*merged/spinoff* for the Neverending Killzone Discussion on Graphics

the number of triangles havent been a major issue since we got hardware t&l (a decade ago?)
a terrain vs lots of boxs?
in 99% of cases the terrain will be quicker to draw.
heres the reasons why
A/ less draw calls (the terrain will be anywhere from 1 to X number of patches ~60 maybe), typically each box requires a draw call
B/ less material changes. the terrain is the same, but typically the boxs will have different materials (shader/textures)
C/ less overdraw (not applicable if zpass)

even if the terrain has 10x the number of vertices than all the boxes onscreen combined (if the boxes have terrain like screen coverage), if your terrain is rendering slower
youre doing something wrong (tm)

In that case, the giant boxes are the terrain. I'm confused.

terrain2.jpg

If you like this sort of things, go play Lair. ^_^
Flying over 32x32km land mass, ocean and castle @ 1080p, then swoop down to fight with soldiers on foot. ^_^

So basically even in this scene there aren't anything close to a million triangles visible?
http://i52.tinypic.com/rhrj2e.jpg

If so, I definitely see how looks can be deceiving in terms of geomety complexity.

From the DF article, you should know that internally the system may generate more triangles than the tangible structures (e.g, shadows).

Also part of the beauty may be due to extra post processing. If you play the game, you may feel like building a condo in that junkyard because it's rather pretty.

What about open world game set in wild west?I do remember people knocking it because "low poly" count.:smile:

People just can't articulate what they really mean, and that's probably # of objects and "detail" rather than true poly counts. I mean, any tessellated water surface (e.g. Halo 3+, Gears 2+, Crysis+, Resistance 2+...) is going to be rich in triangles. And just think about what happens to the count if you remove Crysis 1's forests entirely! (or Gears 2, Alan Wake...)

If you like this sort of things, go play Lair. ^_^
Flying over 32x32km land mass, ocean and castle @ 1080p, then swoop down to fight with soldiers on foot. ^_^

Lair is full 1080? On another note, perhaps Sony should revisit Lair next-gen and turn it into a pretty good IP like Killzone.

No, it's 960x1080 or so, doing some multisample buffer trick. Looked pretty ugly IMHO.
And Lair is kinda lost with Factor 5 closing shop... Sony might have the IP but it doesn't have anything going for it, a big flop in sales and no media buzz or fan base to support a revival.

No, it's 960x1080 or so, doing some multisample buffer trick. Looked pretty ugly IMHO.
And Lair is kinda lost with Factor 5 closing shop... Sony might have the IP but it doesn't have anything going for it, a big flop in sales and no media buzz or fan base to support a revival.

Could say the same about Killzone...although of course Lair being much worse off. But in any case slipped my mind F5 closed down. What a shame.....

Could say the same about Killzone...although of course Lair being much worse off. But in any case slipped my mind F5 closed down. What a shame.....

Yeah. It didn't help that Greg Miller of IGN rated Lair a 4.9, which led to months of 'Factor 4.9' jokes at F5's expense on Neo-Gaf. ;)

They tried to do too much. The game suffered as a result (Too many rough edges). Music was pretty good. The giant sea serpent fight was interesting but people didn't like the compulsory SIXAXIS implementation. You should be able to play the PSN demo today.

As far as terrain goes, you will see them in the game. You can see the LOD adjusting as you fly across the landscape though. The levels are so big that it's hard to find the enemies (They appeared as a dot until you fly closer with no radar).

They tried to do too much. The game suffered as a result (Too many rough edges). Music was pretty good. The giant sea serpent fight was interesting but people didn't like the compulsory SIXAXIS implementation. You should be able to play the PSN demo today.

As far as terrain goes, you will see them in the game. You can see the LOD adjusted as you fly across the landscape though. The level was so big that it's hard to find the enemies (They appeared as a dot until you fly closer with no radar).

I think that was a game ahead of its time and shouldn't have been flight based only.

Besides aerial combat, you can land and fight foot soldiers + land equipments, fight with another dragon rider, or melee another dragon. It's the bugs and gameplay flaws that killed the game. The generally negative feelings against SIXAXIS and Sony at that time also took its toll on the game.

Besides aerial combat, you can land and fight foot soldiers + land equipments, fight with another dragon rider, or melee another dragon. It's the bugs and gameplay flaws that killed the game. The generally negative feelings against SIXAXIS and Sony at that time also took its toll on the game.

I meant it would of been awesome if you could get off your dragon for some action adv gameplay.

The technology forum says it's two 800x1080 buffers merged for 1600x1080.

It's the bugs and gameplay flaws that killed the game. The generally negative feelings against SIXAXIS and Sony at that time also took its toll on the game.
I agree 100%. The whole "they copied Nintendo" and "Sony is so arrogant" thing didn't help at all. A lot of people seemed to be "waiting in the wings" to find a flaw in that game and Factor 5 gave them plenty of ammo to use!

When I think about how far Factor 5 could have come with their tech on the PS3 by now, I get very sad. :cry:

Some assessment, whether you choose to believe it is up to you. Like I said, I would love to be in your shoes.
Funny enough, the low wall around the fountain is reminiscent of the Killzone buildings in terms of detail.

wireframe5yn5.jpg

I don't work with this stuff, just modeled some on a hobby-basis, and helped pointing when my friend did most of the models in this intro, back in 2004/5, as you can see on one of the monsters wireframe there. It's not that advanced modeling program we used (called animation-master, ought to be called crash-master or bluescreen-master), we did a dragon and a human face with much more details and dots and wires later tough but didn't use them in animations wich we still got.

I've allways found the gun models in Killzone 2 and 3 to look really good.

(Couldn't find proper quality screens.. but captured some paused eurogamer-video to illustrate what i mean by the reload-sequence).
To mee it looks to be faces on wirefame on the part you had put wire on the gun. :-/

Anyway, I tought it looked much more amazing when playing than it do in screens or videos. Havn't gotten around to getting Crysis 2 yet, only seen videos so far, I didn't think it looked as good as Killzone 3 on them, and not as fun either.. So not sure when I get to see it for myself to do a proper comparison.
Currently playing Motorstorm and got Top Spin 4 in the mail today, so might be a while. :-/

Back