No good tablets on the market

I've been looking at getting a tablet for a while now but I'm shocked that even today it seems impossible to buy a tablet that doesn't have one or two major downsides.

Basically I'm looking for something around 8 inches that I can use when traveling or for some light browsing at home. I won't use it for anything demanding, only movies, browsing and maybe some simple games.

I've been looking at tablets costing around 400 euro's. For that kind of money I expect a decent soc, screen and build quality. My three year old HTC One M7 still checks all those boxes and that was something like 500 euros when it came out so I was under the impression 400 euro's should get me something decent.

It seems not.

I started out looking at Windows tablets because I already have a Android phone so I really wanted to try something else. Another major plus for me is support for files over 4gb.

Well, looking at Windows tablets around 400 euro's that came with some kind of physical video out (like to be able to hook it up easily at hotels) you really only have two choices.

- HP pro tablet 408 G1
- Lenovo Thinkpad 8

The HP comes with a crappy low res screen that isn't usable in direct sunlight and the Lenovo comes with a crappy HD screen that isn't usable outside. On videos the Lenovo also looks like it has the same build quality as a cheap laptop rather than the pretty good finish you get on Android devices in this price class.

So the only decent Windows tablets you can buy is MS's Surface line but than you're looking at spending at least 600 euro's and there is no 8 inch version.

In other words, Windows tablets are a no go.

That leaves you with Android. Okay, fair enough. Except I don't think any Android device will accept files over 4gb on the sd card which makes the whole thing useless because I'm sure as hell not going to bother with converting media.

Other than that there are some nice devices. Got a look at the Galaxy tab S2 at the airport the other day and though I'm not a big fan of Samsung this one looked pretty decent. Too bad about the 4:3 screen though, won't be very good for watching movies on long flights. Though probably still better than those crappy airplane screens.

I did watch some videos on my girlfriends iSomething and 16:9 content is doable. Looked at the Z3 tablet compact as well, the design is neat and the waterproofing is a nice bonus (even though Sony is no claiming their waterproof rating doesn't mean their devices are actually water proof lol...) though I'm not sure if Sony is any good when it comes to software updates. XDA seems pretty dead as far as custom roms go.

Long story short: Why can't Windows tablet manufacturers make tablets with decent screens and why don't Android tablets have support for files over 4gb? It's 2015 for Christs sake.

No I won't buy a fucking iPad.

I've seen Galaxy Tabs with 16:9 screens, but maybe these are above your price limit?

The 4GB limit seems very strange and dumb in today's day and age. You can't even fit a high bitrate DVD movie in that limit, much less something full-HD...

Does not Android support mounting ext234 partitions? Probably needs root though.

Windows on a tablet gives pretty awful user experience.

1 - Windows tablets right now are restricted to the old Bay Trail CPUs and most 8" models will have a low resolution unless you go towards chinese models.
If you were looking for 10-11" models you could choose from tons of different models with Core M, Cherry Trail and whatnot.
Since you limited yourself to 8", the best you can have is probably this one:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-tablet-series/yoga-tablet-2-win-8/
1920*1200 screen, 2x2 5GHz Wifi, decent front-facing stereo speakers, BayTrail and 2GB LPDDR3 and an embedded stand. The only thing you don't get is HDMI out, which is only present in the 10 and 13" models.

2 - Android supports external storage (MicroSD, external hard drive) with NTFS, so you're good to go with pretty much any model. A 8", you'll get a lot more diversity within your budget.

Yups, android can mount ntfs just fine.

Btw android usually also support USB host so external media also works.

Sony Z lines always get latest android update, including the very old no longer produced ones. But Sony always LATE when releasing update.

Windows tablet currently filled with cheap screens. The only cheap tablet with ips screen is the 2015 Asus transformed t100. But its 10 inch

My phone didn't support NTFS, at least not on micro SD card. Then again, suddenly my phone can't accept FAT, thus I use ext4. It works without rooting (my phone is rooted but stock).
The thing is, you don't need NTFS or ext partition. For 4GB files (and large SD card?) you can use exFAT.

I'm waiting to see if they'll release a Surface mini, but I'm also looking at the Asus Zenpad S 8.0 and the Acer Predator 8 as well. I think the size is about right for the light type of handheld gaming I would do on these tablets.

I'm really hoping they'll announce a Shield Tablet 2, but I've narrowed my choices to these for now.

I know I'll be picking a full size Surface this year for school. It'll be a Surface Pro 3 or 4 depending on price/performance/feature comparisons.

I would go Windows. It is vastly more powerful than Android or IOS. Fewer silly apps though. I suggest not getting overly caught up on popular high resolution nonsense, especially for desktop use which you probably will want to use. 1280x800 is not a downside at 8" IME.

I would not expect more than FAT32 from Android. NTFS and exFAT are hit or miss because they involve licensing.

HDMI at 8" is indeed less common. It's not something I really look for so no suggestions. I do use it with a 10" Windows Baytrail tablet that I've turned into a HTPC though.

