Electric Vehicle Thread!

Stellantis, which is late to electric, showed off some Dodge Charger EV concepts.

It will have noise, which apparently will be controllable and produce up to 126 dBs. Some exec says EV muscle car fans want to hear their EV muscle cars.

It will also have a shifter, which may lead to reduced range.

The concept isn't suppose to be what they will manufacture but barring too much pushback to these ideas, it sounds like they will likely go with these as a way to differentiate.

There are plenty of high-performance EVs. They look better than the Charger does.

Doubtful the EV market was missing noisy throwback designs with a shifter which may or may not do anything or anything beneficial.

So weird. Is the auto parking on newer teslas failing across the board? I would have expected a high failure rate to result in viral level of complaints
I think there were 3 newer Teslas tried in the video which all failed on parallel parking. Honestly, I lost count, 2 or 3.

The guy who runs that channel has loads and loads of Teslas (his business is EVs, used only I believe, and his channel has a very high proportion of Tesla content). His surprise (dumbfounded shock covered up with giggles) reflects a reality in which people who post on forums and make videos don't use auto parking, I guess.

All Teslas, regardless of age/automation, failed in the perpendicular parking test. Maybe the Teslas didn't like how narrow the driving lane was, rather than the size of the parking spot?...

I only use auto parking for perpendicular spaces when it's really cramped - 3+ manoeuvres being likely. I haven't actually parallel parked my current car, in nearly 6000 miles of driving.

I think there were 3 newer Teslas tried in the video which all failed on parallel parking. Honestly, I lost count, 2 or 3.

The guy who runs that channel has loads and loads of Teslas (his business is EVs, used only I believe, and his channel has a very high proportion of Tesla content). His surprise (dumbfounded shock covered up with giggles) reflects a reality in which people who post on forums and make videos don't use auto parking, I guess.

All Teslas, regardless of age/automation, failed in the perpendicular parking test. Maybe the Teslas didn't like how narrow the driving lane was, rather than the size of the parking spot?...

I only use auto parking for perpendicular spaces when it's really cramped - 3+ manoeuvres being likely. I haven't actually parallel parked my current car, in nearly 6000 miles of driving.
It’s a good point. I’ve never attempted perpendicular parking, only parallel. I guess it’s quite normal to do perpendicular by yourself because it’s one of our most basic skills. Parallel though, the auto park works decently there

Man, the things you never really think about until it's potentially too late.

Heavily used in the creation of lithium ion batteries. It's main source and reason why it's so cheap? Fossil fuel refining. So, it's interesting to think that unless new battery technology emerges for use in vehicles, those vehicles are going to start to skyrocket in price as society moves away from the use of fossil fuels.

Regards,
SB

Man, the things you never really think about until it's potentially too late.

Heavily used in the creation of lithium ion batteries. It's main source and reason why it's so cheap? Fossil fuel refining. So, it's interesting to think that unless new battery technology emerges for use in vehicles, those vehicles are going to start to skyrocket in price as society moves away from the use of fossil fuels.

Regards,
SB
In the long run it could be an issue but there was loads of sulfur left over from oil sands. They couldn't afford (wasn't economical) to ship it out so it was just left as waste. Maybe this have changed but if not we have plenty of time to figure out other options.

We intermittently get these scare stories about scarcity of one element or another which don't tend to hold up in the longer term. Once prices increase enough, there are usually many other sources of these elements which suddenly become economical to tap into.

Lithium the most obvious of these - masses of the stuff around in the environment and if it is needed it will be extracted.

Hopefully, we'll be getting the elements in a manner which doesn't screw up the rest of the environment, of course...

Rode a Model 3 about 30-40 minutes on the freeway at 70-80 MPH. Was a Uber.

First road and wind noise is about the same as any other car I’ve been in.

Thing I noticed most was the big screen. It showed cars in front and in adjacent lanes, very basic graphics.

Draw distance was about 100-200 ft ahead and maybe 20-30 feet behind in adjacent lanes.

I asked if he had self driving option, driver said no.

He wasn’t using cruise control but I would imagine the cameras were rendering nearest cars for adaptive cruise and emergency braking?

Had a good amount of space in the rear though maybe headroom is limited when exiting for me, avg height.

He had on some loud talk radio sports show, maybe streaming.

Chinese EVs set to invade Europe before end of year.

New kid on the block is the Ora Funky Cat iand set to launch in autumn, taking on its closest competitor, the Mini Electric.

