Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
it will not be on store shelves long for starters

Already there. Go look on BrickSeek.com & try to find one in your area. COVID caused all of them to sell out. Can't even get a One S on Microsoft's site until October 7.

Tommy McClain

I remember that very small point in time when PS4 was $399 and then it went up to $450 lol.

Yeah it was only $399 for the first few months.

I actually wonder what the CAD price of XSX and PS5 will be. Microsoft's prices here are more aggressive to the point they are actually going under the conversion rate.

It's possible that while Sony might not want to be undercut in the US....they will stick to close to the conversion rate here and XSX ends up cheaper...

I wouldn't be totally shocked if we get a $599.99CAD XSX and a $649.99 or $674.99CAD PS5....but who knows..

Yeah it was only $399 for the first few months.

I actually wonder what the CAD price of XSX and PS5 will be. Microsoft's prices here are more aggressive to the point they are actually going under the conversion rate.

It's possible that while Sony might not want to be undercut in the US....they will stick to close to the conversion rate here and XSX ends up cheaper...

I wouldn't be totally shocked if we get a $599.99CAD XSX and a $649.99 or $674.99CAD PS5....but who knows..
Yea I would be as well. X1X landed at 599.99.
It seems like the limit on price imo. I'm also very curious to see what will happen.

It's not that small, even the PR says 60% smaller - that looks more like 75% smaller...it's not thick enough at least

It's the same width, about 5-10% shorter and about 50% as deep from the pictures. So 60% smaller seems about right. But depending on the angle it can look even smaller as 50% smaller depth at an angle will appear to be slimmer than that compared to the XBSX full depth at a similar angle.

Regards,
SB

XboxPope first fan design for the Series S. Look away if you don't like gawdy designs. LOL

Indeed. :runaway:

Though the design looks better in the larger images. I think the shrunken down Twitter image scaling made it look dirty as opposed to circuit-boardy, even on the yellow portion.

Just wandering thoughts. I would expect all those people who would normally wait until the price was under $400 (which could be years) are going to be sorely tempted to nab one of these at the first opportunity. The more price sensitive the customer, the more I would consider it likely they do not have a 4k display to being with. Hell, how many just on here are now going "Hmmm. I can nab a Series S and the PS5....." or "Need a second one anyway. Get one X and one S."

Something I hadn't really considered about potential purchasers. Just from reading other forums, and even twitter comments (painful, don't do it), this is apparently a big deal outside of the major homogeneous markets (NA, Australia, Japan and Europe). I think one of the posters was from Brazil. Poor exchange rates rates, just being poor from a global perspective, import taxes, official bans/ corruption/ grey market. Plenty of comments from people that this puts them in the game rather than leaving them on the outside looking in.

XboxPope first fan design for the Series S. Look away if you don't like gawdy designs. LOL
Someone needs to make a TMNT one with a turtle/sensei peering out of the sewer grate. Or just turn it into a Tivoli.

$300 is impressive for an ostensibly next-gen system. Hugely impressive if it's basically a 1080p XSX.

I'm with Rangers on it being tough to recommend a $400 XSS 1.5TB over a $500 XSX 1GB with optical, even if you only have a 1080p TV. That's with an optimistic $100 1TB expansion. What if I'm a pessimist and think they'll sell a 512GB for $80 and the 1TB for $150? I guess even a $380 1TB XSS is compelling vs $500 1TB XSX if you're not bringing forward old disc games.

I'd love to see how Smart Delivery handles 200GB monsters like COD:MW. How much free space would you have left after installing COD:MW and, say, GTA5 as a worst case scenario?

Last edited:
Just wandering thoughts. I would expect all those people who would normally wait until the price was under $400 (which could be years) are going to be sorely tempted to nab one of these at the first opportunity. The more price sensitive the customer, the more I would consider it likely they do not have a 4k display to being with. Hell, how many just on here are now going "Hmmm. I can nab a Series S and the PS5....." or "Need a second one anyway. Get one X and one S."

Something I hadn't really considered about potential purchasers. Just from reading other forums, and even twitter comments (painful, don't do it), this is apparently a big deal outside of the major homogeneous markets (NA, Australia, Japan and Europe). I think one of the posters was from Brazil. Poor exchange rates rates, just being poor from a global perspective, import taxes, official bans/ corruption/ grey market. Plenty of comments from people that this puts them in the game rather than leaving them on the outside looking in.
I will use my sister for example.

My brother in law plays so he would get a series x for the basement where he typically plays. My nephew plays but is big into it , he would most likely get a series x . But my niece isn't nearly as big into it and she has my nephews older tv that isn't 4k. So my Sister will get her a series s.

My cousin has the same issue. I think her son and youngest daughter will get a series s. They would get an x for the living room where she would play and her daughter in college would get a series x or s.

They can get almost 2 series s for the price of a series x. If ps5 comes in at the same price as the x then you have the same pricing.

It took my sister almost 4 years for them to get that many xbox one / x units and my niece's xbox one is the original one that my brother in law upgrade to an x from. Now my sister is most likely going to grab them all this holiday. employees will most likely see a 15% discount also. If they give a $100 for the one and $150-$200 for the x its even cheaper to upgrade

I kind of wonder if it would be a win if Microsoft were to put in big HUGE letters on the box.

Designed for gaming on a 1080p TV.

Just to drive home that if you have a 1080 HDTV, then you gain very little additional benefit from a console designed with a 4k target in mind...like the XBSX...or other consoles.

So, 299 USD for the same experience on a 1080p TV as you would get with a 399/499/599 USD console.

Or perhaps.

Same gaming experience on a 1080p TV as a XBSX or PS5 at almost half the price!

OK, perhaps you wouldn't want to call out your other premium console or the competition in such a way. But that's basically what you are getting with the XBSS. Well minus the exclusives in PS5s case.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
kind of wonder if it would be a win if Microsoft were to put in big HUGE letters on the box.

Designed for gaming on a 1080p TV.

Just to drive home that if you have a 1080 HDTV, then you gain very little additional benefit from a console designed with a 4k target in mind...like the XBSX...or other consoles.

You don't want to put off all the 4K TV owners who the S is perfectly fine for. You don't want to be putting off people who might be considering a 4K TV. You want them thinking they're getting a next gen bargain.

It's the same width, about 5-10% shorter and about 50% as deep from the pictures. So 60% smaller seems about right. But depending on the angle it can look even smaller as 50% smaller depth at an angle will appear to be slimmer than that compared to the XBSX full depth at a similar angle.

Regards,
SB

Yes, I was referring to the other video which makes it look thicker - it's like a weird optical trick as it looks more than 60% and the video looked more inline with my expectations.

I squirrled away some cash & was on the fence regarding S or X. If the $499 price holds I'm considering buying the X outright but also getting the S for $25/mo via All Access. I will need to extend my GPU anyway. That will allow me to get rid of the fat XB1 & the XB1S. I was considering going 4 consoles with the 4th going to my youngest, but I think it might be better to get a 2nd XBSS when it's his turn.

Tommy McClain

Right. But at least the cat owner will be able to tell the cat is doing harm.
That's more or less what I thought as well. It ensures people understand that things can't be on top of it or blocking it sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back