All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2023 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Sony first entered the video games industry back in 1994, the world was a very different place, with Nintendo and SEGA being the two biggest video game console manufacturers. In the nearly 3 decades since, we have seen the meteoric rise of the PlayStation brand, with no signs of Sony’s success slowing down. With the latest PS5 figures officially released, Sony has now sold over 500 million home consoles – a record for the industry.
It is worth noting that the 500 million figure only accounts for home consoles sold, and does not factor in the performance of the console manufacturer’s handhelds. If we were to include handhelds, then PlayStation would take second place behind Nintendo – with the latter shifting over 800 million units across both home consoles and handheld devices. Of course, Nintendo has released far more handhelds across its history when compared to PlayStation, and so the comparison is not the fairest.

Slightly off subject, but does anyone have any mobile handheld gaming numbers for iOS, Android, Windows, and Steam devices (excluding laptops)? Mobile gaming devices that are specifically spec'd for gaming, such as the Asus ROG smartphone line. I'm looking for sales data that's more reflective of consumers purchasing these particular devices exclusively for mobile gaming, and not simply for casual gaming.

I'm starting to see a trend among my son and his friends playing more games on their smartphones or tablets, and some of these devices spec'd for gaming foremost. My son hasn't touched his Switch in almost a year now.

Last edited:
FsxjvOnXwAEJWiL.png

It was before then end of the problem of stock but this is interesting.

Last edited:
Incredible numbers that keep going, with TotK and a price reduction when the successor is out 140-150m total sold looks very possible

There's a pretty good chance that NSW will hit 140 million or more by the end of the year. It'll depend on how much of a bump in sales the new Legend of Zelda (May) will give the console.

Whether it has a chance to outsell PS2 or NDS will depend on when the next Nintendo console is announced and how quickly sales of NSW die off after its successor is released.

Regards,
SB

Apparently horizon sold 8 million units. I am surprised because I had not heard anything about sales but it's actually tracking ahead of zero dawn launch aligned which is crazy

Fastest-Selling Consoles To 2m (GfK data)​

PosPlatformRelease YearLaunch PriceWeeks to 2mRevenue at 2m
1Nintendo Wii2006£18057£358m
2PS22000£29960£469m
3PS42013£37575£700m
4PS52020£42598£919m
5Xbox One2013£450104£726m
6Xbox 3602005£254110£507m
7PlayStation 11995£299114£179m
8Xbox Series S and X2020£386128£696m
9Nintendo Switch2017£285140£279m
10Xbox2002£295162£280m

Last edited:
Slower than Xbox One and Xbox 360

image.png

That's not good. I have seen plenty of XSX/S consoles available here in states for months, how is availability in the UK? Wasn't the rumor that XSX had supply issues (or potentially still having supply issues)?

Numbers don't include any direct orders from Microsoft. I wonder if the UK is anything like the US where for a long time the only way or best way to get a console was direct from Microsoft.

Numbers don't include any direct orders from Microsoft. I wonder if the UK is anything like the US where for a long time the only way or best way to get a console was direct from Microsoft.

But wouldn't that apply to Xbox One, One X, and possibly XB360 direct sales as well? Yes, direct sales aren't being included, but that would include Sony and Nintendo direct sales as well (that aren't being provided). Unless, you believe Microsoft direct sales are somehow outpacing box store sales tremendously in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back