Ora is made by Great Wall Motors, China's leading manufacturer of SUVs and pick-up trucks, and in tandem with another Chinese group, BYD Auto, is reportedly in contact with UK dealer networks regarding the possibility of selling their models before Christmas.

BYD Auto recently dethroned Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) as the world's top EV manufacturer, with reports indicating sales grew by 61% to 2.18mln units in its second quarter.

The firm now has its sights set on Europe and has confirmed three new models will be launched in the region prior to the end of 2022 to be showcased at this autumn's Paris Motor Show.

Benelux and Nordic countries will be first with British customers included in the subsequent phase, though only with one of the three vehicles, the company said.
As Ora and BYD - the latter already a player in British electric buses - competition among dealer groups for their business is exp[ected to be fierce.

Read in Proactive: https://apple.news/AuFBblspdQmuUXVrfjtlKDA

Ora Funky Cat is set to undercut the electric Mini and Volkswagen Group (XETRA:VOW) ID3 EV with a price tag of about £30,000, whereas BYD's Atto 3 will cost around £35,000, way less than Volkswagen's ID4 in the segment.

BYD has also indicated it may launch the smallest and most affordable electric models in Britain if customer demand is strong.

He wasn’t using cruise control but I would imagine the cameras were rendering nearest cars for adaptive cruise and emergency braking?
The cameras and the computer are able to "see" more things than may be rastered on the screen. The UI is purely there for humans to enjoy and/or to have a basic understanding of what decisions the car may be making when in full self driving (FSD) or enhanced autopilot (EAP) modes. Two contrived examples....

One, the Tesla is in FSD mode and is stopped at a stopsign at an intersection where there is no stop for cross traffic. As cars are coming from both sides of the intersection, the UI will raster the cars in blue which it "sees" as blocking its ability to move forward. Second example: the Tesla is in FSD mode and is moving down a busy street, and people are stepping off the sidewalk into the road ahead of you. The UI will raster those people outlines in blue as the car either swerves or stops in deference to the perceived block to forward movement.

Outside of FSD mode, the enhanced autopilot mode (EAP) will raster the current operating lane in the street as blue. If the car wishes to change lanes, it will indicate the change in a few ways, one of which is to raster the intended destination lane in blue in the UI.

We intermittently get these scare stories about scarcity of one element or another which don't tend to hold up in the longer term. Once prices increase enough, there are usually many other sources of these elements which suddenly become economical to tap into.

Lithium the most obvious of these - masses of the stuff around in the environment and if it is needed it will be extracted.

Hopefully, we'll be getting the elements in a manner which doesn't screw up the rest of the environment, of course...

We don't even need stories about that

California wants to ban gas cars by 2035 but are still issuing power usage limits

I'd love to see CA's plan to not only catch up with current demand of electricity but increasing electrical needs from more and more electric cars attaching to the grid.

V2G or Vehicle to Grid pilot programs are being run by utilities in anticipation of using EV batteries to alleviate stress on the grid during peak demand times.

A Ford Lightning could power a home for 3 days according to this article.

But the interesting nuggets are predictions of the number of EVs on the road in the relative near future:

Some 200 million electric vehicles could be on global roads by 2030, according to a recent estimate. California alone could have 14 million by 2035, the Natural Resources Defense Council estimates. If just local utilities could exploit all those batteries, they’d be able to power every home in the state for three days.

I guess the global number is less impressive when you think about all the midget EVs being sold in China, other parts of Asia and Europe. Those mini EVs probably aren't sending too much power back to the grid, if anyone bothers with V2G on those.

Btw how's the battery life gonna be?

Sure LFP batteries probably won't have any observable effect. But how about other batteries like NMC?

Btw how's the battery life gonna be?

Sure LFP batteries probably won't have any observable effect. But how about other batteries like NMC?

LFP batteries in vehicles may see more significant degradation in capacity if they are more aggressively and regularly charged/discharged. It's great that they lose capacity more slowly than other Lithium Ion battery compositions, but that doesn't help much if it never holds a charge for more than half a day.

Regards,
SB

V2E is the only way to go in my opinion.

Imagine your area is suffering with power cuts. Are you going to let other people use the energy stored in your battery (car) when you can use it yourself? How much money is enough for you to sell energy back, especially if the situation is developing...

I'd be able to run my home for at least a week using my car, if only it had the ability to export power...

Back