Worthwhile to upgrade GPU without resizable BAR?

Leovinus

Newcomer
Hey all!

I bought a second hand Lenovo Legion T7 (11700KF, 16gb ram, a 650w PSU, and my own Radeon 5700XT) a while back that is doing just fine for most of my needs. But since I got my hands on Cyberpunk 2077 It's on the edge at 1440p at mostly medium settings (about 40-55fps). Certainly enjoyable and playable on my 60hz screen, but I'd love to crank the settings a bit more. A new GPU might be in order.

It's been ages since I built my own rig, and I've gotten a bit rusty in the meantime. Would lack of ReBAR support for my motherboard leave too much performance on the table to warrant a higher end GPU (say a 3080, Radeon 6800, or whatever the new cards will be) when saving for a new system might be more prudent?

Other then that I hope you all have a wonderful day!

On my 3070, resizable bar have no apparent effect.

Some people with 4090 or 4080 can't reemebr which. says it hits up to 50% performance.

On my 3070, resizable bar have no apparent effect.

Some people with 4090 or 4080 can't reemebr which. says it hits up to 50% performance.
Hm, that seems like an abnormally big uplift from resizable bar. Is there an architectural reason behind it do you think? Or perhaps gaming at 4K with max settings simply means that the CPU blows through the standard 256Mb limit much faster. Meaning the gains are larger at higher resolution and quality settings with bigger data sets? I'm not well versed enough to do anything but uneducated guesses.

Granted, Intel basically needs ReBAR to stand a chance. And again I don't understand what, architecturally, they did for this to be the case.

Hm, that seems like an abnormally big uplift from resizable bar. Is there an architectural reason behind it do you think? Or perhaps gaming at 4K with max settings simply means that the CPU blows through the standard 256Mb limit much faster. Meaning the gains are larger at higher resolution and quality settings with bigger data sets? I'm not well versed enough to do anything but uneducated guesses.

Granted, Intel basically needs ReBAR to stand a chance. And again I don't understand what, architecturally, they did for this to be the case.
He's perhaps referring to some corner cases for SER on the 4090 being such an improvement. I would do some research, there's some tech youtubers that have done tests with ReBAR, with some various results depending on the game/platform. From what I remember, it wasn't that significant that doing without it leaves a whole lot of performance on the table.

Fascinating.. I'd never heard of Nvidia's resizable BAR. You live and learn..

Wait until you get nvidia demanding a fee from motherboard makers to make resizable bar work with their cards....
before you scoff remember they did it with sli

Wait until you get nvidia demanding a fee from motherboard makers to make resizable bar work with their cards....
before you scoff remember they did it with sli
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if nVidia asked you for a subscription to unlock future DLSS iterations. Setting aside the fact they make fantastic products, they really do seem to be trying to outdo the dwarves in Moria...

have you checked if your current mobo supports Resizable BAR with a firmware update? Mine, Asrock B450M Steel Legend didn't support ReBAR when it launched, but now it does. I certainly needed the update because without it the Arc A770 won't function properly, although that's a non issue for AMD and nVidia cards. Now the GPU runs like a charm, within its specs I mean.

have you checked if your current mobo supports Resizable BAR with a firmware update? Mine, Asrock B450M Steel Legend didn't support ReBAR when it launched, but now it does. I certainly needed the update because without it the Arc A770 won't function properly, although that's a non issue for AMD and nVidia cards. Now the GPU runs like a charm, within its specs I mean.
That would be nice but quite unlikely from Lenovo. Asus updated my X370 with ReBAR.

Yea I have. Sadly no dice. Lenovo doesn't seem interested. Weird for Intel to not pressure their partners to bring a firmware update for it considering how needed it is for their Arc lineup though. I'd frankly be interested in Arc, so while I'm a statistic of one I certainly am a customer who wont be getting an Arc card for no better reason than that Intels partner doesn't accomodate it.

I've not noticed much impact in games with Resizable Bar enabled but it does seem to have a large impact on modeliing and ML work.

Hey all!

I bought a second hand Lenovo Legion T7 (11700KF, 16gb ram, a 650w PSU, and my own Radeon 5700XT) a while back that is doing just fine for most of my needs. But since I got my hands on Cyberpunk 2077 It's on the edge at 1440p at mostly medium settings (about 40-55fps). Certainly enjoyable and playable on my 60hz screen, but I'd love to crank the settings a bit more. A new GPU might be in order.

It's been ages since I built my own rig, and I've gotten a bit rusty in the meantime. Would lack of ReBAR support for my motherboard leave too much performance on the table to warrant a higher end GPU (say a 3080, Radeon 6800, or whatever the new cards will be) when saving for a new system might be more prudent?

Other then that I hope you all have a wonderful day!
well, there is a workaround to add Resizable BAR to PCs that support it -from back to 2011- by enabling ReBAR when mobos manufacturers didn't want to enable the feature.

You want to go from a gpu with resizable bar to one without ?
looks to me like your next upgrade should be a motherboard

Back