*merged/spinoff* for the Neverending Killzone Discussion on Graphics

Trust me I know what I'm seeing here, mapping can only go so far. This Crysis 2 shot is about 1.7m polys on High setting and the kz3 shot below looks at least as dense if not more.
Sorry, but the horse statue alone appears to have more triangles than all the buildings in the Killzone shot combined.

Sorry, but the horse statue alone appears to have more triangles than all the buildings in the Killzone shot combined.
That's the most absurd statement I've ever heard in this forum, maybe I'll believe you if that horse statue was tessellated in DX11 mode. Anything at that distance can look roundish.

...now put advance(medium) settings of the same scene and you will get 40% less polygons in debug but the scene complexity will look exactly the same.

Thats no way to judge it and it is becoming rather boring because you got info straight from the GG engine yet you people are trying to guess poly count just by looking at the picture.

Isn't the geometry info given in the screencap?

Some assessment, whether you choose to believe it is up to you. Like I said, I would love to be in your shoes.
Funny enough, the low wall around the fountain is reminiscent of the Killzone buildings in terms of detail.

wireframe5yn5.jpg

I dunno who ct03 is or where he works, but he's got a lot of good observations going on here.

On the other hand it is the illusion that we all in this business are going for. Doesn't matter how we make the audience believe, all that matters is if it works.
It's a lot easier to do though, when the audience wants to be impressed and they're willing to trick themselves.

ct03 has it ever occurred to you that there's more than one way to show high polycount? I can see a lot more individual objects big and small in that kz3 shot, it overwhelms with sheer quantity if not all of them are as round as the horse.

ct03 has it ever occurred to you that there's more than one way to show high polycount? I can see a lot more individual objects big and small in that kz3 shot, it overwhelms with sheer quantity if not all of them are as round as the horse.
As "lots of individual" objects you mean those rocks on the ground and buildings that are looking destroyed?Yea,they are all kind of simple,square like shape.It still looks nice and dense but I think this is what people were saying about making difference.Level design and artstyle.

As "lots of individual" objects you mean those rocks on the ground and buildings that are looking destroyed?Yea,they are all kind of simple,square like shape.It still looks nice and dense but I think this is what people were saying about making difference.Level design and artstyle.
Add to that destroyed vehicles, intruders, flags, burned trees, flying cruisers, Helghast soldiers and miscellaneous destroyed structures littering around. Yeah, if you played that game you would know every single details and objects that were there and not everything are square and rectangles.

Alright fine. You want it, you got it. This thread will be the leftovers. EoS. Here it is in one single thread.

Add to that destroyed vehicles, intruders, flags, burned trees, flying cruisers, Helghast soldiers and miscellaneous destroyed structures littering around. Yeah, if you played that game you would know every single details and objects that were there and not everything are square and rectangles.

The same applies to C2. Levels are filled with details, from trees, grass, small objects, props, cars, flags, etc...

The comparison shots posted earlier are bad since show a bird's eye view of the KZ3 scene while only ground view for C2.

This video helps with that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udUgCLcopiM

So basically even in this scene there aren't anything close to a million triangles visible?
http://i52.tinypic.com/rhrj2e.jpg

If so, I definitely see how looks can be deceiving in terms of geomety complexity.

MS definitely needs better art for its exclusive titles. As pretty much any gamer would think that KZ or UC push more geometry than Halo Reach etc.

So basically even in this scene there aren't anything close to a million triangles visible?

If so, I definitely see how looks can be deceiving in terms of geomety complexity.

MS definitely needs better art for its exclusive titles. As pretty much any gamer would think that KZ or UC push more geometry than Halo Reach etc.

I don't think most gamers argue about scene complexity generally speaking. I've seen forum posters talk about things like that when Capcom put out their PR about RE5 and when DF called FF13 simple in terms of geometry, but other than that its not as commonplace as comparing models, textures, commenting on lighting, etc.

I dont know how many polygons it may be pushing but since the camera in the particular picture is viewing most of the scenery from a distance there is an obvious LOD going on that reduces the perceived poly count. Traversing that environment shows the amazing detail of the environment better because not only there is the draw distance, but there are countless of individual and unique objects lying everywhere around you while the environment also boasts great lighting effects, and unbelievable texture variety and quality for a console game.

Back