GPU Ray Tracing Performance Comparisons [2021-2022]

this is a reply to this post https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...arisons-2021-spawn.62346/page-90#post-2269617 from @nAo . In the link he shared, they mention Larrabee, which allegedly had some RT capabilities.

Iirc, Beyond3D featured an article about Intel Larrabee, which was going to be a mix of CPU/GPU in a single processor, and I was sooo hyped 'cos it was rumored to be used in next gen hardware, but never came into fruition. Back then Xenos and Cell were all the rage but by the looks of it Larrabee looked special.

this is a reply to this post https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...arisons-2021-spawn.62346/page-90#post-2269617 from @nAo . In the link he shared, they mention Larrabee, which allegedly had some RT capabilities.

Iirc, Beyond3D featured an article about Intel Larrabee, which was going to be a mix of CPU/GPU in a single processor, and I was sooo hyped 'cos it was rumored to be used in next gen hardware, but never came into fruition. Back then Xenos and Cell were all the rage but by the looks of it Larrabee looked special.
Larrabee was bunch of in order x86 cores, IIRC closely related to original Pentium, doing gfx stuff

Portal RTX benchmarks are in.

At native 1080p, the 2080Ti is 3x times faster than the 6900XT, the 3090 is 9x times faster, while the 4090 is over 18x times faster!

6900XT: 5 fps
2080Ti: 17 fps
3090: 44 fps
4080: 67 fps
4090: 93 fps

At native 4K, only the 4090 is able to provide 26fps, while the 6900XT drops to 1 fps, making the 4090 26x times faster!

DLSS2 or DLSS3 is needed for playable fps,

with wide vector units stuck to each core. I believe they also had fixed-function texture units outside the cores but I may be misremembering.

Yes, it has dedicated texture units for sampling and texture decompression. It has very few other fixed function units, even triangle setup is software based.

Huh, what is happening in here? Portal RTX is doing more impressive lighting from a pure technical standpoint, but from a visual and performance standpoint, Lumen is muuuuch superior, it's not even funny. As a reminder, this is running at 60 fps on Series S in an open world enviroment with next gen high poly assets and phyiscs:

koko.png

Portal RTX IMO looks a lot less impressive in comparison. And that runs not even at 30 FPS without DLSS on a 4090, while the 4090 is damn close achieving 60 FPS at max settings/native quality in Fortnite.

C'mon guys.

For sure the comparison make sense a 15 years old game with basic geometry on environment limited in size and a battle royale game with 100 players on a vast map with new technology for foliage and geometry. :ROFLMAO:

Lets see a game build from the ground up around UE5 :)

Lets see a game build from the ground up around UE5 :)

Again compare HW-RT Lumen + Nanite to a Portal RTX make no sense. We compare a 100 player battle royale game on vast map against a 15 years old game with basic geometry on a limited environment. This made no sense at all.

Last edited:
Huh, what is happening in here? Portal RTX is doing more impressive lighting from a pure technical standpoint, but from a visual and performance standpoint, Lumen is muuuuch superior, it's not even funny. As a reminder, this is running at 60 fps on Series S in an open world enviroment with next gen high poly assets and phyiscs:

View attachment 7683

Portal RTX IMO looks a lot less impressive in comparison. And that runs not even at 30 FPS without DLSS on a 4090, while the 4090 is damn close achieving 60 FPS at max settings/native quality in Fortnite.

C'mon guys.

Portal RTX is a tech demo, most titles Nvidia helps with are more "tech demo" ey than concentrating on optimization. They're trying to show off their tech, so as long as it runs on the highest end RTX cards they're good.

AMD is producing a more optimized, game focused GI solution that could probably run on Series S at 30fps in time, or even 60 with enough upscaling. So too are the major game devs. EA just kind of quit making anything but sports games for a few years, but they're back to making other games finally and the Deadspace Remake looks like it's using all high quality raytraced shadows at 60fps:

Let's please avoid the useless visual comparisons between an interior focused game, vs an exterior focused open world game, and instead get back to discussing what Portal RTX is on it's own merits?

So in Portal RTX native 1080p, the 3060 Ti is 30% faster than 2080Ti, while the 3070 is 50% faster! This also applies to 4K DLSS Performance.

There is some possible reasons for that, either the game might be using ray traced Motion Blur, which is accelerated on Ampere but not Turing, or the game is finally tapping into the updated RT cores in Ampere.

Last edited:
Again compare HW-RT Lumen + Nanite to a Portal RTX make no sense. We compare a 100 battle royale game on vast map against a 15 years old game with basic geometry on a limited environment. This made no sense at all.

Again, lets wait and see what UE5 games will look and perform like. Fornite is a good start and it sure looks stunning. However I want to see games designed around UE5 from the ground up.
No idea why your hung up on the Portal comparison as i didnt mention any of that. Portal RTX and Fortnite UE5 are technically doing different things. Ray tracing wise, Portal is technically more demanding and impressive fidelity wise. Overall graphically? Thats going to be one's personal opinion perhaps. Both look great in their own rights. Dont forget resolution either.
Its the RTX Racer game im more inclined to compare UE5 to perhaps as that game/tech demo isn't based on a older game.

Interesting comment from the techpowerup Portal article. Just an example of the extreme silliness that surrounds RT.

Sorry, but until I can run games with full RT at 4K@120fps on a GPU that costs US$500, RT is simply a gimmick.

Forget the haters. 4 years ago nobody would’ve believed that a raytraced Portal at 1080p would be anywhere near possible. Things are advancing rapidly and I love it. Half life 2 next?

There is some possible reasons for that, the game might be using ray traced Motion Blur, which is accelerated on Ampere but not Turing, or the game is finally tapping into the updated RT cores in Ampere.
I've thought about that as well. Raytraced Motion Blur was a feature that was presented at Ampere's presentation and lead to huge performance increases for Ampere versus Turing but it got no use aside from Blender in all of its life cycle. I wonder if Portal RTX finally uses it.

Interesting comment from the techpowerup Portal article. Just an example of the extreme silliness that surrounds RT.

Forget the haters. 4 years ago nobody would’ve believed that a raytraced Portal at 1080p would be anywhere near possible. Things are advancing rapidly and I love it. Half life 2 next?

All the while their enjoying 1080p Fortnite at 60fps with reduced settings ;)

Again, lets wait and see what UE5 games will look and perform like. Fornite is a good start and it sure looks stunning. However I want to see games designed around UE5 from the ground up.
No idea why your hung up on the Portal comparison as i didnt mention any of that. Portal RTX and Fortnite UE5 are technically doing different things. Ray tracing wise, Portal is technically more demanding and impressive fidelity wise. Overall graphically? Thats going to be one's personal opinion perhaps. Both look great in their own rights. Dont forget resolution either.
Its the RTX Racer game im more inclined to compare UE5 to perhaps as that game/tech demo isn't based on a older game.

You were answering a comment of someone comparing what Fornite UE 5.1 on a 4090 is doing to Portal RTX again they aren't even doing the same thing at all. And Epic is probably knowing what they are doing with their own technology. Perfomance and quality will improve in the future on Nanite side and Lumen side. And for Fortnite, they needed to release the season now. From an art point of view and some configuration (less aggressive HLOD), the game will improve a lot.

Back