsoft one of the three companies on this planet that think riding exclusively with HD DVD is a good idea?
Just because they're losing doesn't mean they didn't want that war.
Tap In said:
Again, if the intention was doing some opportune business, the heads of those who picked the side that has less than a tenth of the exclusive content would be rolling now. That however was not what has happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be right but if there's one thing people hate more than paying a lot of money for something is paying almost the same amount and feeling like they might be getting ripped off or not getting the best deal. Also there is always the fear of "I don't need this now but what if I do in the future" - in that respect the HDD on the other models can atleast be upgraded (albeit at a deterring $180 price) but HDMI cannot.

We'll just have to see. I have a feeling that people will now percieve that anything less than the Elite is not the "real XBOX 360".

that's possible, yes.

I think we have not seen the other shoe drop. They may sell their intended share of elites at this price/value point for a little while and then distance the Prem/core systems and the 120GB drive from the elite at a more attractive price negating that extreme effect.

As some mentioned earlier I think this machine may have a higher profit margin allowing them short term profitable sales for certain users but that it may just be posturing for the future 3 sku price scale. I really see the Premium in the near future as being at least $130 cheaper than the elite making the 120GB drive the difference maker.

so, take a $349 for Premium for example + $179 120 GB HDD = cheaper to buy elite, otherwise buy the Premium and add the HDD later if/when it's determined that as a user I will need it. that works even better if the Premium drops to $329 or $299, which will happen eventually.

No, it is that MS missed the boat for the HD era/digital distribution...in part that no HDMI was included and that HDD should've been standard on both SKU instead of those small memory capacity modules.

IMO their stragety for the HD-DVD as an option was also half baked. I mean if they reaaly wanted to provide choice they should've provided a Blu-ray add on as well. After all they have the VC-1 codec to be maintained in the HD movie package. But I think MS will be late to the game on this as well (If blu-ray gains big momentum).

:???: Whaaa? MS has been doing an excellent job at digital distribution. Where the heck have you been since November???

HDMI has nothing to do with me getting movies off of Live. Those movies will probably never have ICT enabled, especially since the HD stuff is 720P anyways.

MS has said in quite a few interviews that people love to run to Newegg and pull up a price for a disk drive then ask why MS is screwing people, when that isn't accurate.

Who was gonna make a BR drive for MS? Cause AFAICT Toshiba really went out on a limb to get the drives (and at such a cheap price, makes you wonder why the other blue laser devices are still so expensive...).

IMO their stragety for the HD-DVD as an option was also half baked. I mean if they reaaly wanted to provide choice they should've provided a Blu-ray add on as well.
After all they have the VC-1 codec to be maintained in the HD movie package. But I think MS will be late to the game on this as well (If blu-ray gains big momentum).

see I was right, it is about Blu Ray vs HD DVD. :p

My point was.... MS is just playing along, giving users some options... they are NOT here to play the HiDef disc movie game as some want them to. It is a game machine and a 720p digital distribution machine.

MS does not own its own movie Studio nor do they stand to benefit from Blu Ray as Sony does (or HD DVD) so they have no reason to play on that movie playground, beyond giving users some options.

It think they are serious about the Live digital distribution. If so they will need to drop the price on the 120GB drive when they drop the elite price as they need to maintain my Premium + HDD = Elite scale theory ;). I think time will reveal a strategy yet unseen.

Last edited by a moderator:
:???: Whaaa? MS has been doing an excellent job at digital distribution. Where the heck have you been since November???

Who was gonna make a BR drive for MS? Cause AFAICT Toshiba really went out on a limb to get the drives (and at such a cheap price, makes you wonder why the other blue laser devices are still so expensive...).

What by limmiting the download size...come on, now!

They could've asked Sony (bluray drive)...:)

see I was right, it is about Blu Ray vs HD DVD. :p

My point was.... MS is just playing along, giving users some options... they are NOT here to play the HiDef disc movie game as some want them to. It is a game machine and a 720p digital distribution machine.

MS does not own its own movie Studio nor do they stand to benefit from Blu Ray as Sony does (or HD DVD) so they have no reason to play on that movie playground, beyond giving users some options.

It think they are serious about the Live digital distribution. If so they will need to drop the price on the 120GB drive when they drop the elite price as they need to maintain my Premium + HDD = Elite scale theory ;). I think time will reveal a strategy yet unseen.

But they do care about VC-1 as a standarize codec and also ihd for hd-dvd interactive. They got their angle on this....

What by limmiting the download size...come on, now!

They could've asked Sony (bluray drive)...:)

Last I checked, most, if not all of the movies and TV shows that you can download are at least 100MB. Pretty sure you couldn't fit that on a memory card (well not the 64mb one). Shoot the free HD version of South Park was like 1GB. And it didn't need HDMI to be displayed on my TV.

Yes they could have asked Sony.

But they do care about VC-1 as a standarize codec and also ihd for hd-dvd interactive. They got their angle on this....

Perhaps, but by my estimation they have far less to gain from the HiDef disc movie format than Sony which is one reason why the 360 is just a DVD player/game machine. Of course the other main one was to be first to the game market, which is working out very well for them BTW. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back