GPU Ray Tracing Performance Comparisons [2021-2022]

Well, considering that GeForce 1080 Ti with 11GB memory, is more than 4 years old, and we still don't have many games pushing close to that, I'm not holding my breath for many games with meaningful high resolution textures pushing at 16GB.

The reason is similar as with bad RT, the hardware isn't there. It was irritating to see Cyberpunk try its best to keep under 8GB on 3090 meanwhile pop-ins and nearby LoD changes galored. The fantastic lighting just made the contrast with bad LoD all the more nauseous.

I wish for improvement in both, but this pop-in business has been around far longer and I really wished for it to be removed once the next-gen consoles came into picture. Here's to hoping there's a CP2077 next-gen upgrade.

but this pop-in business has been around far longer and I really wished for it to be removed once the next-gen consoles came into picture. Here's to hoping there's a CP2077 next-gen upgrade.
It's because engines are still CPU bound when it comes to LOD and the amount of details on screen, maxing out LOD and details will render your game unplayable.

There's no such thing as vendor neutral though. All code will prefer one architecture over another.
Of course, point was that it might be easy to do nice RT effects for NVIDIA, but choosing more neutral route could be completely different story and no developer should really favor one over the other, even when they of course do if for nothing else, the sponsorships

It's because engines are still CPU bound when it comes to LOD and the amount of details on screen, maxing out LOD and details will render your game unplayable.

Cp2077 is very bad about lod. And basicaly everything after a few meters. You can even see the lighting / shadowing changing on building while running for exemple. It's much more noticeable than in other games imo, it's ridiculous. It's not about cpu, it's about a weird, rush out, engine/game...

Cp2077 is very bad about lod. And basicaly everything after a few meters. You can even see the lighting / shadowing changing on building while running for exemple. It's much more noticeable than in other games imo, it's ridiculous. It's not about cpu, it's about a weird, rush out, engine/game...
Are you sure it's not the CP2077 settings you are using? Pretty sure I didn't notice any major lod issues.

Some really interesting performance results in FC6 that have nothing to do with RT. Ampere, RDNA 2 and Turing land about where you would expect them.

The 5700xt is impressive while the 6600xt falls behind. It could be the generally high vram usage overwhelming the small infinity cache. Pascal is terrible and Vega does very well.

Whatever the reason, it plays better on 6800 XT, wouldn't you agree?
Depends on what settings you're using.
With HD textures but without RT it plays better on 6800XT.
Without HD textures but with RT it plays better on 3080.
With both it generally plays better on cards with more VRAM.

The game is a technical mess though so it doesn't matter much where it plays better at the moment.
It doesn't produce anything in terms of visuals which would warrant such VRAM requirements.
And it does run fine on consoles with same HD textures meaning that it likely can fit fine into 10GBs of "fast" memory (XSX).
It should not be that hard to optimize it to run well on 3080 even with HD textures, it seems that the devs just didn't care.

Are you sure it's not the CP2077 settings you are using? Pretty sure I didn't notice any major lod issues.

I'm sure. You can see it in any youtube video too, even from CDPR. It's like, when you notice the "lod line", you can't unsee it.

Replace "VRAM" with "RT hardware", and you can hopefully understand why so many people are frustrated and underwhelmed with all the RT hype.

No, not really. The HD texture pack brings nothing world changing to the game. Basicallly they are the "psycho" setting from Cyberpunk's SSRs. Raytracing on the other hand is changing the whole visual appearence of a game.

No, not really. The HD texture pack brings nothing world changing to the game. Basicallly they are the "psycho" setting from Cyberpunk's SSRs. Raytracing on the other hand is changing the whole visual appearence of a game.

While RT has the halo of novelty it isn't automagically more important than textures. Better lighting cannot compensate for texture detail and vice versa.

Replace "VRAM" with "RT hardware", and you can hopefully understand why so many people are frustrated and underwhelmed with all the RT hype.
There are numerous examples of RT usage which improves the graphics quality beyond anything which would be possible without it. So I'm not sure what you're even trying to say. I mean it's not hard to imagine a slightly better detailed textures (and in case of FC6 I can't even say that I'm seeing anything out of the ordinary with HD textures being on), and I'm absolutely sure that this won't be anywhere close in its overall impact on IQ to what is possible with RT. See Quake 2 RTX as a glaring example.

And as for FC6 VRAM requirements - it manages to produce VRAM like stutters even on a 3090. It regularly show blurry streaming issues in 1080p on 3080 - while consuming about 7-8 GBs of VRAM. The game is a mess and it's VRAM requirements certainly aren't stemming from it using some incredibly detailed assets.

While RT has the halo of novelty it isn't automagically more important than textures. Better lighting cannot compensate for texture detail and vice versa.

Better reflections and lightning are necessary to improve texture quality. Without it every time screen space failures will result in a lifeless and boring texture quality.

No, not really. The HD texture pack brings nothing world changing to the game. Basicallly they are the "psycho" setting from Cyberpunk's SSRs.
Except consoles can use it without incident, so it's not exactly equivalent. The difference isn't huge mind you, but I expect 3080 owners to be a little miffed they're getting lower quality textures than a $300 Series S.

Except consoles can use it without incident, so it's not exactly equivalent. The difference isn't huge mind you, but I expect 3080 owners to be a little miffed they're getting lower quality textures than a $300 Series S.
Miffed with Far Cry 6? Nah, considering sponsorship and the very low effort put into having a quality RT product.

Miffed with Far Cry 6? Nah, considering sponsorship and the very low effort put into having a quality RT product.
I personally yawn at yet another Far Cry, but there are definitely PC owners who will play it, and the point isn't that it's a great game - but regardless of the reason, sub-optimal ports should be critiqued.

I haven't followed this closely, so don't know the details, but I thought the HD textures only required >10GB at 4K/Ultra/DXR? I believe the XSS runs at a dynamic 1440p which DSO states doesn't have any problem on the 3080 with the HD texture pack with other settings set to max. Nevertheless I would find it annoying that I can't run a texture pack on a 3080 at max settings that the consoles are able to run even at lesser settings. Given that the 3080 generally allows for superior texture quality when differences do exist to both the higher end consoles, it does suggest poor optimisation in this case, especially given that the sponsor is trying to differentiate themselves with larger VRAM.

I believe the XSS runs at a dynamic 1440p which DSO states doesn't have any problem on the 3080 with the HD texture pack with other settings set to max.
1. XSS doesn't have access to HD textures in FC6, XSX and PS5 only.
2. 3080 is having issues even in 1080p with HD textures streaming with the game consuming considerably less than 10GBs of VRAM.

Better reflections and lightning are necessary to improve texture quality. Without it every time screen space failures will result in a lifeless and boring texture quality.

No, texture detail is visible at any lighting model.

Back