Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post. I think MS missed the boat with HDMI, with 360 being positioned as a HD mulitmedia hub. Its also something the marketing men use as a differentiator. Thats one reason why I think the Premium will begin to fade when Elite comes out (along with 20GB HDD being too limited). In essence, its a price increase, because many people would have wanted HDMI in the first place.

The average X360 customer who buys the system to play games, is not going to give a shit about the consoles different inputs/outputs, he can still hook it up to his HD telly with no problems whatsoever and the cable is included in the box. In essence Elite is one more option to the lineup not a price increase. I woulnd't be surprised if the HDMI port finds it's way to the other skus too later on.

I am suprised that no one has even talked about how MS includes almost all the needed cables for a given kind of connectino in the box. Something that they could have raped people on (HDMI, Component, Etc) they didn't. That is cool of them (once I get past the fact that my Premium is now the middle of the road....).

It sure wouldn't hurt if Sony did the same thing.

We're not talking about the defination of "HD", but the definition of "HD Era". The SD era encompassed TV from the first black and white sets up to today's top SD analog sets. But to simplify, let's take NTSC vs ATSC, which was approved in 1953, meaning the "SD Era" lasted for 40+ years. You'd have to be an absolute moron not to realize that the "HD Era", even within the XBox360's lifetime, will consist of a considerable number of HDMI displays, thus it is not FUD to say that the initial SKU was not a forward looking design, but a stop-gap.
% of HD displays that include component inputs = 100%
% of HD displays that include HDMI inputs < 100%

Say again how MS is missing the HD era?

Or perhaps this is another one of those weird situations where I personally have been enjoying "the HD era" without HDMI, while connected to my 802.11a network, which according to you shouldn't be working.

And speaking of stop-gaps, thanks for reminding me; I need to send back my two HD displays. Neither support 1080p. Stupid stop-gap technology...

They always have a choice. Just don't buy the system.

I just think it´s a bit to easy to say the 10 million that bought the XBOX didn´t need HDMI when there wasn´t any XBOX HDMI for those that might have wanted one.

But hey, were doing the easy one liners now it seems, and handing out rep in anger as well, excellent!

I just think it´s a bit to easy to say the 10 million that bought the XBOX didn´t need HDMI when there wasn´t any XBOX HDMI for those that might have wanted one.

But hey, were doing the easy one liners now it seems, and handing out rep in anger as well, excellent!
Well, hopefully you didn't get a neg rep for your comment, but the point was whether consumers cared, not whether they needed it.

But to be fair, pointing to a 10 million install base, you can only say, "that 10 million didn't care enough", but it'd be arguable whether another 10 million did care and didn't buy.

I just think it´s a bit to easy to say the 10 million that bought the XBOX didn´t need HDMI..

That's the point. You don't really need it.

And Sis, I disagree with the 100% component thing. I have seen older HD sets without them (in Europe). Those screens did have VGA (or DVI) inputs though...

Your point still stands though. :)

And Sis, I disagree with the 100% component thing. I have seen older HD sets without them (in Europe). Those screens did have VGA (or DVI) inputs though...
That's strange--thanks for the clarification. Perhaps those were meant to be monitors used in commercial environments, not consumer displays?

That's strange--thanks for the clarification. Perhaps those were meant to be monitors used in commercial environments, not consumer displays?

Yup. But they did add tuners.

You did know we didn't have component over here in the pre-HD age (e.g. 480p)? That's probably part of the reason too...

Would have been a nice extra, but >10M buyers didn't care enough...

Perhaps because there was no next-gen alternative?

I wonder how many will care now?

I just feel sorry for new owners who have to play £350 just for HDMI and a larger HDD.

The average X360 customer who buys the system to play games, is not going to give a shit about the consoles different inputs/outputs, he can still hook it up to his HD telly with no problems whatsoever and the cable is included in the box. In essence Elite is one more option to the lineup not a price increase. I woulnd't be surprised if the HDMI port finds it's way to the other skus too later on.

If MS believed that, Elite wouldnt even exist.

The name of Elite speaks for itself. its for minority of market.

Premium = Best option for mainstream gamers
Elite = Best option for IPTV + minors who do care about HDMI

component is not bad enough to be rejected by majority of market imo.

I just feel sorry for new owners who have to play £350 just for HDMI and a larger HDD.

You feel sorry for them? Save your sympathy for people with real problems.

No-one has to buy a 360, and no-one has to buy an Elite even if they want a 360. HDMI is clearly going to work its way into the standard product range so if, for some reason, you feel it is imperitive to a) have a 360 and b) have HDMI on it, but you don't want to pay for the Elite, just wait.

Perhaps because there was no next-gen alternative?

I wonder how many will care now?

You can't blame MS for Sony waiting on HDMI 1.3 to be released. Sony could have released the PS3 ages ago with HDMI 1.2 or even 1.1. (BR recorders have been selling in Japan for about 2.5 years now AFAIK).

Microsoft has stated that they expect the premium edition to be the main SKU, so the point still holds about the average consumer. At some point I'd expect the premium SKU to get HDMI out as standard; it'd be nice just to have the option there.

HDMI isn´t need for 1080p if you use the VGA output (correct me if i´m wrong here) if not you will get 1080i from the component,

You get 1080p over component for all GAMES.

360 is NOT a disc media HiDef movie player by default. It is a game machine first and now a digital distribution box. (at 720p)

Why are you associating the average X360 owner with the elite SKU? Of course the elite SKU is not targetted to the mainstream user. Here, let me help you out: definition.

As for the rest of the thread, since when is HDMI the end-all, must-have cable? Some opinions in this thread are wildly out of touch with reality.

A few pages ago it was an interesting thread that had some useful discovery on the capabilities of the Elite model. Since then its effectively been crapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back