I suggest looking at used tablets and saving a lot of money.

Last edited:
Actually, if an andoid device said it would support at least 64GB card, I'm pretty sure that it would support exFAT. The one that govern the SD card standard only allowed 32GB max for FAT32 and adopted exFAT as a standard for 64GB and up. I believe when I bought 64GB SanDisk and Samsung branded mSD, it came with exFAT.

I've seen Galaxy Tabs with 16:9 screens, but maybe these are above your price limit?

The 4GB limit seems very strange and dumb in today's day and age. You can't even fit a high bitrate DVD movie in that limit, much less something full-HD...

Those are older models I think? The Tab S is 16:10, the new S2 is 4:3.

1 - Windows tablets right now are restricted to the old Bay Trail CPUs and most 8" models will have a low resolution unless you go towards chinese models.
If you were looking for 10-11" models you could choose from tons of different models with Core M, Cherry Trail and whatnot.
Since you limited yourself to 8", the best you can have is probably this one:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-tablet-series/yoga-tablet-2-win-8/
1920*1200 screen, 2x2 5GHz Wifi, decent front-facing stereo speakers, BayTrail and 2GB LPDDR3 and an embedded stand. The only thing you don't get is HDMI out, which is only present in the 10 and 13" models.

2 - Android supports external storage (MicroSD, external hard drive) with NTFS, so you're good to go with pretty much any model. A 8", you'll get a lot more diversity within your budget.

I've looked at that one too but no HDMI out is a no go and the design is lobsided. Doesn't look like its very nice to hold.

I would go Windows. It is vastly more powerful than Android or IOS. Fewer silly apps though. I suggest not getting overly caught up on popular high resolution nonsense, especially for desktop use which you probably will want to use. 1280x800 is not a downside at 8" IME.

I would not expect more than FAT32 from Android. NTFS and exFAT are hit or miss because they involve licensing.

HDMI at 8" is indeed less common. It's not something I really look for so no suggestions. I do use it with a 10" Windows Baytrail tablet that I've turned into a HTPC though.

I suggest looking at used tablets and saving a lot of money.

That is one of the reasons I was looking into Windows tablets because they can run some stuff you can't on Android. It's not a absolute must but it's definitely a plus. I want to stay away from the desktop as much as possible, otherwise I might as well get a laptop (which is exactly what I don't want).

I could live with 1280x800 if the screen was good but it seems all Windows tablet under 400 euro's come with a crappy screen which is rather sad when you consider the likes of Samsung can make pretty much perfect HD+ screens for that kind of money yet Windows tablets have to make do with shitty screens. At the very least good IQ, viewing angles and brightness should be a given.

@Rurouni yeah exfat support is more wide than ntfs from my experience with ROMs.

I rather not base a 400 euro purchase on whether or not somebody makes a custom rom.

Guess the only way to be safe is to take a mSD card with me to the store and test.

Is HDMI-out that important if you can just get a palm-sized Android box/stick for as little as $50 or even a thumb-sized Miracast/WiDi adapter for $35 or less?

It seems like you're not going with very realistic demands to start with.
8" tablets don't usually come with HDMI-out. What you can get are MHL ports and AFAIK those are pretty much exclusive to Android tablets and you'll still be using the only USB port for video-out, meaning you can't charge it in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you need more than the 4GB limit? You can fit most videos with a little compression in under 4GB easily.

Well, I think I found the OP's desired tablet. Too bad it won't be out before a month or two:

sluZsSB.jpg

The Latitude Travel Dock has all kinds of outputs, HDMI included.

I could live with 1280x800 if the screen was good but it seems all Windows tablet under 400 euro's come with a crappy screen which is rather sad when you consider the likes of Samsung can make pretty much perfect HD+ screens for that kind of money yet Windows tablets have to make do with shitty screens. At the very least good IQ, viewing angles and brightness should be a given.
As long as it's not a TN or VA panel, you shouldn't find much to complain about. These are fairly rare unless you go really cheap.

Last edited:
Well, I think I found the OP's desired tablet. Too bad it won't be out before a month or two:

sluZsSB.jpg

The Latitude Travel Dock has all kinds of outputs, HDMI included.

That looks good and may fit my portable wants. I didn't see any news on memory configurations or expansion. Ideally I'd like a minimum of 64 BG with microSD expansion support. I hope the price is right at around $300-$400.

I was thinking of going with an 8 inch tablet for casual gaming/surfing/vid consumption and either the 12 (or 14 inch) if announced Surface Pro for school. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I need the extra real estate for larger fonts.

As that 4GB limit is rejecting most otherwise nice (android) tablets, have you maybe considered to just split the movie files? (it's not re-encoding, a tool could slice those files during the copy)
Most movie formats are made for streaming anyway, you could slice the movie files into 2 or 3 parts and place all the files of one movie into the playlist, there would be just a minor interruption.

Back