"PS3 Dev Future Brighter Than Xbox?" “Is The Talent Tide Starting To Turn For Sony?”

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEXAN*

Banned
http://www.nowgamer.com/features/337/ps3-dev-future-brighter-than-xbox

PS3 Dev Future Brighter Than Xbox?

With some of the biggest developers signing up to work on Sony’s console, can Microsoft keep up?

During promotion for it’s first PlayStation 3 title, the multiplatform fantasy RPG Dragon Age: Origins, BioWare has been singing the praises of developing for Sony’s hardware.

Vice President of the studio and parent company Electronic Arts , Greg Zeschuk told VideoGamer: “It's actually been quite good. We discovered a couple of things we did were pretty beneficial. We have multiple threads going for the game and it looks really great on the PS3. You can just throw them on all different processors, for example.”

“Is the talent tide starting to turn for Sony?”

The company previously had an obligation to develop for the Xbox 360 because of a publishing deal with Microsoft, but are now relishing the opportunity to work on a new platform: “Actually it was very exciting,” explained Zeschuk . ”People on the team were really pumped to work on it. They were like, wow. We have a lot of people that like doing new stuff and trying new things, and they were like, wow another platform, can't wait! It's been good.”

Speculation has also risen recently over whether the developer’s sequel to Mass Effect could well reach the PS3, with Electronic Arts confirming that it owns the IP, although it may be subject to a exclusivity deal. The point is, that with BioWare enthusiastically jumping aboard the Sony rollercoaster, along with no other than Valve who earlier this week stated they are looking to build a dedicated in-house PS3 team, is the talent tide starting to turn for Sony?

The PS3 already has a number of exclusive titles available or in development from studios such as Naughty Dog (Uncharted), Media Molecule (LittleBigPlanet) Guerrilla Games (Killzone 2) and Quantic Dream (Heavy Rain), as well as support from all the major cross-platform developers such as EA, Konami, Capcom, Infinity Ward and Rockstar.

Meanwhile Microsoft has become reliant on exclusive action shooters such as its Halo series and Epic’s Gears of War franchise, as well as in-house titles from Lionhead, and a host of DLC which it continues to throw money at -the once great Rare has been in decline since it stopped developing for Nintendo bought by Microsoft and stopped developing for Nintendo.

Speaking of which, the Japanese giant continues to innovate with first-party titles in a way that perhaps both Sony and Microsoft will only manage when motion-controllers hit both consoles. But in a constantly shifting industry, the ‘evolve or die’ mantra is becoming increasingly relevant to Microsoft and its console - as it loses more exclusivity from developers the consoles long-term prospects will undoubtedly be under threat.

Not a lot of substance to this article. The "meanwhile" paragraph is basically nonsense given what MS is releasing this fall. If we are counting PC ports as significant, then Dragon Age is a drop in the bucket compared to all of the other PC games that get ported to the XBox 360 year after year (that get mostly ignored by the media and dismissed on B3D). OTOH, if some huge PC phenomenon like Sims 3 or Starcraft 2 came to the PS3 and not the 360, then there'd be something substantial to discuss. Imagine if Blizzard announced across-the-board support for the PS3... that would be a tide change.

This is pretty much a fan boy article, turning a PR declaration from Bioware in something that is not.
Basically Bioware declaration is empty/meaningless like "we have multiple threads blabla" if they manage to run ME 1&2 and dragon age on one core and only one thread on the 360 I would be pretty amazed by their cleverness :LOL:
This comes pretty much in line with all the talk actually about the 360 being more than capped/maxed out, need for something more powerful to keep up with concurrence, etc. Usual bullshit...
Anyway, it was a good PR as clearly a part of the PS3 user base like to hear this kind of comments.
Other than that I understand that they are happy ~40% more potential buyers is more than welcome for anybody.

More PS3 fanboyism at news sites:

bit-tech's Joe Martin happily announces "Valve hiring in-house PS3 programmers" 3rd July 2009
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/07/03/valve-building-a-ps3-development-team/1

Valve might be about to turn that around though as Doug Lomardi has mentioned that Valve is now very "up on the idea of PS3 development" and is looking to hire a team of PS3 coders. That's a far cry from comments made by Gabe Newell last year, when he said that developing for the PS3 would be "a waste of everybody's time".

Doug's actual words in the CVG article 2nd July 2009:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=218770
Until we have the ability to get a PS3 team together, until we find the people who want to come to Valve or who are at Valve who want to work on that, I don't really see us moving to that platform.

That seems to me like, until EA gives us a couple of million to copy our pc/360 development team, I can't see us doing anything on the PS3 anymore.

What is it with these "reporters"? did they personally get diddled by Ken Katuragi way back when? They're spinning "I don't really see us moving to that platform" into "we're hiring a team of developers" in the blink of an eye.

Does owning a
postps3.gif
make you blind?

This article does not justify a new thread.

Also, as I've pointed out before, creating a thread about such an article, quoting the entire thing then providing no insight, technical analysis or comment of any kind is reason to have a thread closed.

As this is also a blatant 'vs' thread - something the B3D rules discourage unless there is merit in the discussion.
Finally, there already are threads for Dragon Age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back